Model Cars Magazine Forum

Gauging interest - A Just-Whats-In-The-Box CBP

Jantrix

Very simply put - NO PARTS SWAPPING. The kit must be built with what's in the box. Only styrene stock (sheet, tubing, clear, etc.) and detailing parts (but nothing that replaces a kit part), can be added for the build. 

The recent thread about the AMT '36 Ford brought this to mind. Any interest? If so, I'll likely start this toward the end of the year.

2 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Would it be everyone building the same kit?

Oh, now that might be interesting. 

I’ve actually been doing close to what you describe lately (well, my two in process models) Depending on timing, I’d join. It’s actually nice to reduce choices and work with what you’ve got. 

11 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Would it be everyone building the same kit?

I hadn't thought of that, and although the idea sounds cool, I think ultimately it would reduce the amount of folks who might participate. Either because it would require the purchase of another kit, or lack of interest in a 1927 Dinglewhopper. One thing I have learned over the years on the forums, is that the tighter the focus of a CBP, the amount of interest decreases dramatically. 

I think due to the nature of this CBP, most folks would naturally gravitate toward kits with a lot of custom options, which in most cases is a pre-1960 hot rod. 

9 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I’ve actually been doing close to what you describe lately (well, my two in process models) Depending on timing, I’d join. It’s actually nice to reduce choices and work with what you’ve got. 

So have I. I've just never pulled the trigger and tried it. Kits like the AMT '57 Chevy hardtop, '36 Ford, '49/'50 Fords, Revell Ford Model A's and B's are no-brainers for this. 

I think it could be fun, and it would really stretch builders creativity and scratch-building skills.

Not trying to be argumentative, just not understanding the true basis of this build.

If this is to be a 'Just what's in the box build', then as soon as the allowance of styrene stock and detail parts were added, the idea is then derailed before it gets started.

Am I missing something?

Though I agree about picking your own kit, everyone building the same would be interesting also.

I agree with Karl, if you are doing a out of the box build it should only be wants in the box. As soon as you start letting guys add things it gets complicated. 

I say we pick our own kit to build (more likely to get guys involved when they can just grab something off the shelves and build).

Just my opinion!

Jon

Carl, Jon, great points and I've thought a lot about that since posting.

The reason I added the allowance of styrene stock only, was to not limit how the kit was to be built. For instance, if I wanted to Z the frame on a Revell Model A or chop the top of the AMT '49 Merc, being allowed to use styrene stock is very useful in making those custom touches easier. If I was to say, you need to use the sprue if you need extra plastic, which is harder, folks might be less inclined to participate.

The same goes for the detail parts. Some people just won't build a model where they can't wire the distributor and flock the carpets. They have a standard and won't lower them. And I wouldn't either.

As I mentioned before, the more you narrow the scope of the CBP, the fewer people are interested. Just the whats-in-the-box idea of this CBP, will turn off plenty of people. Others it will challenge. The idea is to get people inspired, interested, and involved. 

I agree with Rob, but definitely see the other points. 

I don’t think folks will be making their own wheels or engine blocks, so the small detailing parts and as needed styrene bits make sense. I built a model without wiring the engine and regretted it. Looked too plain. Depends on kit though...

On 3/7/2018 at 2:42 PM, Erik Smith said:

...Looked too plain. Depends on kit though...

True enough. There are some kits out there with so much engine detail in the kit that added detail doesn't add that much more. Some of the super cars come to mind, where wires and brackets are largely hidden anyway. But older AMT kits, (64 Impala, Chevelle, etc.) not so much.

• 3 weeks later...

I think I'd be in. As others have said, I'd liek to see our own choices of what to build, and no aftermaet parts of any kind. It should be literally, only what comes in the box. No styrene, no detailing, nothing.

I think if we allow "a little" bit of scratchibuilding, then the lines become open to interpretation about what can or cannot be allowed. 

Box stock should be box stock.

:)

3 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

I think I'd be in. As others have said, I'd liek to see our own choices of what to build, and no aftermaet parts of any kind. It should be literally, only what comes in the box. No styrene, no detailing, nothing.

I think if we allow "a little" bit of scratchibuilding, then the lines become open to interpretation about what can or cannot be allowed. 

But if that's the case, why allow paint? You can go nuts with limits.

On 3/27/2018 at 8:13 AM, iamsuperdan said:

You'de be surprised how many people will loose interest in a model where they are too limited artistically. The idea is to encourage building a model but not limit them so much, it's not finished.

I get what you're saying, but isn't that the challenge of the build?

If you say that's a box stock build, so only what's in the box...and styrene and other detail parts and supplies, then it really isn't a what's-in-the-box build anymore.

Each CBP build-off has a theme, and each theme has it's own set of challenges for those who choose to participate. In this case, the challenge is to keep it box stock. And if someone can't handle that, then maybe this challenge isn't the right fit, and they should take part in the next one.

Anyway, this one is your idea, so whatever you say the rules are, that's what the participants need to abide by. :)

It's all good.

• 7 months later...

The MDA show in Roanoke Va. has a Class based on this challange... Their rules are rather limited also. I plan on building something for the 2019 show next year... I have a go to kit that I've learned little tricks to improve it by using nothing but the parts in the box. I've built probably 50 over the years...So I'll be up for whatever is desided upon.

I feel like the rules should be you can only use supplies nessasary to build the kit... such as paint, glue, sandpaper, and maybe BMF/Molotow chrome pen since they are kinda in the same catagory. 

Everything else is supplied in the kit and you should be able to use your imagination for the rest. Just to give you an example...parts spur is your friend.. ?  Another suggestion is if you feel like you will struggle then pick a 3 in 1 kit, the more options you have the better off you'll be.

20181113_072314.jpg

9 hours ago, alexis said:

Rob, curious to hear if there has been anymore thought given to this CPB?

Alan, I have not. Between the P2P and the Cannonball, my dance card for this coming year is full. However if this is something anyone else would like to take on and run, I would certainly be cool with that.