Model Cars Magazine Forum

1975 Monza--Completed 12/25/2018

• Straightliner59 changed the title to 1975 Chevy Monza One Headlight Assembly Done 07/28/18

I messed this up, but, it looks better than the factory item on the other side. The bezels are very fragile, and difficult to clean up for installation of the reflector pans and lenses. I broke this one in two places, in spite of the care I took, working on it.  I really should have planned ahead--well, I tried, but the project blew up, as I progressed! I wish I'd opened up the "grille", before paint --I won't be risking that, now. I already have a couple of spots to fix. Also, was I to do it over, I'd have carved out the backs of the headlight "buckets", before I painted, too. Anyhoo...Here's a look at one set of headlights, installed.

DSC_0001cr.jpg

DSC_0003cr.jpg

DSC_0004cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

14 hours ago, 66belair said:

Amazing work! I kinda have a sorry spot for these cars. Was this a promo you  started with? I’ve been poking a t few kits on line and at one shows, they are getting a little pricey.

Yes, Mike. This one is a promo. I picked up one of the later kits a little over a year ago on Ebay for a fairly reasonable price. Thank you for your kind words!

12 hours ago, rsxse240 said:

It looks infinitely better than the original headlight!  Now all there is to do is replicate it on the other side!  

Looks great, friend.  Keep it up and keep on posting updates!

Thanks, Ken! Yeah...I've started on the other one. I might have it done in another week!grin

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/17/2018 at 8:40 PM, Snake45 said:

They look great! You do realize that to live up to the excellent looks of the lights, now you're going to have to open up those vents in the front, don't you? B)

BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH (Hahaha! suddenly, I'm Alex Lifeson!), Snake, as soon as the first coat of paint hit the body, I was kicking myself for not doing it! The project kind of blew up on me, after that. So...chalk that one up to experience  I don't want to risk damaging any/everything, up front, so, I will see how realistic-looking I can get my shading! On to the taillights, next, and, then to see if I have any viable Bare Metal foil left (if not, I'll "have" to make a trip to the hobby shop!). I'm wondering if the "blacked-out" trim package may have looked better, but, the chrome will be fine. Thanks, man! Glad you like 'em.

I don't think you'd have much trouble opening up the lower ones, perhaps by filing or Dremeling away from the backside. Those top slits are THIN. On the white one I recently completed, I ended up just doing them with a black gel pen, which was quick and easy but of course not 100% perfect. Maybe think about getting some water-based acrylic flat black, thin it quite a bit, and flow it into those vents. Might take a couple coats. Overage can be cleaned up with water--don't use anything that would require alcohol cleanup as it will take that Testor lacquer right off. 

I've finished most of one taillight! Still need to make the reflectors pans and bulbs, and install the reflective inner surface. I may try to find something a bit softer, to make the decorative trim/bezel around the taillight, so I can make sharper bends. The MPC taillights have texture on the outside, which shouldn't be there, and had to be sanded off and polished. Obviously, they made the taillight/backup light lenses one piece, so, I fixed that, as well, adding a small section of clear lens, where I removed the red backup light section. Here are  a few photos of the new taillight assembly, and a couple of comparison shots of the MPC promo, the real car, and my model, just for fun!

Front End Comparo.jpg

IMG_4090cr.jpg

IMG_4093cr.jpg

IMG_4096cr.jpg

IMG_4097cr.jpg

IMG_4099cr.jpg

Taillight Comparo.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

It's been a spell since my last update. I still don't have much to show, but, it ain't for lack of trying. These taillights are giving  me fits! First off, MPC molded them with the texture on the outside, when it should be on the inner side of the lens. Secondly,  while I "get" why they molded the entire unit in red, it's a real pain, trying to attach a section of clear, for the backup lamp, then re-scribe the texture on the inside of the lenses all while attempting to keep a 1/8" X .030" (approx.) butt joint in one piece. Therein lies the rub...the right taillight has had to be reassembled five or six times. Each time it comes apart, it needs to cemented again, then polished...all over, again. All the while, this process makes that butt joint ever thinner! Anyhoo--the right taillight is closer to finished, although nowhere near perfect. It still looks better than the straight MPC item. There's a parting line in the 1:1 that needed to be scribed into the outer side of the lens. I used a fine pen to darken it. I used textured foil to simulate the inner reflective surfaces. I still have one taillight to scribe, and to create the reflector pans. Here are a couple of updated photos, along with a couple of the prototype. Thanks for looking! Comments, criticism, advice always welcome!

IMG_4118cr.jpg

IMG_4119cr.jpg

IMG_4120cr.jpg

287_p10_l.jpg

6897132083_360aab19d1_od.jpg

6897134471_6814c7c430_oc.jpg

Thank you, Curt! Much appreciated. I am pretty happy with them, all the way around!

Snake, you are correct about the "white" lights. After I scribed the detail on the inside of the lenses, I stopped short of fully polishing them. That left them a little hazy, and got rid of the complete transparency of them. It took me a while to figure out how I was going to tone them down, and have them look a little "milky". Thanks for your kind words.

Thank you, Rooster! That means a lot, as that was kind of what I was hoping for. Until now, I'd never really noticed how neglectful of them, I'd always been. Because this is a curbside model, I figured it would be a good opportunity to stretch my "light-building legs".

Thanks, Steve. I definitely put more effort into them, than I ever had, before! :-)

No wonder I prefer dragsters! This Bare Metal is kicking my arse! I'm about 6 hours in, and almost halfway done. I also wanted to add a shot or two of my final solution to the faux pas of not opening up the grille. I drew up and printed some decals to fit the slots. It really looks a lot better than it did with simply the "markered-in" slots. If anyone is interested, I'll find the file for them, and post it, so you can print your own set. I'm hoping to have this done within the next week, or so. Well see...

IMG_4219cr.jpg

IMG_4220cr.jpg

IMG_4221cr.jpg

IMG_4181cr.jpg

IMG_4183cr.jpg

IMG_4185cr.jpg