Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buddy Baker's 1980 Oldsmobile 442 in 1/25th scale.

A club member received this email recently so I  thought I'd pass it on:

I'm Jim Rogers, half of a new injection molded plastic model kit company Salvinos J R Models and we are releasing our first kit soon. Buddy Baker's 1980 Oldsmobile 442 in 1/25th scale. We are currently signing dealers as well as taking retail pre-orders for our kit and it occurred to us that we should introduce ourselves to IPMS clubs like CPM. We are not trying to sell to the clubs directly, we are just hoping that the clubs could share the attached flyer with their NASCAR builder members who then can ask their favorite local shop to carry it. The 128 piece kit will be produced in Southern California, and include Cartograf decals and you can see what our sample looks like on the attached flyer. We would greatly appreciate any help we can get from clubs to make this a success allowing us to make more and other kits.

Thank you for your time,

Jim Rogers

flyer to dealers.jpg

This kit hasn't even hit the shelves, and I'm already bored of it. If it could be built was a "stock" showroom Olds I might be more excited.

I love the hype above. "the highest quality decals ever offered in a model kit" Really? Why am I skeptical on this one? And on this whole kit for some reason? There's a old saying, "If it seems to be too go to be true. It is." That's the feeling I'm getting every time someone posts something on this kit. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the kit is a big success. Encouraging more new model kits in the future. 

1 minute ago, Motor City said:

It's actually the '77 Cutlass body updated.  The all-new Cutlass came out in '78.  The '80 442 used the formal roofline and is quite rare.  That's what I was expecting to see here.  Oh, well! 

It's a kit of a NASCAR subject used in the 1980 season.   NASCAR still used the '77 style bodies through the '80 season. 

Edited by Rob Hall

27 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

This kit hasn't even hit the shelves, and I'm already bored of it. If it could be built was a "stock" showroom Olds I might be more excited.

I love the hype above. "the highest quality decals ever offered in a model kit" Really? Why am I skeptical on this one? And on this whole kit for some reason? There's a old saying, "If it seems to be too go to be true. It is." That's the feeling I'm getting every time someone posts something on this kit. I hope I'm wrong. I hope the kit is a big success. Encouraging more new model kits in the future. 

To each his own. Many showroom stock kits bore me too!!!

The decals are said to be printed in Italy by Chartagraph with artwork by one of the best.....so we will all see when it comes......but Chartagraph decals are miles ahead on Chinese kit decals.

Don't a lot of mainstream kits, including several from Round 2, come with Cartograf decals nowadays? Again, I hope all of the above claims are true. I'm just a little skeptical. The claims are a little grandiose. If going for accuracy, why is the rear bumper not correct for a '77 Cutlass? It's looks like the same bumper found on JoHans '75 kit and promo. It's got my Spidy Senses tingling. That's all. 

I am not a huge NASCAR Fan, however, I will be buying this kit to show these guys some support.

American made, new subject material? That's got me sold!

Who knows, maybe if this kits is a hit, that elusive drag car will be next....

To some extent, advertising is supposed to be a little grandiose :). If you're not gonna hype your product, then who will?

Still- if they're using Cartograf decals, then their description is not too far off the mark. Cartograf decals are top shelf. It shows that they are going to some effort.

I do like NASCAR cars from this era- when cars were cars, so to speak - real production sheetmetal. I'll need one because it will exist now. I'm glad I didn't get rid of my Jo Han snapper (or did I?), I could use that for the interior and chassis of a more streetified build.   

Hoping for the best, a new company doing anything for us is good news. I'm waiting to see the actual kit. I'm not 100% sure the sample pictures represent the actual item. There is the bumper issue, and also, those wheels look a great deal like the old MPC stock car 5 slots to my eye. Still- if the prototype is pieced together from existing sources, you can't blame them for getting something together for pics that sourced pre-existing parts. I think the other kit manufacturers have done this kind of thing from time to time.

So for now- I'd like to show some love - at least until proven otherwise. Staying optimistic. Maybe they'll eventually do a Petty Magnum...    

13 minutes ago, OutaFocus said:

Wow! It must be getting close. This is the first place taking preorders, and discounted too!

https://freetimehobbies.com/1-25-salvinos-jr-models-buddy-baker-nascar-plastic-model-kit-preorder/

Model Roundup has been taking preorders for a while now...  http://www.modelroundup.com/product-p/saljr-101.htm

They announced today they signed a multi-year, multi-car licensing agreement with GM, and showed the box art for the first kit.

If the final CAD for the body tool was done around October (when they posted it to FB) it would put this kit in development for close to a year by the time it comes out. The convention wisdom was an 18 month cycle, maybe you can shave a few months off by getting everything done in the U.S. and skipping that whole next day, other language, two to three week shipping of test shots back and forth.

Edited by niteowl7710

• 5 weeks later...
On 3/8/2018 at 11:56 AM, niteowl7710 said:

They announced today they signed a multi-year, multi-car licensing agreement with GM, and showed the box art for the first kit.

Based on this and the teaser art above, looks like I made the right call unloading my Bandit Resins bodies earlier this winter. 

I’m looking forward to these GMs! 

1 hour ago, Matt T. said:

Based on this and the teaser art above, looks like I made the right call unloading my Bandit Resins bodies earlier this winter. 

I’m looking forward to these GMs! 

Check the other thread...sounds like this kit is going to have some pretty serious accuracy issues..

Edited by Rob Hall