Model Cars Magazine Forum

So long old friend (ode to a building)

HomerS

Constructed in 1949 as a smaller version of the Gardens in Toronto, the Cincinnati Gardens is finally meeting it's demise.  Homes to various concerts, car shows and other events, it was once home to various minor league hockey teams and the Cincinnati Royals (now Sacramento Kings).  I got to know it with yet another effort to bring hockey to town in 1990 with a two year AA league known as the ECHL (Still in the league today but at the downtown arena).  Lots of great memories (taking my now 20 year old son to get player autographs after a hockey game, taking mom to a game as she wanted to go but dad had no interest, one of my last father/son moments actually talking dad INTO seeing a game).

No taxpayer $$ to build it.....no overpriced private boxes.....no $10-20 parking a country mile away.....sat 10,326 for hockey, not a bad seat in the house

Gardens 03 08 18.JPG

Edited by HomerS
spelling faux pas

Seems like we don't appreciate the older things and can't wait to tear them down to make room for something newer. Astrodome been in limbo for years with many proposals but no action except for becoming a home for rats and feral cats.

We'll be undergoing something similar soon here in Edmonton.

Our NHL arena was built back in 1976/77. Northlands Coliseum was home to the Edmonton Oilers until 2016. Hosted thousands of concerts over the years, rodeos, car shows, monster trucks, conferences, etc. Had been remodelled a couple of times to improve the facility, including adding luxury boxes. But, we needed something better. More seating, better sound, better everything.

Rogers place opened almost two years ago, and it's amazing. I've been to arenas all over North America, and I have yet to be in one that comes close to this place.

But alas, Edmonton doesn't need two 15000+ seat arenas, so Northlands Coliseum will be torn down. So many memories in that building.

Heck, I got all nostalgic last year when a local bar was torn down. It had sat empty for a couple of years, but throughout the 90s, I spent a lot of time there, watching bands, playing there with my bands, hanging with friends. Was sad to see it go. 

• 2 weeks later...

The hockey team moved to the other arena downtown to a marginally better arena.  It was built in the mid 70's and had some very minor renovations in the late 90's.  There is a proposed plan to demo it and replace it with a state of the art facility but the taxpayers are having a cow over more $$ going to another sports venue.  The city is missing out on concerts, conventions and other events with a sub-par arena but being on the hook for two stadiums for a poor baseball team and ever worse football team.  

The entity that bought it overpriced the seats thinking people would pay big bucks like the demo of Riverfront stadium got.  They only sold about 1,100 seats out of the 10,326 so the rest are being victims of the demo.

Wanna buy a scoreboard?

Gardens scoreboard 03 18 18.JPG

Edited by HomerS