Model Cars Magazine Forum

'64 Olds Dual Judson Supercharged Engine?

Just saw this on eBay, '64 Olds hardtop engine compartment. Are those supposed to be Latham axial flow superchargers? Maybe something more exotic and odd?? They are Judson superchargers...wild stuff, kids!:

amt64oldsengine.thumb.jpg.88d260256d7b7a53eddbad772061be77.jpg

oc64_c02-vi.jpg

Edited by Casey

I've seen a LOT of Judsons over the years for small engines, and they typically have closely spaced cooling fins, like below. I'm not saying the model setup shown doesn't exist in reality, but I've never encountered anything even remotely like it....though the black one below is somewhat similar in the shape of the housing. They typically don't really require toothed belts either, as it takes much less power to drive them than Roots type blowers.

Image result for Judson superchargers    Image result for Judson superchargers    Image result for Judson superchargers

The model setup is also, once again, wildly incorrect in its portrayal of a possible Weber carb mounting. Even if they're downdrafts, which is hard to tell from the model. they would HAVE to be mounted level in order to work...unlike the angled mount shown in the instructions.

There were lots of kits for a variety of engines...even Ford flatheads and Corvairs...

image.jpeg.0bc4ec20fa22e9dc7d0df82dbfb0ac6f.jpeg     Image result for Judson superchargers V8

Image result for Judson superchargers V8

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 3/9/2018 at 1:11 PM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I've seen a LOT of Judsons over the years for small engines, and they typically have closely spaced cooling fins, like below. I'm not saying the model setup shown doesn't exist in reality, but I've never encountered anything even remotely like it...

It does appear the ribs and are much too thick and the housing/case shape not terribly accurate on the AMT parts. This oddball supercharger goes hand in hand with the Latham setup from the '23 T kits.

Just now, Casey said:

It does appear the ribs and are much too thick and the housing/case shape not terribly accurate on the AMT parts. This oddball supercharger goes hand in hand with the Latham setup from the '23 T kits.

Yeah, but the Latham is actually pretty accurate, sorta. The one in the Johan Eldo is better...AND has sidedraft Webers mounted correctly.  

• 1 month later...
On 3/9/2018 at 11:11 AM, Ace-Garageguy said:

I've seen a LOT of Judsons over the years for small engines, and they typically have closely spaced cooling fins, like below. I'm not saying the model setup shown doesn't exist in reality, but I've never encountered anything even remotely like it....though the black one below is somewhat similar in the shape of the housing. They typically don't really require toothed belts either, as it takes much less power to drive them than Roots type blowers.

Image result for Judson superchargers    Image result for Judson superchargers    Image result for Judson superchargers

The model setup is also, once again, wildly incorrect in its portrayal of a possible Weber carb mounting. Even if they're downdrafts, which is hard to tell from the model. they would HAVE to be mounted level in order to work...unlike the angled mount shown in the instructions.

There were lots of kits for a variety of engines...even Ford flatheads and Corvairs...

image.jpeg.0bc4ec20fa22e9dc7d0df82dbfb0ac6f.jpeg     Image result for Judson superchargers V8

Image result for Judson superchargers V8

This is funny to me, putting a super charger on a 32hp Renault Dauphine. These were rated as one of the worst cars ever built, now lets throw a super charger on it and see how fast we can blow it up or kill ourselves from the poor handling. Good stuff.

• 1 year later...
On 4/13/2018 at 11:24 AM, Jantrix said:

I'd like to see someone resin cast or 3D print a few of these.

Apparently there is at least some demand for it/them: https://www.ebay.com/itm/1964-Olds-034-Judson-Super-Charged-Engine-034-AMT-1-25-/143381257120?nma=true&si=OovUTyrOPN5%252BCW2dGbp2TR%252B4tek%253D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

Jud1.thumb.jpg.6d2146a83824a3a3d2980e4c0413be71.jpg

Jud2.thumb.jpg.b54e44a5b07d24bc3b2aa07641305059.jpg

23 minutes ago, GaryR said:

They are ( or were ) cast. Wanna say....a couple years ago, can't remember who.

Accurate or not, I like 'em and want a set!

3 hours ago, falcon wagon said:

Someone was doing one a few years back I have two in resin I don't remember who did them but for $15. each they were a good buy. 

Ma's resin?