Model Cars Magazine Forum

1975 Monza--Completed 12/25/2018

Thank you, Dave. That's much appreciated! I can almost smell completion, from here!

5 hours ago, iBorg said:

Is this a custom? I thought all Monzas came stock with a small block, a Lenco and Goodyear slicks.

Seriously, looks great.

Hahaha, Mike! It does seem that way! Thank you for your kind words!

I got some black ink down in the cowl vent louvers, and touched up the B-pillars, as well.The wiper arms are a cheat--I made them to cover the fact that I didn't remove the molded-in arms. :-)  I need to trim the BMF along the bottom of the driver's side window, and find a set of mirrors that I like. I also need to foil the door locks and highlight the lug nuts...again. I have some chips in the paint, mostly around the headlights. I am considering leaving those, if I can find some properly-sized mesh, since this car would be built to be driven, hard, and there are a lot of cool gravel roads, in Montana, so, broken headlights, and dinged paint are quite plausible. But, maybe I'll just fix them. A couple of new shots, wipers completed and installed...

DSC_0005cr.jpg

DSC_0007cr.jpg

DSC_0011cr.jpg

DSC_0013cr.jpg

Edited by Straightliner59

7 hours ago, Tommy124 said:

Have to join all the praises here, Daniel... really great job on this one. :rolleyes:

I do have an old AMT kit of the Monza SS (this one: https://www.scalemates.com/kits/210280-amt-2214-monza-ss).

Is there any connection between the promo models and the AMT kit?

Thank you, Tommy! I really appreciate your kind words. The promos were made by MPC. The AMT Monza has always looked a little off, to me. That hasn't kept me from buying one, but, I think the MPC version is far superior.

Thanks again, Rick! It's not perfect, but, I am pretty happy with it. I have a four-day weekend, the next two weeks, so, I am hoping to finish it up, before the new year!

11 hours ago, Dann Tier said:

BEAUTIFUL job!!...I love everything about it!!!

Thank you, Dann! I appreciate that. I'm pretty dang happy with it. It took a while to find side mirrors that I liked, but, I've decided on those from the AMT '67 GT 350. I wanted to use small, rectangular ones, and, it seemed like everything in my parts boxes, and most of the models I was going through, only had round, or the teardrop aero looking ones. It should be done within a week. Then I can try my hand at taking "sexy" car model photos!

Here are some better photos of the wiper assemblies. I dug around in my various drawers/boxes of materials, and found a small piece of rubber membrane,which is essentially inner tube rubber, but flat. I cut some strips as thinly as possible, and added them to the wipers, to create the squeegees. They might be a tad too large, but, I think I can live with them...

IMG_4280cr.jpg

IMG_4281cr.jpg

IMG_4283cr.jpg

IMG_4284cr.jpg

IMG_4286cr.jpg

Well, all that's left is some touch up! All the parts are on the model, with the additions of side mirrors and the fuel tank. I am going to flow some very diluted black acrylic into the door, hood and hatch lines, and touch up the paint chips. Once those are complete, I'll take some better photos and post a thread over in Under Glass. It's got some warts, but, I am happy with it!

IMG_4287cr.jpg

IMG_4288cr.jpg

IMG_4289cr.jpg

IMG_4294cr.jpg

IMG_4299cr.jpg

IMG_4300cr.jpg