Model Cars Magazine Forum

Hasegawa 1988 Isuzu Gemini (JT190) irmscher

Well, here it is! THE most anticipated model of the year! Hasegawa’s Isuzu Gemini. 

8105E5D1-EADB-40EB-9433-7C859EE5B61E.jpeg

Nice crisp, clean mold. A few very faint mold lines. Separate hood - makes painting the windshield wiper area easier and probably means different versions are coming.

61BCD931-7F33-4696-AF00-A50E7C10CFD1.jpeg

CCE85139-4661-405F-81BA-9389F0CE29D3.jpeg

0685DC52-41AA-46CC-A576-1B13C4D66D7A.jpeg

Separate side trim. The top side of the engine bay actually has a little bit of detail (strut tops) and it looks like they could do an insert style engine...but only the bottom half is included for now.

989752C1-69F0-4B57-AD84-A61EA04A4F87.jpeg

The separate wheel covers make painting easier.

46BEFBE4-6D58-4317-B1FB-91ABE9E78C52.jpeg

There are two taillight and headlight sets for an earlier and later version - I have no idea about that, but all you Isuszu fanatics probably do.

B0420E7B-0FEF-48CD-99DB-1A3869054E9E.jpeg

Nice decals. I don’t know how well those defroster line decals work - they seem cool, but end up kind of cloudy looking.

AC01DC2F-D2D4-4C3C-891C-6354C63D369D.jpeg

Includes front glass mask, nice.

5228C9FC-63DE-40A3-A1A3-611F132A3454.jpeg

The not so good - as with the BMW 2002, the door panels totally, well, suck...barely, barely scribed, no depth.

7432ECED-3065-42FD-8E55-DF5249601A8C.jpeg

60D059EE-E4C9-414E-BD74-4218200B2963.jpeg

Edited by Erik Smith

2 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Well, here it is! THE most anticipated model of the year! Hasegawa’s Isuzu Gemini. 

This is sarcasm, right? I don't mean to be disrespectful, but we are talking about a Chevy/Geo Spectrum/Isuzu I-Mark. Not the best rated cars in America as I recall. It must have been a big deal in Japan. Sometimes I wonder what gets in model makers heads when it comes to tooling up new kits.

The Irmsher Turbo have that bitty more door pushing 190HP (consider the time period), which was enough to have better 0-60 & 1/4 mile times than the IROCs and whatnot. Of course over here we just got the 85 HP econobox.

Edited by niteowl7710

3 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

This is excites me more than something from the rose colored glasses era, so yeah.

5 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

Yes, yes it is, I am very excited for this one,   I see you got me beat on the thread:(, mine is in transit

Edited by martinfan5

5 hours ago, THarrison351 said:

Haha. Yes and no. 

There is a small contingent of modelers who love (or, at least, like very much) oddball models. The more doors the better. The more mundane, the better. This kit is the epitome of “What?”, but that’s what makes it desired. 

2 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I see you got me beat on the thread:(, mine is in transit

I was very surprised to see the box from Japan so early. I preordered from Plaza Japan and always choose the slowest shipping - got lucky - must have had an extra nook or cranny to fill on an outgoing flight...you’ll probably get to gluing yours faster than me though.

Edited by Erik Smith

Good review Erik. Even if I have little to no interest in the vehicle, it's interesting to see what comes in the box. Again, I don't understand why this kit, like many other Japanese car kits, does not give us the option to build this kit as a LHD version. Especially since this car was offered in the US. 

A question from your photos. In the interior, is there a back seat? The picture of the interior tub, looks like there is only a plain flat platform where the rear seat should be. Yet I didn't see a rear seat on any of your other photos either?  

2 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Good review Erik. Even if I have little to no interest in the vehicle, it's interesting to see what comes in the box. Again, I don't understand why this kit, like many other Japanese car kits, does not give us the option to build this kit as a LHD version. Especially since this car was offered in the US. 

A question from your photos. In the interior, is there a back seat? The picture of the interior tub, looks like there is only a plain flat platform where the rear seat should be. Yet I didn't see a rear seat on any of your other photos either?  

Thanks!

The sprue with the interior tub, left side, has the rear seat. Next to the RHD dash.

50 minutes ago, unclescott58 said:

Well THIS car specifically was not offered outside of Japan.  We got the I-Mark and a rebadged as a Chevy vehicle, which wouldn't be buildable from the parts contained within this kit.

9 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

There are two taillight and headlight sets for an earlier and later version - I have no idea about that, but all you Isuszu fanatics probably do.

B0420E7B-0FEF-48CD-99DB-1A3869054E9E.jpeg

Nice decals. I don’t know how well those defroster line decals work - they seem cool, but end up kind of cloudy looking.

The defroster decal goes on from the inside, the glue is on the top, not the bottom like a traditional decal.

As for the separate taillights and other parts they allow you to build the car as either a pre-facelight 1986 or post-facelift 1988.  Amusingly the box calls it a 1988, but the car actually depicted is the '86.  In addition to the various part swaps, the '88 car also has side-repeaters for the front fenders which are clearly AWOL on that drawing.

Edited by niteowl7710

47 minutes ago, niteowl7710 said:

In addition to the various part swaps, the '88 car also has side-repeaters for the front fenders which are clearly AWOL on that drawing.

Thanks for info. 

The side repeaters are included with the kit and the instructions do show installing them on the “late” version. 

Well, OK then.  I like different too, but why not a Mazda 626 or a Mazda REPU. I'm not just saying that just because I'm a Mazda fan, those were two that quickly came to mind and were never kitted. Sadly, the only Mazdas the US market's ever had represented is the Miata and the RX-7. Great cars, I love to look at them, I can't fit in them, (too tall) but they look great. I'm sorry I'm getting off the subject. I can appreciate the want for new and different kits. I just wasn't aware there was any interest in anything from Isuzu, ever. They are famous for small, low-powered, stinky, diesels. I mean they don't even make cars anymore, just rebadged Colorados and some kind of inbred SUV Trailblazer/Colorado thingy. They've been out of the US market for 10 years. Ironically they are supposedly working with Mazda on their next generation pick up for markets outside North America.

