Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar D-Type XKD 606

FabbricaP

Hi everyone,

I just started in on what will be a long and fun build. This is the 1/24 1957 Jaguar D-Type from Profil24. Ivor Bueb and Ron Flockhart drove this car to victory at the 1957 24 Hours of Le Mans for Ecurie Ecosse.

The kit is very well molded and after a bit of cleaning up, the major body parts seem to fit together quite well. The various chassis parts also seem to be well molded and went together nicely on first test fits. Will be using epoxy putty to correct some small imperfections tomorrow. I'm planning on adding a lot of detail to this one and painting it Tamiya Metallic Blue (TS-19) over black. 

Thanks for looking in!

dn6Bkka.jpg

euIGe5N.jpg

BhONChh.jpg

0TodqtF.jpg

MzswLbG.jpg

EFj6h55.jpg

Ux46Zvv.jpg

The kit includes both right and left side doors. A left side door is already molded in with the body, but Profil24 was nice enough to include another left side. I think I am going to leave the left side molded in.

a2Tj7MO.jpg

n1XlZtp.jpg

7jKJrFZ.jpg

Edited by FabbricaP

Beautiful Kit!! :wub:

D-Types are one of my absolute favorite road racers of the '50's! I'll be following along to see what you do with it! And yes, Profil24's kits are very nice, but they can cost a pretty penny.............I've got their Maserati 450S kit which is so nice, one can just marvel at the parts molding and be impressed with that!

I'm excited to see this come together, especially with the care and skill I'm sure you'll give it. Since it's a semi-monocoque they could have left the rear hafd of the car buttoned up and still had a virtually full-detail kit, but it appears they included the spare tire and fuel filler detail, too. Can't wait to see more!

Progress has been slow, but I got a first primer coat on. This is my first time building a resin kit and I’ve found it takes a lot more pre-paint prep work cutting, sanding etc.

The original head rest surface didn’t really look like leather so I re-made the surface with epoxy putty,. Thanks for looking.

4b7T73H.jpg

YYArjHc.jpg

Ga3WMXY.jpg

tHGrkRH.jpg

u6a7m7P.jpg

On 3/11/2018 at 7:44 AM, afx said:

Wish they would offer the engine and wheel/tires separately, they look state of the art.

Agree,other than the body, the engine and wheels are the most impressive parts of the kit imo.

PS : If anybody could help with insight on engine wiring for this car I'd appreciate it alot. Been searching the web for good reference pictures but I cant figure out where the attachment points are on the engine for the wiring. Thanks all!

Some more progress...

Finished body/chassis work and got the final primer coat on. Also got a lot of painting done on other parts including the engine. did a quick mock up of the work so far. I will be using these beautiful aluminum velocity stacks from RB Motion. Thanks for looking !

I7C4ZFq.jpg

hpcDkOs.jpg

hPMPXJS.jpgXVsWPGb.jpg

ZyCnyaf.jpg

QnGZVUy.jpg

EYLOzfu.jpg

TO6ZjvB.jpg