Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Styrene" plastic glue? Polar Lights Frankenstein's Fliver

Hi guys, Years ago I bought a package deal of some odd models on Ebay. The Frankenstein's Fliver piped my interest so I decided to put it together with my nephew. I used the regular old Testors glue in a tube I always did. It didn't stick in fact fell apart the next day. Then I looked in the instructions and read that it was made in a different type of plastic. ( I believe it was styrene, I don't have the kit here to check) Anyway, I would like to build this kit. Are any of you familiar with this type of plastic and what type glue to use? Thanks, Greg.

53 minutes ago, Greg Rogers said:

Hi guys, Years ago I bought a package deal of some odd models on Ebay. The Frankenstein's Fliver piped my interest so I decided to put it together with my nephew. I used the regular old Testors glue in a tube I always did. It didn't stick in fact fell apart the next day. Then I looked in the instructions and read that it was made in a different type of plastic. ( I believe it was styrene, I don't have the kit here to check) Anyway, I would like to build this kit. Are any of you familiar with this type of plastic and what type glue to use? Thanks, Greg.

For starters, look for the manufacturer's logo on the box--if it reads "Playing Mantis" then that is the older issue of the kit (Playing Mantis was the original mfr of Polar Lights model kits, sold out to AMT/Ertl in the summer of 2004).  I'm wondering if the kit you describe might have been molded in ABS plastic, rather than polystyrene.

Art

10 hours ago, Art Anderson said:

For starters, look for the manufacturer's logo on the box--if it reads "Playing Mantis" then that is the older issue of the kit (Playing Mantis was the original mfr of Polar Lights model kits, sold out to AMT/Ertl in the summer of 2004).  I'm wondering if the kit you describe might have been molded in ABS plastic, rather than polystyrene.

Art

Thanks Art, Yep I think it is playing mantis, sounds familiar and ABS also sounds familiar. Kit isn't here but I will check. I wonder if ABS is the same a PVC pipe? Use that PVC glue?   Thanks again, Greg.

Polystyrene and ABS are chemically related: you can think of ABS as like polystyrene with added rubber for toughness. So glue that works on regular polystyrene works on ABS, but not as well... hence you need the "hottest" styrene glue to bond ABS. Scalextric slot cars are moulded in ABS, because it takes crisp detail almost as well as regular polystyrene moulding, but won't be terminally trashed if you flip your Mini Cooper off the table cornering too fast... Not sure why you'd mould a regular "kit" in ABS, though: the upside in toughness to resist being played with regularly seems like it comes with a big risk that most people couldn't put it together so it stays that way!

best,

M.