40 minutes ago, THarrison351 said:

Well, OK then.  I like different too, but why not a Mazda 626 or a Mazda REPU. I'm not just saying that just because I'm a Mazda fan, those were two that quickly came to mind and were never kitted. Sadly, the only Mazdas the US market's ever had represented is the Miata and the RX-7. Great cars, I love to look at them, I can't fit in them, (too tall) but they look great. I'm sorry I'm getting off the subject. I can appreciate the want for new and different kits. I just wasn't aware there was any interest in anything from Isuzu, ever. They are famous for small, low-powered, stinky, diesels. I mean they don't even make cars anymore, just rebadged Colorados and some kind of inbred SUV Trailblazer/Colorado thingy. They've been out of the US market for 10 years. Ironically they are supposedly working with Mazda on their next generation pick up for markets outside North America.

Fujimi and Aoshima did 323s, Hasegawa Cosmo, and there are the 1/20 RX3s and a Cosmo...

I would love to see more Mazdas too. Maybe in Hasegawa’s future...? The new Mazda 6 is a beautiful car. 

I don’t see this (the I Mark) as an American market door buster. I don’t think we even got any of the supe’d up versions like the irscher or RS turbo.

Kool!  I been up nights wonderin' about this one too, but alas, them sujiborido polishing drums gotta come in 'fore I ship the latest from my private warehouse.

Only gripe I got: Hase REALLY hasta get with the separate interior door panel program. Serve it on up, otherwise...

Edited by Chuck Kourouklis
typo

2 minutes ago, Erik Smith said:

Fujimi and Aoshima did 323s, Hasegawa Cosmo, and there are the 1/20 RX3s and a Cosmo...

I would love to see more Mazdas too. Maybe in Hasegawa’s future...? The new Mazda 6 is a beautiful car. 

I don’t see this (the I Mark) as an American market door buster. I don’t think we even got any of the supe’d up versions like the irscher or RS turbo.

OK, I edited out 1/25 1/24, my mistake,  but I was clear on cars for US market. The 323s created by Aoshima and Fujima were not kitted to represent US cars. 

29 minutes ago, THarrison351 said:

OK, I edited out 1/25 1/24, my mistake,  but I was clear on cars for US market. The 323s created by Aoshima and Fujima were not kitted to represent US cars. 

Oh, true that. I guess I glanced over your US market line. 

5 hours ago, Chuck Kourouklis said:

Kool!  I been up nights wonderin' about this one too, but alas, them sujiborido polishing drums gotta come in 'fore I ship the latest from my private warehouse.

Only gripe I got: Hase REALLY hasta get with the separate interior door panel program. Serve it on up, otherwise...

I agree, those door panels look like something Bandai did back in the sixties for toys, or maybe it represents what the interior really looks like. I'm just sayin'.

Edited by THarrison351

On 3/7/2018 at 12:49 PM, Erik Smith said:

Haha. Yes and no. 

There is a small contingent of modelers who love (or, at least, like very much) oddball models. The more doors the better. The more mundane, the better. This kit is the epitome of “What?”, but that’s what makes it desired. 

I was very surprised to see the box from Japan so early. I preordered from Plaza Japan and always choose the slowest shipping - got lucky - must have had an extra nook or cranny to fill on an outgoing flight...you’ll probably get to gluing yours faster than me though.

I have taken quite a liking to the japanese kits lately. I browse way more than I buy though. This kit actually looks interesting to me, but kits like this make my wife roll her eyes :rolleyes:

What's your experience with Plaza Japan been like? Reliable?

56 minutes ago, shaunmza said:

I have taken quite a liking to the japanese kits lately. I browse way more than I buy though. This kit actually looks interesting to me, but kits like this make my wife roll her eyes :rolleyes:

What's your experience with Plaza Japan been like? Reliable?

I have had very good service from Plaza Japan. They also sell on eBay as Tokyo-Hobby, but if you go to their website, shipping is cheaper. Packages can take up to 3-4 weeks, but I always choose the cheapest shipping.  

The Isuzu

10 hours ago, fumi said:

For anyone wondering why Hasegawa kitted the Gemini, the car has quite a following in Japan, especially with the generation who grew up with their "Street Stopshort" TV commercials:

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=街の遊撃手+ジェミニ

One could get DOHC or turbo options, as well as tuned versions by Irmscher and Lotus.

I am hoping the RS Turbo version is a future release...? I knew/know very little about these cars but have been having fun learning and researching them recently. The Lotus package would be cool too. 

19 hours ago, Erik Smith said:

I am hoping the RS Turbo version is a future release...? I knew/know very little about these cars but have been having fun learning and researching them recently. The Lotus package would be cool too. 

Judging from the parts breakdown and Hasegawa's practice, if the Gemini sells reasonably well we will see more variations of it.

I think the Handling by Lotus package is a likely candidate, the dual tail pipes are already on the chrome sprue.  All it needs are new bumpers, new muffler and new wheels, which are conveniently molded in separate sprues.  Down the road they might release the irmscher Turbo with the hood scoop.

Edited by fumi

12 minutes ago, Dave Toups said:

I'll be patiently awaiting Bob Downie's article on improving the door panels for this kit, LOL

I suffer spontaneous Tourette's when I see the stock "die-cut foamcore" wheels and spontaneous narcolepsy every time I consider ordering one of these, so you might be waiting awhile...:D

Had it been a 323 GTX I'd already have one built!