Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model T Hot Rod: Retro Build

Harpo

This build was inspired by a paperback book I bought in 1966, when I was 12.  It's titled "Building and Racing the Hot Rod", and it's got 384 pages of up-to-the-minute (for 1966) advice and tech info on everything aspect of a DIY hot rod.  I spent hours of my youth reading that book and dreaming, and I also spent more hours building model kits.

I'm back in the hobby now (at 63), and finding this book among my things brought back those fond memories.  I remember too that I didn't have a lot of money for kits, and certainly not for real hot rods.  So I decided to build a model faithful to both the real-life parts available in 1966, and the state of my finances back then.

This is a "retro build"; it incorporates only 1966 and prior components, and only modeling techniques available to me then.  No photo-etched parts, no high dollar scale wires, my only concession was that I did use my airbrush for the body. 

The basis is a Revell Tweedy Pie and the added parts are either scratch or leftovers from my last two builds (IMC 48 Ford Coupe and Lindberg Little Red Wagon), just like the old days.  So what we have here is a 1923 Ford Model T chassis and body (Tweedy) with a Ford 427SE engine (IMC kit), a Spalding Flamethrower (scratch from sprue with .022 brass wire plug leads), a Halibrand rear end (Model T with cut down and ribbed gear housing added, made from LRW pushbutton shifter), and cheater slicks (grooved IMC spares).

The engine is set back for more traction, and the body is raised and moved to the rear to accommodate.  Exhaust is stock cast manifolds straight into dump pipes under the car (earplugs required).  Radiator and shell are raised to match body height, front suspension is lowered, rear suspension is raised.

Windshield is cut-down Tweedy, with top trim made from split insulation from 25ga wire.  Radiator hoses are also wire insulation.  Interior is brush painted to my conception of the perfect 60's color scheme - and perhaps my ambition exceeded my ability slightly, but I like it.  Exterior paint is metallic yellow with metallic violet firewall.

It's a car you could actually build and drive, though I admit it would be more than a little bit hard to handle.  And as much as I might want to build the 1:1 version, I'm going to resist. :)

HR1.jpg.7f7d28a3df075560ebf3dcabfa781899.jpg 

HR34.jpg.5e1040cb2f5904be4b5ace7afc35765a.jpg

HR29.jpg.07dfa4d319d5aa114b03f1b5d3d94624.jpg

HR30.jpg.e0c0843df76d017c527ff68502bbeaa3.jpg

HR31.thumb.jpg.a467d45dba6d29eb7d3f8223a4dc80a4.jpg

HR32.jpg.17d237f775f02be351243c4c98a32154.jpg

HR33.jpg.d50af661fb2aa394523807ab022901a9.jpg

Edited by Harpo

Very cool, clean, and interesting build! One could debate whether the SOHC would destroy the rear tires or the rear end first, or just wheelie-flip the whole car over onto its back, but there's no denying the craftsmanship and care in this build. Well done and model on! B)

Very nice clean looking build. I like how you replicated a T Bucket from the past. As Snake pointed out the 1:1 version would have been a handful. I remember T Buckets running around with small block Chevys that were almost impossible to control under hard acceleration, I can only guess what a Cammer Ford would have been like.