Model Cars Magazine Forum

1975 Monza--Completed 12/25/2018

• 2 weeks later...

It's finally back on the wheels! I still have the bumpers to finish, license plate, wipers, and some touch-up. I think I'll probably dummy up a fuel cell, too. The windshield gave me fits, and I finally settled on this one, after five attempts at heat forming, I decided I could live with this one. Anyway, it's getting closer! As always, questions/comments are welcome. It never fails--as soon as I publish photos, I see something I missed! Guess I'll have to sneak a brush with some flat black into the wheelwells! DOH!

DSC_0002cr.JPG

DSC_0004cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0008cr.jpg

DSC_0018cr.jpg

DSC_0022cr.jpg

DSC_0023cr.jpg

Thank you, all, gentlemen! I'm happy that you appreciate my "vision"! Rooster, I think you might be right, about a light wash, on the wheels. I dusted them with pastels, for brake dust, but, it's not really visible in the photos. I don't really want chrome-looking lugnuts, though. I painted them flat aluminum, because I wanted them to look like bare metal--you know, kind of utilitarian. Snake, I still have a few things to finish up, but, if I get them done, say, over the weekend, if I'm not too late, I think I'd like to throw in on the "Get 'er done" deal. That'll give me a few days to decide which of my flounders I want most to revive.

Upon looking at this thing, there's no way I'm getting any brush in those wheelwells, so, I guess I'm gonna' have to live with that. I'm disappointed in myself for several oversights I made. It's all stuff that I thought I'd "outgrown". Guess I'll be more aware of it, in the future. Overall, though, I'm very happy with it! Thank you, Steve. The Minilites really do work with this car. I was working on a Sunbeam Tiger, a while back, and it will have Minilites, as well. Beautiful wheels! A funny thing about the green, is that I have built three Monzas, through the years--the first being a brand spanking new MPC annual kit, in 1975 (maybe even late '74?). I've loved the body since they came out, but, I digress. Every one of them has been green!

Inching closer...I got the bumpers painted and foiled. I made the decals for the license plates. They are Montana's U.S. Bicentennial plates, with 1977 tags, which places them correctly, time-wise, for my internal "back story". The "Xanadu" isn't a reference to the movie of the same name, but, rather to Rush's great song from Farewell To Kings, released in 1977. The plates, themselves are .005" aluminum flashing. Also printed the "Flying Bison Garage" fender badges (since I shot these photos, I have applied Micro Sol to the fender badges, and they've snuggled right down). I followed Rooster's suggestion, and gave the wheels a wash of raw umber and permasol black oils, then, I hit them with Rub N Buff, again. I will pick out the lug nuts with a mixture of silver and aluminum. I had to laugh at myself, when I realized that I hadn't yet glued the wheels/tires to the rear axle--after I had resigned myself to having to live with the unpainted white plastic of the interior tub! That's fixed. About all I have left is to do, is to make the wipers, the fuel cell, and touch everything up (I think!). Hope you gents like it!

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0006cr.jpg

DSC_0009cr.jpg

DSC_0010cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0012cr2.jpg

I have been watching this build and the attention to details that you have used throughout. I like everything about it's appearance, and I think if someone didn't know what all you have done to the basic starting point they couldn't fully appreciate the model they are looking at. 

On 11/24/2018 at 8:52 PM, Snake45 said:

Looking good! You're reminding me that I NEED to take and post pics of the one I finished up a couple months ago, before you put this one Under Glass and make mine look like the backbirth turd that it is! :lol:

Yes, you do, sir. I'm guessing that description might be a bit harsh! :-)

On 11/25/2018 at 5:44 AM, montelsc said:

just bought one of these on ebay may start on it when the 300 is complete most likely going stock or mostly stock anyway

Michael, did you pick up a kit, or a promo? The first one I built (in '75, I guess, it was an original release annual) was a kit. This is the second one I've done, since. Of course, it's a promo. I have another promo that I built and stripped back down, that I plan to build a curbside model of Grump's car with. Already have the Cady sheet to do it. I have a kit, as well, but it's an '80. They can be had, fairly reasonably priced.

On 11/25/2018 at 6:00 AM, espo said:

I have been watching this build and the attention to details that you have used throughout. I like everything about it's appearance, and I think if someone didn't know what all you have done to the basic starting point they couldn't fully appreciate the model they are looking at. 

Thanks, Espo! I love making little detail items--that's where a great deal of my "zen", in modeling lies. I hope it's one of those models that people don't really notice, until they actually look at it. I prefer subtlety in my models. I'm working on the wipers, now. I have the arms cut out of .005" aluminum sheet. I need to finish filing them to shape. I am using flat nichrome wire to make the "bow" part of the blade assembly, and am still deciding what to use for the squeegees. I am open to suggestions, in that regard. At any rate, I am enjoying the "drive", as Snake likes to say!

On ‎11‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 6:38 PM, Straightliner59 said:

Yes, you do, sir. I'm guessing that description might be a bit harsh! :-)

Michael, did you pick up a kit, or a promo? The first one I built (in '75, I guess, it was an original release annual) was a kit. This is the second one I've done, since. Of course, it's a promo. I have another promo that I built and stripped back down, that I plan to build a curbside model of Grump's car with. Already have the Cady sheet to do it. I have a kit, as well, but it's an '80. They can be had, fairly reasonably priced.

Thanks, Espo! I love making little detail items--that's where a great deal of my "zen", in modeling lies. I hope it's one of those models that people don't really notice, until they actually look at it. I prefer subtlety in my models. I'm working on the wipers, now. I have the arms cut out of .005" aluminum sheet. I need to finish filing them to shape. I am using flat nichrome wire to make the "bow" part of the blade assembly, and am still deciding what to use for the squeegees. I am open to suggestions, in that regard. At any rate, I am enjoying the "drive", as Snake likes to say!

For straightliner59 its the 74 issue mpc kit not a promo got it at a good $$ 

20181201_134735_resized.jpg

6 hours ago, TarheelRick said:

This is one sweet Monza, and as has been mentioned your attention to detail is phenomenal.  For the wiper squeeges how about some .010 styrene sanded to fit?

Thanks, Rick. I think the thin strip might be the way to go. I was considering something more rubber-like, but, that always leaves the possibility of a reaction, as with the tires from old kits.

4 hours ago, mod3l Lover said:

I just caught up on this thread also, and this is awesome!!

Your details are really cool, stance is perfect, and love the 

color choice!!

David S.

Thank you, David. Glad you like it! Apparently, I have a thing for green Monzas!

On 11/24/2018 at 10:52 PM, Snake45 said:

Looking good! You're reminding me that I NEED to take and post pics of the one I finished up a couple months ago, before you put this one Under Glass and make mine look like the backbirth turd that it is! :lol:

Finally got around to posting mine up. If you want to see how good yours really is, go take a look at mine: :lol:

• 2 weeks later...