Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any word on the Revell '30 Model A coupe ?

7 hours ago, 1930fordpickup said:

Have they given a release date for the coupe at all or is this just reckless speculation it is coming back? 

The Coupe was damaged while running it, we were told.  The roadsters were around for at least 8 to 12 months after the Coupe came and went. Why would they release the kit that is not higher in demand? 

Andy, there is not a firm date from Revell at this point for the Coupe release.  From what I hear, the most probably accurate speculation (and speculation is all it is) would be early 2021. 

See my answer to Brian's post as to why the Roadster kit remained available after the Coupe production stoppage.   

TIM 

3 hours ago, tim boyd said:

The roadster kit did seem to be readily available for a while after the Coupe issue sold out, but I suspect that was due to selling out the roadster kit stock that was already in the distribution system, not another production run of the roadster after the coupe production stoppage.

Ok, that's why I thought they ran it again, because you could still get the roadster for over a year after the coupe was gone. It seemed like it hung around longer than a normal run.

• 7 months later...
43 minutes ago, Greg Myers said:

Any updates on this ?

On 3/30/2020 at 9:41 AM, tim boyd said:

Andy, there is not a firm date from Revell at this point for the Coupe release.  From what I hear, the most probably accurate speculation (and speculation is all it is) would be early 2021. 

See my answer to Brian's post as to why the Roadster kit remained available after the Coupe production stoppage.   

TIM 

2 posts up

Have any of you full-fendered fans tried matching/mashing the '30 Coupe with the fender assembly from the '31 Woody kit (85-7637)?  Seems like it would be a possible solution. After all, any measurement on Revell's rulers should be the same, whether coupe or woody.  So it seems to me.

Just a thought. I haven't tried it, but that '31 Woody kit was a pure gem.

?

Edited by Danno

14 hours ago, Danno said:

Have any of you full-fendered fans tried matching/mashing the '30 Coupe with the fender assembly from the '31 Woody kit (85-7637)?  Seems like it would be a possible solution. After all, any measurement on Revell's rulers should be the same, whether coupe or woody.  So it seems to me.

?

There's 2 main styles of Model A rear fenders. Coupe, Roadster, Pickup use one style and Sedan fenders which the Woody uses. The sedan fenders have a section cut out as shown compared to the Coupe/Roadster fenders. Wonder if you could use the fenders from the old Monogram '30 Coupe or Cabriolet kits? I think those are 1/24 scale tho.

D1F4ABCC.jpg

64-23851.jpg

And this time it will have the Nailhead instead of the SBC

Some have said that the tooling for the recently released 29 roadster and the 30 Coupe is all, or at least partial, new tooling. There are apparently telltale signs if you compare the parts trees from the first issue versus the new one. I'm just glad to have it back, especially the coupe.

From Craig Stansfield from another board

2v2HQ268yxuy9t (1).jpg

On 10/31/2020 at 12:21 PM, Danno said:

?

On 11/1/2020 at 2:19 AM, RSchnell said:

There's 2 main styles of Model A rear fenders. Coupe, Roadster, Pickup use one style and Sedan fenders which the Woody uses. The sedan fenders have a section cut out as shown compared to the Coupe/Roadster fenders. Wonder if you could use the fenders from the old Monogram '30 Coupe or Cabriolet kits? I think those are 1/24 scale tho.

The issue with using either the Revell  29 roadster or 30 coupe bodies on stock fenders is the rear wheel opening is raised in the body, so there's a significant gap. You'd have to fill that.

Some have said that the tooling for the recently released 29 roadster and the 30 Coupe is all, or at least partial, new tooling. There are apparently telltale signs if you compare the parts trees from the first issue versus the new one. 

Anyone try this ? Kind of interesting, More Revell intrigue 

15 hours ago, Greg Myers said:

Anyone try this ? Kind of interesting, More Revell intrigue 

The only truly "newly" tooled parts on the '29 reissue was the channeled frame and transmission mount - it comes on a parts runner that looks like a boxed frame rail rather than the normal round shape you'd expect out of any model kit.  I suspect people saying there is a substantial or total re-tool of the parts haven't seen a '30 kit up close and are presuming what contents came with what kit compared to the re-mix of parts that come in the reissue...(use of the SBC vs. Nailhead, inclusion of the "Halibrand" wheels, the '30's roof insert is ungated and included in the '29) 

Edited by niteowl7710

On 11/2/2020 at 3:14 PM, Mr. Metallic said:

The issue with using either the Revell  29 roadster or 30 coupe bodies on stock fenders is the rear wheel opening is raised in the body, so there's a significant gap. You'd have to fill that.

Dennis and I should have that covered. He is reworking a Revell Model a coupe body so that the rear wheel wells are stock. I am just waiting for him to put the finishing touches on it and send it out to me to mold. Apparently, it doesn't really interest anyone on this forum that I have been offering an improved casting of the Revell Model A coupe body to date though.

15 hours ago, CabDriver said:

I don’t think I saw that before - can we see? ?

It's been posted in the Aftermarket section on the forum by a customer of mine and shown by Dennis Lacy on the forum before. Here are a few photos of it. I removed the door hinges so the body would not tear up the mold faster, filled in the two little holes below the deck lid, cleaned up the gigantic injector pins on the underside of the body and roof, and make a more pleasing 'hot rod' style roof insert with textured detail and piping around the perimeter. While not correct for a stock roof insert, it is still much better than the smooth insert piece Revell tooled up. I also ditched the toy-like firewall in favor of one I modified from a personal project of mine......a widened Monogram Model A firewall. The windshield frame and firewall are included with the coupe body.

2v2HJGUcgxuy9t.jpg

DSC00728.JPG

DSC00730.JPG

DSC00732.JPG

DSC00733.JPG

DSC00736.JPG

Model A1.jpg

Model A3.jpg

Model A4.jpg

20 hours ago, krassandbernie said:

It's been posted in the Aftermarket section on the forum by a customer of mine and shown by Dennis Lacy on the forum before. Here are a few photos of it. I removed the door hinges so the body would not tear up the mold faster, filled in the two little holes below the deck lid, cleaned up the gigantic injector pins on the underside of the body and roof, and make a more pleasing 'hot rod' style roof insert with textured detail and piping around the perimeter. While not correct for a stock roof insert, it is still much better than the smooth insert piece Revell tooled up. I also ditched the toy-like firewall in favor of one I modified from a personal project of mine......a widened Monogram Model A firewall. The windshield frame and firewall are included with the coupe body.

2v2HJGUcgxuy9t.jpg

Ed, will you be offering the firewall or insert as separate items?