Model Cars Magazine Forum

1965 Lincoln Continental Navigator

Chuck Most

What if Lincoln had wanted to reach out to a younger, upwardly mobile family man in the mid '60's? This is my take on a what-if factory concept or coach-built Connie wagon. It's the most recent reissue of the kit which comes with two different wood grain motifs, clear or smoked glass parts, and the optional phantom wagon parts the kit has always had. I stuck with the stock front and rear treatments and the factory wheel covers, and coated the whole mess in Ford Toreador Red. One thing that always bothered me about the wagon roof was that the roof and back glass was all one piece- it seemed there'd be no access into the cargo bay from the rear. So I added an upper liftgate frame and some cut lines to suggest a cargo door back there. 

The model could stand some touch ups here and there, and I'll have to polish out the clear coat once it cures, but overall I'm actually surprised it came out looking this nice. The Toreador Red was a "proximity choice" (the can was visible while I was working on the body, so I just grabbed it and used it) and I wasn't sure if the wood paneling would look gaudy, but so far I'm liking it. 

As an aside... if any resin caster out there does (or is planning) a sedan body for this kit, I'm good for a couple. :)

100_0064.thumb.JPG.6487e9c896ba66acd501f5d2e260e79a.JPG

100_0065.thumb.JPG.1984e7026450302559d55d9b6513019e.JPG100_0066.thumb.JPG.6556563c917359352f70f3c15f4db64d.JPG

Great model.  I have always had a soft spot in my heart for the 65 Lincoln.  My friend's parents when I was in  elementary school  had a new 65 Lincoln and I remember it being the first car I had ridden in with a/c.  They were a tad for affluent than my parents.  Lol!   Anyhow great job on the model .