Model Cars Magazine Forum

Buddy Baker's 1980 Oldsmobile 442 in 1/25th scale.

1 hour ago, JTPlastic&Paint said:

at the price to buy the kit in my area I'll pass.

So I left a comment on their  Facebook page, simply saying I was disappointed in the quality and lack of detail,  and it has disappeared in under 10 mins haha

Give it a couple months. They'll be at 13.99 & Free Shipping on eBay. Most will probably look like they've been thrown at a wall.

So they have someone manning the FB page, keeping it positive. Drawing straws to see who pulls the overnight shift.

Edited by Rat Roaster

A person would have to have a case of Shamwow's to polish the poop off of this kit. I do not doubt that they are clearing negative comments off their website, they have plans for several cars of the era and all scheduled to use the same lame parts. I have said it before and I will say it again, it would not have cost any more to have done this right that it cost to have it be wrong. Since the Monte Carlo they plan on doing would have the same Banjo chassis and the Olds is supposed to have and a GM small block engine, they still could have made a correct engine and chassis.

The only cars close to this chassis and suspension were Mopars, torsion bars in front and leafs in the rear. Another seriously missing detail is the dry sump oil system and oil pan. The supplied kit has a plain sort of GM small block oil pan, no pump, no oil tank, just generic like in the early MPC NASCAR kits. Which I could forgive in the early '70's.

Edited by Bill J

4 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

That would be a better use of the chassis. But the chassis still isn’t even that right for a Chrysler. No k member?

Actually by the late 60's the Mopar racers had removed the K frame and used steel to build up replacement engine mounting and suspension mounting. They still had torsion bars and all that but they used a dry sump oil system for the engine and removal of the K-ftame allows the lowering of the car to acceptable, for the time period, levels. A Charger Daytona pic:

mHCx5jY.png

Edited by Bill J

1 hour ago, Bill J said:

Actually by the late 60's the Mopar racers had removed the K frame and used steel to build up replacement engine mounting and suspension mounting. They still had torsion bars and all that but they used a dry sump oil system for the engine and removal of the K-ftame allows the lowering of the car to acceptable, for the time period, levels. A Charger Daytona pic:

mHCx5jY.png

Yes but they still had a fabbed k member of sorts not like this chassis . This chassis has a engine crossmember similar to a ford Holman Moody would have

The Magnum (or Charger) body is a good idea. The engine looks like it's not very good but the old AMT and Monogram NASCAR kits are plentiful and cheap enough to be used for parts. As far as the pin marks go- ever hear of putty?

18 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

The Magnum (or Charger) body is a good idea. The engine looks like it's not very good but the old AMT and Monogram NASCAR kits are plentiful and cheap enough to be used for parts. As far as the pin marks go- ever hear of putty?

I will say the body is free of sink marks and has minimal part lines. Most of the big companies can’t pull that off.

Posted on another site.

From Mike's decals:

OK friends, I'm going to make one post about the Salvino Olds and after that I won't discuss the kit itself. Now that people have them, there's lots and lots of discussion about what comes with it. Some good and some bad. Some people have been very insulting about the kit, but most are generally very happy to have a new producer in the business at a time when many are dropping out. So before you pass judgement on what you're getting keep these things in mind. 

First, this project is being spearheaded by one guy. ONE. He's working with one 3D designer. ONE. This is his very FIRST production. This is not a team of a dozen employees with a company that's been doing it for 50 years. I can tell you what happened to the first 4-5 Powerslide releases I did over 12 years ago. After a few months they went in the garbage can. I was only out a few thousand dollars. Rick is in this for quite a bit more than that. As time went on Powerslide got better and better and now you see where they are at. Ricks kits will be the same way. 

You may not like what's in the box and if so you are welcome to not purchase one if you don't like it. It's a free country. But many people are extremely happy to be able to finally be able to build an Olds kit without having to buy a resin body with vacuum formed glass and have to heavily modify it to fit a chassis. 

Yes, it has some off looking parts, maybe even some that aren't right for the car. What most people don't know is the incredible goings on that comes with producing something like this. It would have brought most people to give up and forget the whole thing. The main goal of this kit was to get the finished "shelf" look right. It actually started out as a Dodge project, and the course changed several times and wound up as an Olds. it was supposed to be a Petty 1979 Daytona Olds, but Rick couldn't get the licensing in place in time. The only licensing he could get on this short notice was from the Baker family. By that time it was too late to make any chassis and suspension changes. The 3D work, which takes months, was already done. This is why some parts seem to be for another car. 

Rick is dedicated to quality and I can promise you as he releases more kits, they will have changes and improvements in them. If you look at this kit and throw him under the bus, then back up over him and run him again, there's a chance that he will cancel all upcoming projects and you wont get your '73 Charger, or your '71 Road Runner or '71 Charger or even the '80s kits he's looking at like the 1986 2+2 and all the other amazing stuff he has planned. Please keep this in mind. Rick has a lot of money invested in this and I can promise you, he's not in it for the money. He's a modeler like us and knows what the missing links are in this hobby. 

So that is all. I as well as most of us, want this company to succeed and with the support of his customers, I think he will. Rick and I are working together on the next releases and as always they will have Powerslide decals and I will be one of the main distributors. 

Thanks for your reading and as always I look forward to supplying your hobby needs 
Mike

Some people seem to take the stance that people with hobby budgets should 'support' a new player in the model car field by throwing away their money on a kit they will never build and keep throwing away their money until the quality improves to the point where a kit becomes acceptable and reasonably buildable. If that is the business plan for this company then maybe they should've started out by soliciting charitable contributions via GoFundMe or other crowd sourcing means. That way, people who wanted to donate to this company could do so without any expectation of getting something of value in return.

