Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '85 Mustang SVO

rsxse240

So I started yet another project.  Was going to be box stock for The MCMA 2018 Showdown, but health and finance prevented me from going.  Since that was the case, a full detail build was in order with only VERY limited modifications and mainly just detailing.

I painted this with Model Master Arctic Blue Acrylic.  It sprayed through my airbrush with absolutely no issue.  Then the clear coat ate my lunch, so into the purple pond she went-a-swimmin'.  I think I will be going with a Sinful Colors "Let's Talk" pearl blue this time so I can use lacquer clear.  IMG_20180301_122358852.thumb.jpg.4f359b61c551d85fe0fcbf316c07caa2.jpg

The interior is relatively box stock.  I modified the gauges to be deeper into the dash and to have a lens.  It didn't turn out as good as I had hoped, but I think it looks better than the stock offering.

IMG_20180301_121955549.thumb.jpg.40a6e6c95f4c3aeb11b585f9e4a3acaa.jpg

I weathered the chassis and Engine to resemble something that is driven often as opposed to a trailer queen.  I used light gray primer, acrylic washes (made with thinned out paint), airbrush work to get some grime stains, and a very steady hand to paint the molded in hoses, lines and details.

IMG_20180301_121936490.thumb.jpg.1ac91e329a1d0a21d93fdf3edb96a55f.jpg

The Engine and Transmission are also detailed with acrylic washes also I have added ignition wire, turbo oil feed line, brake booster hose, and will be adding more harnesses and air conditioning system.

IMG_20180301_122038318.thumb.jpg.16392e59b1436663aa25c1b1a0bbf638.jpg

I was also very unhappy with the chrome turn signals up front, so I made a mold and cast some clear lenses.  I added material to the back of the lenses to resemble the buckets of the real car, instead of just plain lenses with nothing behind them.  My first rendering of the clear lens came out great, but I new I could make it better.  The second image of the lenses I am comparing the original part to my first rendering of clear lenses that have been detailed.

received_10211464932601097.jpeg.7879f5790d8a7a551c8bbf166621d5ed.jpeg

IMG_20180304_195805022_HDR.thumb.jpg.a6eda3915122378cabeae80fe4492fd4.jpg

Stay tuned.  This will, hopefully, be pretty quick, as long as the paint cooperates

Those chrome turn signals/parking light lenses were the most obvious weakness of that kit. Good to see you addressed that in a major way. :)

I built this kit long ago and used Bare Metal Foil's Black Chrome for the window trim, but ended up going over it all with Testors Semi-flat black to tone it down. Hopefully you have a steady hand. :D IIRC the catalytic converter is HUGE on this kit (possibly in real life, too), but is rather blob-like, so a good wash and some detailing will really help.

Looks great so far. Love the SVO Mustangs. :wub:

17 hours ago, MikeRousseau said:

Thats one of the best looking weathered chassis I've seen ina  really long time! \m/ Keep it up!

Thanks, Mike.  I really wanted to make this car look driven but not abused, as if maybe a feller might have purchased it and put a paint job and some other stuff to make it look nice without having it fully restored.

Looking at my Revell 1993 Cobra I was seeing some things that needed attention.  The wheel wells are non-existent.  

IMG_20180320_163724345.thumb.jpg.394dc4042f96f520f17841722aa09b9d.jpg

So I found a chassis with some decent wheel wells from the parts box, I think it was from a Buick.

IMG_20180320_163748091.thumb.jpg.3feb12e428705ab092d9459ba0287e66.jpg

Some fancy cutting, super-glue, and some putty later and a you have a reasonable wheel well.

IMG_20180320_213837885.thumb.jpg.22c890f6acd91cdb829aed1cbcd6d7dc.jpg

Now I'm going to blob in some Tamiya primer to give it an under-body coating texture, some semi-gloss or flat black and some weathering to match the rest of the chassis.  Then on to the front.

• 2 weeks later...

I wasn't happy with the clear version of the kit headlights, so I re-molded them to have buckets behind the turn/park lamps.

IMG_20180403_171200094.thumb.jpg.455b7af24a2c33e15dc079a93f082c4a.jpg

I also finished up the new rear inner-fenders and drilled and painted the exhaust.

IMG_20180403_171705654_HDR.thumb.jpg.5b3aed347d7d6a068bf949e7dccd2b89.jpg

I lowered the suspension about 1/16" and I can't deny, it is amazing how much better it looks as opposed to the kit ride height. (Pics to come later).

There really isn't a lot more to do, but the clear coat is being very stubborn and it isn't getting very shiny.  I can't assemble anything else until I get the paint done.  Soon as I figure that out it'll be "Under Glass".

Edited by rsxse240

On 4/4/2018 at 1:50 AM, Luc Janssens said:

Looks great, and you made the chassis really pop, good to see there's a way to fix those headlamps, it was so un-Monogram back then.

Wonder what the rationale was behind that choice,.... Bob Johnson in da house?

:D

The bad thing is the sister kits (the 93 Cobra and the GT Convertible) had amazing headlights with buckets behind the lenses.  Maybe the SVO was the basis of the Cobra and convertible and they made improvements.  Who knows.  Anyway you put it, I have some good looking lenses now.

I love the Fox-bodies, and especially the SVOs.  This is coming along nicely - an inspiration, even.  I've decided to wire, cable, and plumb my wheezy little 2.3L in my '82 GL as a result (I'm not ready to weather one just yet, though).

My '85 SVO kit I built back in the late '80s had the clear lenses, though - must've been a different kit back in the day, I guess.

Edited by Mister 4x4

Thank you for your compliments.  It really does fuel the drive to do better and push through the difficult parts of modelling.

Don't mistake this one for not having clear headlight lenses, it does.  However, it doesn't have clear front corner markers or turn signals. 

I know, I was thinking mine had clear signal and parking light lenses as well - as in, one-piece all the way across.  I just looked, and I stand corrected - mine are painted solid yellow and orange, so I'm guessing they were chromed like yours (been a day or two - I built it in 1988 or '89).  I'd modeled it after one I'd seen in a 7-11 parking lot that had the '80s monochrome white treatment - it just looked so cool to me at the time.  Looks like I lost the mirrors at some point along the way as well.

SVObuild1.jpg

Thanks.  It's all just thinned acrylic paint and dry brush.  As a mechanic, I see a LOT of daily driven car chassis, so I really know what they look like.  Lol

You see the blue "overspray" like ithe car was recently painted?  I am going for a used but well driven look