Model Cars Magazine Forum

Any word on the Revell '30 Model A coupe ?

20 minutes ago, Modelbuilder Mark said:

Ed, will you be offering the firewall or insert as separate items? 

I am only offering the firewall with the bodies at this time or it will throw off the number of castings per body out of the molds. The roof insert is molded into the roof; not a separate part like originally in the kit. Here you can see more clearly what it looked like when I was doing the master work. This is actually the second time I've molded this body (as is).

DSC00663.JPG

DSC00665.JPG

DSC00667.JPG

DSC00668.JPG

DSC00670.JPG

DSC00673.JPG

DSC00676.JPG

DSC00677.JPG

This is another friend's project using the original Revell Model A coupe body. You can see that he was able to make it fit the Revell '30 Model A sedan fenders by filling in the raised rear wheel wells. I will be offering a Model A coupe body with the rear wheel wells reworked to the stock configuration so you will not have to do it yourself.

20191117_153347.jpg

20191124_141545.jpg

20191117_153128.jpg

When or if I ever get the desire for a '30 coupe, I'll get the Monogram kit. The top insert is right. The firewall is right. The wheelwells are right. I can build it with or without fenders. With or without a hood. I can have a stock height roof or I can chop it. So many more options with that kit.  

• 5 months later...

Major update - at a very recent IPMS event Revell had a new product display that included a poster showing an updated execution of their 1930 Model A Five Window Hot Rod Coupe kit. 

It showed an all-new box art top with an illustration rather than a picture of the built model, and also showed an all-new decal sheet with several scallop designs and black/white checkered firewall treatments for both the highboy and channeled build versions.  The box art also showed the Buick Nailhead engines replacing the SBC's in the first kit issue, as was expected.    

The last time I had checked with my Revell contact,- about three months ago - I was told there was not a specific production date yet for the kit reissue.  Upon hearing the above news, I again rec-ontacted my source and was advised that the poster box art illustration and new decal sheets are indeed legit, and that the kit reissue is expected to  run sometime later this year, possibly as early as late summer (but I would expect somewhat later in the year). 

Needless to say, this is great news for all of us hot rod model builders, as this kit is easily among the top 5 hot rod kits ever released (at least it is in my opinion), and the very short production run of the first issue prevented many, if not most, interested hobbyists from buying the kit at that time. 

If I hear any further updates, including a firm production date, I will advise here. 

Best regards....TIM 

PS _ I did not post any images as I do not have the copyright permission for those images.  But you should be able to find them on the web easily enough, including a thread on lack of Revelll new kit news iin the "modle car kits" section of this forum....TB  

On 4/21/2021 at 1:28 PM, CabDriver said:

Out of curiosity, what are the other 4?  I'm guessing the Revell 32 is in there somewhere...

Jim....here's a link to the text for a story I did for "World of Rods" magazine on the "Top 50 Hot Rod Kits of the Last 50 years".  

Explanation for Top 50 Hot Rod Kits of Last 50 Years album | Funman1712 | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

I picked the best kits from each decade as finalist, and then at the end picked one best kit from each decade, and the overall winners (spoiler alert....a tie.)   Supporting rationale included.  Scroll through the pages to see the specific info...

The list dates from 2006 so it needs to be updated for the last 15 years - and if forced to choose, I would knock out the Monogram 1940 Ford Convertible kit to make room for the Revell Model A Five Window Coupe hot rod kit in the overall "Top 5".   Contrary views welcome...

TIM 

28 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Jim....here's a link to the text for a story I did for "World of Rods" magazine on the "Top 50 Hot Rod Kits of the Last 50 years".  

Explanation for Top 50 Hot Rod Kits of Last 50 Years album | Funman1712 | Fotki.com, photo and video sharing made easy.

I picked the best kits from each decade as finalist, and then at the end picked one best kit from each decade, and the overall winners (spoiler alert....a tie.)   Supporting rationale included.  Scroll through the pages to see the specific info...

