Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jaguar D-Type XKD 606

FabbricaP

Wet sanded the primer and got two coats of Tamiya TS-19 Metallic Blue on. Also got the seats done. Unfortunately I can't start on other areas before body painting is nearly complete with the way the front monocoque and body are molded together. Thanks for looking in!

YwCWo4T.jpg

mSXOtIS.jpg

yIqEKo2.jpg

3YllOWd.jpg

07apC9n.jpg

Txczqei.jpg

Edited by FabbricaP

2 hours ago, afx said:

Looking good Jason.  What book are you using for reference I see in the background?

Thanks JC. The title of the book is "Jaguar D-Type Owners' Workshop Manual." It's an awesome book for model reference and history about this car. Heres a link to the publisher's site.

https://haynes.com/en-gb/jaguar-d-type-owners-workshop-manual

On 4/16/2018 at 8:38 AM, ismaelg said:

Looking really good!  Love it!

On 4/16/2018 at 8:51 AM, Randy D said:

Hi Jason,

Gorgeous paint and decal work my friend!!!!

Randy

Thank you I appreciate it! Going to have to be extra careful not to scratch the paintwork when building. The kit is fantastic but not very 'builder friendly'

Absolutely love this!! :wub:

Perfect blue color, and I never would have thought to use chopsticks for my wire separators! :D

I have that same book as you...........INVALUABLE for anyone wanting to really detail this out! I sure wish I had it back when I did my D Type back in 2000. I'll certainly be sure to use it if I ever get around to building an XKSS which is essentially the same car, just legalized for the street.

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

Absolutely love this!! :wub:

Perfect blue color, and I never would have thought to use chopsticks for my wire separators! :D

I have that same book as you...........INVALUABLE for anyone wanting to really detail this out! I sure wish I had it back when I did my D Type back in 2000. I'll certainly be sure to use it if I ever get around to building an XKSS which is essentially the same car, just legalized for the street.

Thanks Dann,

Totally agree Bill, this book is both an invaluable resource and a fun read. I saw it was published very recently just last year and decided its gotta be a signal to try a D-Type build :) I already want to build Revell's XKSS!

• 1 month later...

Some progress so far..

Made the dual fuel pumps from spare sprues and plumbed the fuel system. Hose attachments are a mix of Top Studio and Hobby Design resin parts.

QpxY8pV.jpg

u7PBq42.jpg

Added some detail to the cockpit with wires for the fuse boxes and voltage regulator. Also added switches and an ignition key slot using Hobby Design knobs and a photo etch hood latch part. Used clear sheet styrene to create gauge faces.

acz7vo1.jpg

tii7mIA.jpg

Next step will be rear axle and suspension assembly. Although this is a great kit, it's not very 'builder-friendly' as I will have to attach the whole rear assembly including the wheels essentially in one go.. fingers crossed.

The rear assembly components. I'll also be adding brake lines.

6FgldUC.jpg

KXSUfua.jpg

bCKUTmA.jpg

Thanks for looking in!

I'm absolutely lovin' the detail on this! It keeps bringing me back to when I was building my short nose D-Type nearly 20 years ago now!

Super slick paint job you got on her now.........that was one of the trickier parts for me as I had to paint mine essentially "inside/out". Building/painting the interior first, and then painting the outside nearly fully assembled. Or something to that effect........... :unsure: I used LOTS of Parafilm to keep the painted protected as the constant handling I had to do would have marred the paint eventually.

I think on mine I had to put the wheels on the suspension also at the same time due to the low cut rear wheel wells and put in everything as a unit. A wee bit tricky, but with all the terrific work you've done so far, I'm sure you'll pull this off. ;)

Edited by MrObsessive

1 hour ago, MrObsessive said:

I'm absolutely lovin' the detail on this! It keeps bringing me back to when I was building my short nose D-Type nearly 20 years ago now!

Super slick paint job you got on her now.........that was one of the trickier parts for me as I had to paint mine essentially "inside/out". Building/painting the interior first, and then painting the outside nearly fully assembled. Or something to that effect........... :unsure: I used LOTS of Parafilm to keep the painted protected as the constant handling I had to do would have marred the paint eventually.

I think on mine I had to put the wheels on the suspension also at the same time due to the low cut rear wheel wells and put in everything as a unit. A wee bit tricky, but with all the terrific work you've done so far, I'm sure you'll pull this off. ;)

Thanks Bill! Btw, what kit did you use for your short nose?

30 minutes ago, FabbricaP said:

Thanks Bill! Btw, what kit did you use for your short nose?

I converted ROG's Jaguar XKSS into the short nose D-Type as basically that's what those were, just made street legal. The hard part about that kit is getting the hood to lay flush against the cowl while you're assembling it. Other than that, it was crafting up the streamlined headrest and fin, the cockpit "split" or brace, and some interior changes. The photo album I have of that model can be seen here. The car I used as a reference was one that was featured in Road and Track magazine in the late '90's.

I have a couple of those Jag kits in my stash yet, and since I now have the Jaguar book I'd like to someday make a regular street going car out of that kit.

One of the prettiest designs of the '50's! :wub: