Model Cars Magazine Forum

Ford GT40 mk II Daytona '67

FabbricaP

Hi all,

Recently finished this mostly OOB build of the Shelby GT40 driven by Ronnie Bucknam and Frank Gardner at the 1967 Daytona 24 hours. This car DNF'd with transmission trouble, but I needed an excuse to build a Guardsman Blue GT40 :)

I used a Fujimi kit intended to be a GT40 run at 12 hrs of Sebring in '67. I filled in the holes on the rear cowl originally intended for the snorkels and cut out the front air intake. Used Shunko decals, MCW Guardsman Blue, Tamiya Clear, PE set from Studio27 and the kit provided PE set. This kit was a fun quick build before I get into a more lengthy project planned next.

Thanks for looking in!

i4fN6Af.jpg

yUbRAaP.jpg

PuXc53E.jpg

Qg7GYwN.jpg

2I9Py82.jpg

XbicY28.jpg

d8cYiK8.jpg

YKLVPWZ.jpg

Edited by FabbricaP
Typo

5 hours ago, crossfire 2004 said:

Beautiful build Jason, can I ask what the 2 large aluminium boxes either side of the exhausts are ? I don’t recall seeing those on another GT40.

Would you believe luggage?? Cars in this class were required to have some sort of luggage compartment. Of course I wouldn't want to put any type of groceries back there. It could be cooked by the time you got it home! :D

31 minutes ago, MrObsessive said:

Would you believe luggage?? Cars in this class were required to have some sort of luggage compartment. Of course I wouldn't want to put any type of groceries back there. It could be cooked by the time you got it home! :D

Thanks for clearing that up for me Bill, they say every day is a school day.

6 hours ago, MrObsessive said:

Wow, didn’t know this was luggage either!

The luggage space was one of the weird requirement the the Gran Touring class.  Touring ment just that.  Taking a trip.  Also the reason for two seats instead of one.  Hubby and wife on a leisurely drive down to Monte Carlo for the weekend.  Yup, that's just what a GT40 was good at!:lol:

3 hours ago, afx said:

Also had to carry a spare on board.

Image result for ford gt40 spare tire

Oh, yes, forgot about the spare, 'cause you get a flat at 200 mph on the Mulsanne Straight, your going to just jump right out and change the tire! :lol:  Now, what did I do with that lug wrench and jack?