Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any word on the Revell '30 Model A coupe ?

7 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

This is my opinion only. But, I do find the above resin body anywhere as nice looking as what Revell gave us in their kit. Too much of a chop, and I really dislike those quarter, "C" pillar windows. I'm glad I got my Revell A coupe when I did. 

6 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

This is my opinion only. But, I do find the above resin body anywhere as nice looking as what Revell gave us in their kit. Too much of a chop, and I really dislike those quarter, "C" pillar windows. I'm glad I got my Revell A coupe when I did. 

Agreed.

The 29 roadster is coming first, we even got a shot of the new boxart last fall. It seems like everything coming scheduled from Revell Q4 2017 and Q1 2018 is behind (whether that is a result of the Hobbico bankruptcy is still just speculation). The 30 Coupe is supposed to come back next, and I'm sure it will. It was too popular in it's short run for them to just abandon the project. Give it time. 

Edited by Mr. Metallic

I miss the '30 kit. I don't have the budget to buy a lot of them...but I feel better knowing that they're out there, somewhere! Here's hopin' it returns...with the Nailhead. If that's the case, I'll shell out for another for sure.

4 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

The 29 roadster is coming first, we even got a shot of the new boxart last fall. It seems like everything coming scheduled from Revell Q4 2017 and Q1 2018 is behind (whether that is a result of the Hobbico bankruptcy is still just speculation). The 30 Coupe is supposed to come back next, and I'm sure it will. It was too popular in it's short run for them to just abandon the project. Give it time. 

Revell has been running late for years on releasing things by their set date. Because of this, I suspect Hobbico's bankruptcy has little to do with it. 

16 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

The kit has flaws? (I hope I'm not opening up a bag of worms here.) None that I saw. Both of recent Revell Model As are great kits. The one roadster, and the one coupe I built turned out great. I was and am very happy with them both. 

Nothing too horrible Scott, just a couple of issues that guys familiar with the real cars, and rodded versions of same, might wonder "why?" about (primarily in the firewall / cowl area, and how the roof opening was done).

More info here, and in a couple other threads as well.

2 hours ago, unclescott58 said:

The kit has flaws? (I hope I'm not opening up a bag of worms here.) None that I saw. Both of recent Revell Model As are great kits. The one roadster, and the one coupe I built turned out great. I was and am very happy with them both. 

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Nothing too horrible Scott, just a couple of issues that guys familiar with the real cars, and rodded versions of same, might wonder "why?" about (primarily in the firewall / cowl area, and how the roof opening was done).

Yes. Those are what I was referring to, when I mentioned "flaws". They matter to some people, but not to me.

Yep, any flaws are definitely eclipsed by how nicely the kit goes together and how useful it is as a parts source for other hot rod projects. I would like to see it on the shelves again, better slightly imperfect (and nothing's ever perfect!) than completely unavailable.

I've enjoyed the boost the '29 and '30 kits have given to the numbers of traditional-styled hot rods being built and posted on the forums. I have yet to see someone combining the '30 coupe with, say, the Phantom Vicky for a retro-modern street rod. Lots of potential there!

• 2 years later...
On 3/7/2018 at 8:11 AM, Jantrix said:

my version.

That is beautiful!

I've been wanting to build something similar from an episode of some car show (that I don't remember) anyway, it was in the background in his back lot waiting to get built. I took a liking to it and decided to pause the TV, zoomed in on it, and snapped a picture of the shell. It would make a cool hot rod.  The stripes remind me of yours... 

08-10-04--1-b1cb50065e7ad003.jpeg

Anyone know what that body is?  I'm guessing a Dodge body by Budd but it is simply a guess.  It wouldn't take a lot of work to to convert a Model A coupe into this body style - cowl doors, windshield opening and swages removed from rear quarters would be a good start.

Cheers

Alan

Thanks for that Anthony!  Looking at that photo, when we are criticising modern cars for all looking the same, we can forget that it has always been like that!

If I didn't have so many other WIPS already, i think it would be fun to attempt the conversion!

Cheers

Alan

2 minutes ago, alan barton said:

i think it would be fun to attempt the conversion!

For sure... And I think like many enthusiasts... Usually if you focus on one certain car (Mine is the 75-79 Nova) you will know that bodystyle and all the changes, although I don't see that happening in 50 years to say?... A Hyundai Alantra lol

On 3/6/2018 at 1:45 PM, slusher said:

I wish they would bring it back I didn't get one.

I haven't seen it posted on this thread, but a few years ago while production was still in Japan one of the tools was "accidentally" damaged for this kit.That is the reason it halted production. 

And in later news, I heard that the rest of the tooling was left behind after the Bankruptcy. I could be wrong about the whole story. So if anyone remembers the details about the history please share ?  my mind is a bit foggy...