Model Cars Magazine Forum

AMT Parts Packs Suggestions

2 minutes ago, regular guy said:

Well we're happy with the Tiger Shark and 1/12 Fiat frames.

Use them for reference.

Fiat is very cool in that it looks totally custom made.

Nice knowing you can just fabricate and the car will get down the road.

I have the 1/12 Fiat too, and personally think the frame is a joke designed by somebody else who had no clue.

I guess it all depends on your frame of reference.

Yes.It is a question of whether you want to 'Boldly go where no man has gone before' or stay on the farm.

Back to the parts packs.

50's and 60's Custom car show ones please.

Like the '57 Fantasy latest issue.

Plexiglass craze was early 60's.

Like the Thunderbird kit with the dual canopies.

That's cool!

Could you glue the Hot Rod frame together so we can make a better comparison?

No. Don't do that. Just kidding!

Looks like an alignment problem with that front tire.Bad cupping on it.

I will look at Tiger Rod frame later. I remember it as being chromed.

Maybe it's the surf rod frame.

Interesting front torsion bar setup on Tiger rod and how they did a lot of work for tranny mount.

Like the 'get it done' body supports on side.

Thanks for posting pic's.Takes me half and hour to post a pic of anything.

3 minutes ago, regular guy said:

Yes.It is a question of whether you want to 'Boldly go where no man has gone before' or stay on the farm....

Not sure of your meaning there, Bob ol' buddy.

I'm an engineer / real car builder, and I can design / fabricate REAL frames.

I kinda know what I'm looking at, and when I say a frame is stupidly designed, like the one in the 1/12  Lindberg Fiat, it IS stupidly designed. By somebody with no clue.

But never let a lack of knowledge get in the way of having an expert opinion.

1 hour ago, Psychographic said:

Not necessarily for pro street, these could be used for a variety of cars. I have no interest in old chrome frames, they are easy to build. Building suspension components are a PITA, so having parts to use without sacrificing a whole kit, would be nice. But I doubt there are enough people who would buy such a pack, beside the fact that the cost would probably not be low enough to make it worth while to buy over sacrificing a kit and having other left over parts for a few bucks more.

That is the biggest issue with parts Packs. In the long run its cheaper to buy a kit for the parts you want and sell or trade the rest.

The amt wagon rod has a morrison style chassis with bagged ifs and a four link solid rear with airbags also,

1 minute ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

That is the biggest issue with parts Packs. In the long run its cheaper to buy a kit for the parts you want and sell or trade the rest.

The amt wagon rod has a morrison style chassis with bagged ifs and a four link solid rear with airbags also,

Exactly. And the Phantom Vickie has a nice IFS on a separate subframe that adapts easily to older chassis designs too. There are already a lot of slow sellers, usually available cheap if you know what you're doing, that make new-tooling really unnecessary.

' when I say a frame is stupidly designed, like the one in the 1/12  Lindberg Fiat, it IS stupidly designed. By somebody with no clue. '

Those people are probably dead.So I myself do not criticise them.

I have respect for what they did.

In the hot rod game that is one thing you learn is humbility.

After you see some off shore racing boats with four engines.

You can buy a house in some neighborhoods with what they spend for say part of an an outdrive.

Those always somebody bigger and badder than you are around the corner.

Back to the parts packs.

Some fabric and carpet packs would be nice.

Edited by regular guy

4 minutes ago, regular guy said:

In the hot rod game that is one thing you learn is humbility.

But not words, apparently.  :D

You also learn to pay attention to and learn from people who actually know what they're doing.

I learn new things every day from people who know more than I do...and there are a lot of them.

But arguing from ignorance doesn't usually move anyone forward in life.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

' Tiger shark frame and chrome amt frame. '

Looked at the Tiger Shark and Surf Woody/Rod.

Surf woody I found frame and it's plain, no chrome.

Tiger Shark I didn't want to unwrap but looks like no chrome frame there.

So must of been 1/12 Fiat I was thinking of.

Suspension Parts Packs are a good idea.

Like the subframss.

2 hours ago, regular guy said:

' I have no interest in old chrome frames '

Oooh! That's blasphemy!;)

Here's something you might use.

I don't know how much suspension is under it though.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/amt-2012-corvette-coupe-plastic-model-car-kit-1:25-scale-756

Later model Corvette kits are cheap everywhere.

Back to the parts packs.

Yep.Suspension one would be a good idea.

There is NO suspension in that kit, it's effectively an unassembled promotional model with everything molded into a chassis tray. 

You seem to have a serious issue demanding things while at the same time having little knowledge of what actually already exists or what any given kit contains.

2 hours ago, regular guy said:

' I have no interest in old chrome frames '

Oooh! That's blasphemy!;)

Here's something you might use.