BTW, I already have my preferred charities to support as well as a few of those charming '70s MPC Stock Cars so include me out.

In the above statement it's indicated that this kit is the development of 1 guy and 1 designer. Ok so what! I've worked with guys who develop resin masters (not just automotive subjects) for a variety of kits and R&D projects using nothing more than foam and other scratch building items, their own eyes and brain power, no 3d design software, etc... They're able to make an accurate master through nothing but they're own talent and research (measure twice...) I know it is a bit like apples and oranges but based on that there's no excuse for the problems with this kit. 

Even if the designer is not familiar with the subject there's enough information out there that could have been acquired to make a far more accurate replica than what's being offered here.

I was really looking forward to this kit, while not a huge NASCAR fan I do like the vintage cars. For a bit I was even willing to look past the issues as were pointed out during the development. Upon seeing the final result I simply cannot justify spending any money for this. I typically can look past some issues with kits that get a lot of bad press here but there's just too much wrong going on with this kit. 

I don't want to see a new company fail on their first attempt, hopefully IF they continue to develop kits these issues can be addressed in the future.

Edited by Phirewriter

59 minutes ago, Classicgas said:

From Mike's decals:

This is why some parts seem to be for another car. 
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Rick is dedicated to quality 

Clearly so. :rolleyes:

The explanation helps us understand why the finished product is so messed up design-wise, but using the  "we should be thankful..." line as an excuse for poor quality never was, isn't, nor never will be acceptable.

1 hour ago, Classicgas said:

From Mike's decals:

If you look at this kit and throw him under the bus, then back up over him and run him again, there's a chance that he will cancel all upcoming projects and you wont get your '73 Charger, or your '71 Road Runner or '71 Charger or even the '80s kits he's looking at like the 1986 2+2 and all the other amazing stuff he has planned. Please keep this in mind. Rick has a lot of money invested in this and I can promise you, he's not in it for the money. He's a modeler like us and knows what the missing links are in this hobby. 

Yes, let's threaten the potential customer base while you're at it. -_- Oh, there's a sympathy card being played, too, now? And, he's a "modeler", too, one who isn't looking to make a profit in his business venture? That's garbage. :rolleyes: 

20 minutes ago, Casey said:

The explanation helps us understand why the finished product is so messed up design-wise, but using the  "we should be thankful..." line as an excuse for poor quality never was, isn't, nor never will be acceptable.

Yes, let's threaten the potential customer base while you're at it. -_- Oh, there's a sympathy card being played, too, now? And, he's a "modeler", too, one who isn't looking to make a profit in his business venture? That's garbage. :rolleyes: 

I lost a ton of respect for him, its a shame that he is Power Slide decals,  but I am not going to cut my nose off just to spite him.

They could've designed the body to take the MPC Pepsi Laguna glass and everything else in that kit. Then had Round 2 run them 3000 shots of the Laguna kit minus the body and produced their body themselves and been further ahead in more ways than one. Hell, they coulda 3D scanned the trees from the Laguna kit, copied them into a mold, and been further ahead. LOL

Edited by Rat Roaster

58 minutes ago, Rat Roaster said:

Hell, they coulda 3D scanned the trees from the Laguna kit, copied them into a mold, and been further ahead. LOL

And isn't that one of the things that Hobbico done, and was sued over? What was the out come to That?

I know the decals are Cartograf and are very good decals but how can you say they are the  "highest quality decals ever offered in model kit" when everybody is using Cartograf. I have some of the new Beemax kits and they have some of the best decals I have ever seen. The gold foil disks to be used in in the Warsteiner markings on the BMW M3 are the best foil decal I have seen. I thought they were peel and stick foil.

Edited by 935k3

8 hours ago, Classicgas said:

First, this project is being spearheaded by one guy. ONE. He's working with one 3D designer. ONE. This is his very FIRST production. This is not a team of a dozen employees with a company that's been doing it for 50 years.

I thought of another point in regards to this statement and should have used it in my earlier post. We as a group here are all well aware of the '40's era Chevy kits that Galaxie Ltd has produced over the years and the excellent quality and scale fidelity of them.

One man's vision, Gary Schmidt and one designer, Tom West. So again, that argument has no legs to stand on.

And after re-reading the statement from Mike's Decals  it certainly seems to come off as rather combative, excuse ridden and very off putting. Even if they correct things in any upcoming releases, attitudes like that make me less inclined to consider looking at them in the future.

Edited by Phirewriter

2 hours ago, Phirewriter said:

And after re-reading the statement from Mike's Decals  it certainly seems to come off as rather combative, excuse ridden and very off putting. Even if they correct things in any upcoming releases, attitudes like that make me less inclined to consider looking at them in the future.

I completely agree. Mike is obviously twisting himself into a pretzel making excuses for this kit's shortcomings because he has a financial stake in the project.

If you go to the thread on the Mike's Decals Facebook page, Mike gors on to say in a separate post that Salvinos welcomes "constructive criticism" of the Olds kits. Uh, no, sorry, it obviously doesn't when it's scrubbing posts that are even mildly critical of the kit from its Facebook page.

Speaking of the Mike's Facebook page, I'd highly recommend going there and reading the comments on Mike's post defending the Olds kits if you want a good laugh. One gets the idea from those comments that if Salvinos was selling actual feces in boxes, some people would label anyone who dared to complain a "whiner" or a "rivet-counter" and tell them in no uncertain terms they should be thankful someone was still producing feces in boxes.

Edited by Allen Wrench

10 hours ago, Casey said:

One can make a first impression only ones, when you blow that, it's damage control and à uphill battle regaining cunsumer trust again, gone curiousity welkome sceptisisme...

À sad entree to the main stage.......

again maybe he/they should've read the 250K question B)

Edited by Luc Janssens
Fighting and sadly losing to auto correct