Model Cars Magazine Forum

How long can you keep 1:1 car tires?

Monty

I was reading the off topic section of some car board yesterday when I came across a thread about tire life.  The overall gist was that, even if a tire has had proper care and still has good tread, the materials that make up the rubber compounds start to go bad after six years, so the tires should be replaced before they become dangerous.  I'm curious because my Kelly Springfields have been on my car for over seven years and still have good tread.  I don't notice any difference in how they ride, and there isn't any weather checking.  Having lived in Texas for 25 years, I'm well aware of what the sun can do to tires.  

Comments?

I wouldn't sweat it. If there's no obvious checking or cracking on the sidewalls, you should be fine.

I've run takeoff tires I had in cool dry basement storage for 10+ years with zero problems in normal daily use...though I might have second thoughts about running them at prolonged high speeds.

5 minutes ago, cowboy rich said:

Actually I tell my sister(current owner) TO DRIVE IT.

That may not necessarily be a glowing endorsement.  I would be more than happy to tell my sister to drive it if I can see the air through the tire's sidewalls. JK, I really do love my pita sister.  I have had a set on my '83 S-10 since 2009, they still hold air, have good tread, and have no cracking.  They were stored in the basement on jackstands for a couple years and overall they have probably less than 3000 miles on them.

23 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

That may not necessarily be a glowing endorsement.  I would be more than happy to tell my sister to drive it if I can see the air through the tire's sidewalls. 

WELL..THAT'S a bit of a different story, can't see through the sidewalls on this one but she can still be a pita!?

I have a car sitting in my driveway with BF Goodrich Radial TA tires which were purchased in the late 1980s. They show some light cracking on the sidewalls, but still hold air.  I think the "best before date" expiration for tires was created by tire company lawyers to prevent frivolous lawsuits (and to make more money by scaring people to buy new tires every few years, regardless of the tread condition). If you go back to the '70s or earlier, did anybody ever worry about tire expiration dates?  People were smart enough to visually inspect their tires (or have a mechanic do it) and replace them when needed.

Nowadays even Coca-Cola cans and bottles have "best by" dates stamped on them.  :wacko: I drank a can of Coke which was few years past the "best by" and I didn't die. It also didn't taste any different than a fresh can of Coke.

Hmm   the tires on my 1929 ford P.U.  still work fine,,,   there over 40 years old....   They will tell you anything to get you to spend money....       I drank 12 year old whiskey and  I'm still alive..

The thing about the storage and use of old Tires has a lot of variables that have to be considered. Sunlight and other weather conditions play a major role in how a Tire will age, and even the Manufacture and what level of quality they have put into the product. As I stated, a lot of variables. If you have tires you are worried about because of age the first thing I would do would be to remove them from the vehicle and examine them. The first thing I would look at would be the tread area. You are looking for any cracking or signs of weathering in this area. If you find cracking you want to start pricing new tires. Depending on the type of tire tread, say a Mud/Snow type tire look for any "Chunks" in the "Lugs".  The next thing to look for is any Side Wall degradation which will usually be Cracking for the most part. Part of the job of the Side Wall besides looking pretty is to protect the Fabric structure of the tire. Moisture over time will destroy the integrity of the tire Carcass. By example, I still use the OEM Snow tires for our '09 Wrangler during the winter months. The vehicle is garaged when not in use and that I feel is a positive factor. During the summer months and the "Wheeling" season the Wrangler wears a set of B.F.G.'s TM2s. The Wrangler has been in service since 08/08/08 and between the two sets of tires the Wrangler has just over 90k miles with no problems and better than half the tread depth on both sets.           

Well, the guys writing in Octane and Modern Classics all say that any tyre that's over ten years old should be replaced, whatever state the tread is in, and actually low mileages or storage accelerate the ageing process. Bottom line is, if you buy a 90s classic with 50K miles on the clock wearing original tyres, change them, pronto. Especially since if you're buying a 90s classic, it's likely to be one you want to drive enthusiastically, and the consequences of catastrophic tyre failure could be fatal for the car, you, or some innocent passer-by. As Leno said in the Garage ep on the XJ6 I just watched, those four contact patches are the only thing that connects the car to the road, so it's worth making sure you've got the best tyres for the job, and it's not worth skimping on cheap, old, unreliable, second-hand, part-worn or inappropriate rubber...

best,

M.

In general, I'm going with the ten year recommendation, but it could be less under certain conditions - Just took a tire in for a flat repair - ten years old and two tires shops that I trust wouldn't touch it - nothing over ten years old.  One checked for leaks where the nail was and no leak there.  The other, where I bought the tire, checked the whole tire and found nothing, but it had been losing air for some time.  They mentioned sidewall leaks - which could mean the tire materials were breaking down.  The car sits outside, that tire had the most exposure to sunlight on a hot driveway, and it doesn't get used much.  Fortunately it was a good time to replace tires.  Glad I did, the new tires are much better than the old ones ever were. 

so, my list of thoughts - 

-  ten year old tires not only have the deterioration of age, heat, ozone, oxygen, - they were made from the best technology at least ten years ago.  Twenty year old tires...  Thirty years old - same math.  

-  if a tire keeps losing air with no apparent damage, the materials have started to break down - at some point a catastrophic failure will occur.

- http://car-storage.com/article/tire-dry-rot/  a good summary on the causes of tire aging and it includes a reference link to a 2007 NHTSA report to Congress on tire aging

Well, based on the vague topic title, was going to say that when I had MINI Coopers, I was lucky to get a year out of a set of tires.  Can't imagine why.  :rolleyes:

After reading above comments, I see the issue is how long without driving the heck out of them.  My '69 Chevy pickup has Khumo tires that have not been produced for awhile, receipt shows installed 1998, so 19 years.  When I had a '57 Chevy wagon, I had brand new Goodyear tires, and had a front blow out at speed limit on a two lane, it was scary enough to never touch that brand again.  So I would say what brand, if outside the whole time, etc.

Just do what feels good,,  I'll run them till I see air,,  others replace them every other year,,    Its all in what makes you happy,        Now my 66 mustang, I replace the rear tires every other month,  cause I can't keep my foot out of the gas,,, Love the smell of smoke and racing fuel.