The list dates from 2006 so it needs to be updated for the last 15 years - and if forced to choose, I would knock out the Monogram 1940 Ford Convertible kit to make room for the Revell Model A Five Window Coupe hot rod kit in the overall "Top 5".   Contrary views welcome...

TIM 

Ohh, awesome - thanks for the link Tim!  Will pore over that now!

Guess I have a good lead on my next 50 hot rod builds now...would be fun to complete the list (even if a few of those will be trick/pricy to find I'm sure).

6 hours ago, RSchnell said:

Like others have said, they sure messed up on that body. In addition to the firewall and wrong top insert, the visor is too long. The Monogram coupe body has it's shortcomings as well, but they pale in comparison to the Revell body.

I respectfully disagree with you on this. Neither one is perfect, but for a  hot rod application, I much prefer the new kit execution.  And there are 1/1 ''30 A 5W's out there with the roof configuration that is in the kit, albeit that roof is not correct to the original as you correctly note....TIM 

2 hours ago, tim boyd said:

I respectfully disagree with you on this. Neither one is perfect, but for a  hot rod application, I much prefer the new kit execution.  And there are 1/1 ''30 A 5W's out there with the roof configuration that is in the kit, albeit that roof is not correct to the original as you correctly note....TIM 

I'm still going to buy one regardless :).  I'll likely fill the insert and change the firewall around. That firewall just kills the looks. They should've left the cowl band off and not molded it onto the body. Of course the Monogram kit has the same issue with the firewall.

8 hours ago, RSchnell said:

I'm still going to buy one regardless :).  I'll likely fill the insert and change the firewall around. That firewall just kills the looks. They should've left the cowl band off and not molded it onto the body. Of course the Monogram kit has the same issue with the firewall.

Good the hear.  Replican and Miniatures makes a correct firewall that is a super-easy, quick, and cheap fix......TIM  

1 hour ago, tim boyd said:

Good the hear.  Replican and Miniatures makes a correct firewall that is a super-easy, quick, and cheap fix......TIM  

9 hours ago, RSchnell said:

And if the roof insert bothers you enough,  Drag City Casting makes a revised body with a more stock appearing roof insert and other improvements. And their quality is top notch if you've never dealt with them.

10 hours ago, Mr. Metallic said:

And if the roof insert bothers you enough,  Drag City Casting makes a revised body with a more stock appearing roof insert and other improvements. And their quality is top notch if you've never dealt with them.

Craig is spot-on about the Drag City roof options.....TIM 

• 4 months later...
57 minutes ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

..and in the beating a dead horse department....WHEN ARE WE GOING TO SEE THIS KIT AGAIN????? (yes, I'm yelling!)....

TIM- what have you heard recently, anything? -RRR

Rodney....nothing new on this end.  

Asked my contact who does some work for Revell for an update about a month or six weeks ago....he is normally very reliable but no word this time. 

Have not seen an official release date while other new Revell kits have seen this.  I hear that Revell personnel are very frustrated with the supply side and distribution channel disruptions and perhaps this one has been caught up in this situation too. 

Like you and many others, my frustration on this topic just continues to grow, not only as a hot rod modeler but also as one who wants to see Revell be successful and to see this kit finally live up to its sales potential, even it it is now ten+ years since it first entered development at Revell from my limited understanding....TB  

They had the box art placard, decals, and built production model in Vegas. I didn't cover it in my show run down because it's the same stuff that had been shown a month or two earlier at the Indy IPMS show. 

When I last looked there were 40 container ships at offshore anchorage waiting to get into the Ports at Long Beach & L.A., so that traffic jam has gotten worse not better. Albeit this is the time of year all the Christmas stuff comes in, so it would be busier regardless.

The '30 will no doubt move units, a lot of people were not able to snag one the first brief time around, but it's also a bit of a one and done until the next time the '29 circles the reissue sun in like 2029.

Edited by niteowl7710