I don't know how much suspension is under it though.

http://www.hobbylinc.com/amt-2012-corvette-coupe-plastic-model-car-kit-1:25-scale-756

Later model Corvette kits are cheap everywhere.

Back to the parts packs.

Yep.Suspension one would be a good idea.

Quoted from the comments on the kit you suggested to get for the suspension pieces.

" I built this in 2 Days even with painting it. there is no motor to put together or suspension. this would be a great model for a beginner. "

Why bother to suggest a kit to use for parts if you don't have a clue as to what it contains?

28 minutes ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Regular guy. You have mentioned upholstery kits several times. I'm curious what your research shows for what the costs to make a kit, what price they will have to sold to make it profitable, and how many modelers will be interested in buying the kits.

Both Revell and Aurora issued upholstery packs with soft materials like colored vinyl for seats and door panels, and felt for carpet.

I can't put my hands on mine at the moment, and I haven't found any photos online, but I have a feeling they were the worst sellers in the entire parts-pack genre.

Without heat-molding capability (to vacuum-mold the stuff over a custom or existing seat or panel) or the skill to micro-sew, they were just about useless.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Exactly. And the Phantom Vickie has a nice IFS on a separate subframe that adapts easily to older chassis designs too. There are already a lot of slow sellers, usually available cheap if you know what you're doing, that make new-tooling really unnecessary.

Good info, thanks. The problem is, I would probably like to build the Vicky!

I did say earlier that the price they would have to sell a pack like I suggested would make it a  non seller if for a few bucks more you could have a whole kit.

Edited by Psychographic

1 minute ago, Psychographic said:

Good info, thanks. The problem is, I would probably like to build the Vicky!

Well, if there was a traditional I-beam axle and buggy-spring rear end parts-pack, you could build it traditional and still pirate it for the IFS.  ;)

There's a couple of shots of the front end in this thread...

41 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Both Revell and Aurora issued upholstery packs with soft materials like colored vinyl for seats and door panels, and felt for carpet.

I can't put my hands on mine at the moment, and I haven't found any photos online, but I have a feeling they were the worst sellers in the entire parts-pack genre.

Without heat-molding capability (to vacuum-mold the stuff over a custom or existing seat or panel) or the skill to micro-sew, they were just about useless.

Like this thread and most of the ideas within.

The impossible-to-actually-use Revell interior pack...(image thanks to K&R Kustoms & Rods on Fotki:   https://public.fotki.com/jferren/revell-parts-packs/  )

Four pieces of textured vinyl, a piece of black felt, and a piece of "chrome" paper. Neat idea, but impossible to do anything cool with unless you had the skills of a brain surgeon, and always the last parts-pack hanging when every other one was gone. Probably 90% just got thrown out.

IMG 3495

IMG 3496

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

On 3/11/2018 at 7:39 PM, Renegade said:

I would like to see a parts pack of emergency light bars. Could be used on police, ambulance, wreckers, service trucks, and I'm sure a few other applications.

On 3/11/2018 at 7:46 PM, martinfan5 said:

No need for that in the parts pack, light bars are very easy to get right now.

Yes, especially if you get any of the Lindberg Dodge Charger police cars from maybe around 2010 or in that general timeframe. Every kit, though the "plain" car was the only one to actually advertise it, they all come with 8 different lightbars. 

20180313_150450.thumb.jpg.ea289d419fc997796918cd7b16bd0e4c.jpg

13 minutes ago, highway said:

Yes, especially if you get any of the Lindberg Dodge Charger police cars from maybe around 2010 or in that general timeframe. Every kit, though the "plain" car was the only one to actually advertise it, they all come with 8 different lightbars. 

20180313_150450.thumb.jpg.ea289d419fc997796918cd7b16bd0e4c.jpg

No kidding, I probably bought close to a 12 of them, I have a life time supply of lightbars lol

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Well, if there was a traditional I-beam axle and buggy-spring rear end parts-pack, you could build it traditional and still pirate it for the IFS.  ;)

The Phantom Vickie chassis fits well under the Revell 32 Ford kits, and the Revell chassis fits the Phantom Vickie.

9 minutes ago, sfhess said:

The Phantom Vickie chassis fits well under the Revell 32 Ford kits, and the Revell chassis fits the Phantom Vickie.

Yup. And they both work reasonably well under the ancient-tool AMT '32 Fords too, and vice versa.

And the REASON is because they're ALL 1/25 scale versions of the same car, so IF the different groups doing their measuring and dividing by 25 did their work correctly (surprising how many people in the industry don't seem to have these basic skills today), they all SHOULD fit each other...at least pretty damm close.:D

• Xingu locked this topic