Model Cars Magazine Forum

Tamiya Mini Cooper 1275S Rally

shaunmza

I started gluing on other bits like the lights and also started on the decals.

Right from the start it was doomed, I broke the decals for the windshield before I even managed to get it off the decal sheet. I tried the door number next, which was almost perfect but for one corner where it seemed to have folded over itself.

I tried moving it, but the decal had set, so I broke that too. Eventually I washed it off with water, but the portion that had set, was stuck and no amount of water or rubbing would get it off.

Out came the sandpaper, and here is where I am now.

image.png

When the weather warms I will try patch up the paint. I was just so disappointed when that happened.

Here are a few more pictures of where the body stands.
image.png

The indicator seen on the right, I glued directly into the body, then used a silver sharpie to colour the silver on it. For the one on the left I first did the silver, front and back. The effect is quite a bit more pleasing, but the first one is glued in tight and I don't want to risk breaking something forcing it out.
image.png

I love the detail on these headlights.
image.png

Decals are proving hard for me to do properly. I even managed to break a bit out of the numberplate, not too noticeable, but it really irks me.

So I have shelved this for now. The chassis and other bits have gone back in the box and at the top of the closet, where it will stay until I manage to patch the body.

On 4/6/2018 at 8:41 PM, GlueTube said:

Now this one takes me down memory lane. Owned an EX works 63 Cooper, 997cc  with Red Body and Black roof back in 1975.  Your engine green color is spot on! Keep up the great work.

Regards

Brian Kroon

I too have fond memories of a Mini I owned when I was much, much younger. They are very fun to drive!

17 hours ago, Brizio said:

Nice little kit! Looking good!

Thanks!

16 hours ago, espo said:

I like the dash and the paint finish looks very good even without any polishing being done.

Thank you for the compliment. I am struggling to find any kind of polishing compund here, my local hobby shop is quite focussed on airplanes and tanks, so they are limited in what they stock. My next online purchase will include some rubbing and polishiing compounds so I can take away the orange peel, it's not very visible in the photo's :) 

12 hours ago, GlueTube said:

Too bad. Personally I would "weather out" the damage then put the model on a rally themed diorama base and carry on!

Regards

Brian Kroon

One day when I am more experienced I would love to try weathering, for now, this and the other models I have are basically practice for when I buy and build my dream cars, so I am trying to get experience in painting and so on.

Thanks for the comments.

• 1 month later...

image.png

This update starts on a more positive note, as I managed to patch the paint where I had sanded through before.

I am leaving it as it is in the photo's for now, simply because I don't have the courage to try and add the rest of the decals just yet. What else is obvious from the photo is that the roof rack and spare wheels still need to be addd on top as well.

image.png

A close up view from the front. I am sure I mentioned it before, but if you compare the indicators you will notice the left hand side one is brighter than the right. This is because I covered the entire rear part of it with silver before gluing, whereas the darker one I did not, so it has only the red of the body behind it.

image.png

image.png

Here you may notice the rear light lens is missing, it got stuck to the masking tape I used to cover the body while patching the paint and sadly I only noticed it was missing when I had thrown all the used tape away!

Look closely at the exhaust, can you see it has been drilled out?

image.png

image.png

Close up shots show so many flaws, but I do enjoy the ambience of these two, it almost feels as though you are peering into a real car.

image.png

The engine suffered a bit of paint loss from handling etc. I am not sure if it is normal for enamel paint to rub off so easily from plastic. Maybe some primer would have helped it last a bit longer?

I added the spark plug wires, and while they are not to scale I am glad I did. I was hoping to add brake lines too and so on, but my patience ran a bit thin.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Don't look too close or you will notice the faults!

I am planning to complete this model, but as of right now I cannot find the motivation to work on it. It is at least done to the point where I can glance over it every now and then.

The Mini is really looking good. Although it would look cool with all of the rally decals and roof rack, it looks very clean and purposeful without that stuff. The dark colour of the wheels makes it look mean. I like it. You did a great job on this one.

18 hours ago, Bainford said:

The Mini is really looking good. Although it would look cool with all of the rally decals and roof rack, it looks very clean and purposeful without that stuff. The dark colour of the wheels makes it look mean. I like it. You did a great job on this one.

Thanks so much I appreciate the compliment.

The wheels do look alot better than I was expecting with this colour.

Before we moved to Portugal my wife and I were looking at Nova Scotia. I would still like to go visit it someday, preferably when theres no snow though :) 

4 hours ago, shaunmza said:

Before we moved to Portugal my wife and I were looking at Nova Scotia. I would still like to go visit it someday, preferably when theres no snow though :) 

If you get the chance to do so, I highly recommend doing it during the month of September. The weather is great and the tourist traffic will have subsided for the year.

Cheers.

On 6/7/2018 at 8:23 PM, GlueTube said:

Well done!

Regards

Brian Kroon

On 6/8/2018 at 2:50 PM, geetee66 said:

Well done! I'm about to start the racing version of this kit. 

Considering this is one of your first car builds, you're getting some nice results. Mistakes teach you. Learning new skills, is half the fun. 

Keep at it!

Thank you both, I appreciate the positive feedback!