Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Ford Altered

Looking good, but I agree on the front wheels / tires. Altereds didn't run motorcycle wheels, you need Halibrands, spokes , mags or even steel wheels. I think the slicks should be smaller too. I assume you are going for a 60's build, nine ince M&H pie crusts would be right.

Keep us posted, a very interesting build.

9 hours ago, Alan said:

I like where this is going, but, redo the motor mounts to the correct position and set them further back on the sides of the block. If you are unsure to where exactly just google a pic ......

Alan I am going to move the motor mounts it’s just like that for mock-up.

5 hours ago, GaryR said:

Looking good, but I agree on the front wheels / tires. Altereds didn't run motorcycle wheels, you need Halibrands, spokes , mags or even steel wheels. I think the slicks should be smaller too. I assume you are going for a 60's build, nine ince M&H pie crusts would be right.

I am still not sure what I am going to use for the front wheels yet and those are just there because they were the only ones that fit on the axle for the mock-up. The rear wheel are going to stay though.

thanks everyone.

Cale,

I think it looks COOL with that stance!  Although there are a lot of builders who absolutely want to build a 1:1 in 1/25 scale, I remember the FUN when I was starting modeling of building what my imagination came up with...I used to call mine "junkers" but they were the most fun builds of all.  There's no right or wrong, and if you want to go with wire rims, go for it!  I'm watching!

An Altered of that type would have a roll bar or a cage depending on what era it was raced.

Rear axle could be anything found in a wrecking yard. The type of differential would, again, be according the time frame that the car competed in. Olds, Pontiac, Chrysler 8 3/4 would be common as would a Halibrand Quick Change if the funds were available.

If you want some really good pics and ideas for early Altereds you have to check this out!: http://www.georgeklass.net/altereds.html

Edited by 6bblbird

Those headers look like a good fit. I would recommend cutting the modern tapered collectors off and replacing them with a straight tube (drinking straw?).

The 12 spoke front wheels will look good on that car.

WF

Edited by 6bblbird

On 3/11/2018 at 9:19 AM, 426 pack said:

Thanks guys.

I found a set of headers and rims that I like.

0C792BB6-7092-41C4-8508-18C66A944D24.jpeg

PERFECT! Everybody else calm down!
Jeeez, obviously anybody can just build what they want, BUT OBVIOUSLY by posting it here you are inviting comments and suggestions. Why so defensive, it's NOT EVEN YOUR MODEL!

The OP seems fine with it.

Some people get VERY defensive and offended when comments and suggestions are offered. That's what these threads are for! When you post, you open yourself up to positive and negative critique. Most people understand this, some don't.

If you don't like the suggestions, you can simply ignore them and do as you like!

WF

49 minutes ago, 6bblbird said:

Some people get VERY defensive and offended when comments and suggestions are offered. That's what these threads are for! When you post, you open yourself up to positive and negative critique. Most people understand this, some don't.

If you don't like the suggestions, you can simply ignore them and do as you like!

WF

That's only one of the reasons I don't post any WIP pictures of my on going or current builds.

On 3/10/2018 at 4:03 PM, GaryR said:

Agree completely on every count. Brother Gary is preaching you good gospel here. Can I get a AY-men from the choir? B)

This is ridiculous! Simply silly.

WOW! You found the exception to the rule! Woo woo!
The OP seems to appreciate the advice and comments, again, WHY are you others so wound up?
SOME AHRA classes permitted cycle wheels.I suggest you other defenders of the folks that didn't ask YOU to defend them know it alls ca,...................................CONSULT THE NHRA RULEBOOKS FOR THE PERIOD AND READ THAT CYCLE WHEELS ARE NOT PERMITTED!

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/2006u57wp7sqpxt/eZJPZZcJdZ

Last word to you guys.

LOL How hard is that ya old grouches?? LOL:o :lol:

Edited by GaryR

Wow I missed a lot well I was gone.

Let me try to clear things up. I don’t mind the l suggestions, comments and stuff like that but it is MY model and I’m not trying to get it exactly how the 1:1 would be as I’m just trying to get out of a slump with a “fun build”.  I didn’t mean to start a big thing over tires and rims I am only trying to share my biuld with everyone and so I can document it along the way.

I did get a little bit of work done on it. I to biuld a different set of headers as the other ones didn’t fit  the way I wanted.

image.jpg