Model Cars Magazine Forum

Speaking of Griffons, there were both short-nosed and long-nosed Griffon Spits. The short ones were the MK XII and the Seafire XV and XVII; the long-nose ones were the MK XIV, 18, PR19, and all those thereafter. (I believe they went from Roman to Arabic number with the 18.) 

The MK XVI was the highest number with the Merlin. 

The Griffon was developed from the Schnider Trophy air racing "R" engine wich in turn was developed from the Buzzard and it has 10 litres larger displacement than the Merlin at 36,7 litres.
I talked with a pilot some years ago who flew Merlin powered P51 D Mustang registration SE-BIL and Spitfire Mk XVI registration SE-BIN for the Swedish company Biltema, they also had a Griffon Spitfire Mk XVIII registration SE-BIR at the time, he flew all of them and I asked wich one he prefered to fly, he said the Spitfire Mk XVI was most fun, the Mustang P51 D was comfortable and easy to fly, and the Griffon Spitfire Mk XVIII was a beast as it was nose heavy and the Griffon rotates the opposite way from the Merlin so it was harder to fly.
Unfortunately about a month later that same pilot crashed with the Griffon Spit in Tynset Norway and lost his life, the Mk XVIII is repaired and sold and is now in England with registration G-BUOS.
The other two are still in Biltema ownership and flies at airshows around Europe.

Edited by Force

Just as a heads-up, the latest issue of "Air Classics" magazine has several articles related to this thread.  For one thing, it has Part Four of the magazine's series on the Schneider Air Races.  This is the March 2018 issue, with the Grumman JF-2 Duck on the cover.

Twelve cylinders not enough for you?  There's a photo of a P-47 being fitted with Chrysler's experimental V-16 IV-2220 monster engine.  Also a mention of a Hemi V-12, the Continental I-1430  Hyper engine. It was an inverted V-12 featuring "cylinders with hemispherical combustion chambers using sodium-filled exhaust valves."  Continental built 23 of them, and one was tested in the Lockheed XP-49. 

This issue also has articles on a couple of famous flops:  the hapless Brewster Buccaneer/Bermuda dive bomber and the YB-60 bomber, a B-36 with swept wings and 8 jet engines. 

On 3/10/2018 at 10:00 AM, LDO said:

I may have an extra Merlin from the old Airfix P-51D.

We can talk trade if you want. No need for PM. I would be looking for a complete car model. Probably an AMT Phantom Vicky or Revell '29 or '32 Ford.

I am back home now, and I do have some '32s .........but they are built.

IMG_7027.jpg

IMG_7028.jpg

If one of those doesn't catch it, by all means  proceed with Bill.

On 3/11/2018 at 3:36 AM, 1930fordpickup said:

Is there a De Haviland Beaver or an Otter in 1/25 or 1/24 scale? 

On 3/11/2018 at 9:06 AM, Snake45 said:

There used to be a big, simple 1/24 Beaver offered as a sort of promotional item by somebody--might have been a whiskey distiller. I've never seen one in person; I think I've seen one built up in FineScale modeler or someplace...

You guys are killing me. Found one, figgered it would probably be the only one I'd ever see, so I kinda let it follow me home. Image result for 1/24 Beaver

Revell did some 1/28 WW1 aircraft. The Fokker DR1 triplane and Sopwith Camel  have a rotary engines (spinny round radial style, not Wankel), don't know the quality of detail. They also did some with inline engines but don't know if those included engine detail or not. I wouldn't be surprised if there is aftermarket for them though. A little small for 1/24 but probably would pass the scrutiny of most.

• 4 weeks later...

Related.. yet unrelated...   Franklin O-200 air cooled flat 4.....anyone ever see one of these kitted in 1/24? or something close?

Franklin_O-200.jpg.e36ae083abad5794a561f623fd86f0ce.jpg

Looking for one of these for an upcoming project... figure I most likely will end up scratch building it...

1 hour ago, Impalow said:

Related.. yet unrelated...   Franklin O-200 air cooled flat 4.....anyone ever see one of these kitted in 1/24? or something close?

Looking for one of these for an upcoming project... figure I most likely will end up scratch building it...

Maybe one of the Revell or Academy 1/32-1/35 H-13 kits?

I'm not sure which engine they have in the kit or the quality but the Bell 47 / H-13 used a variety of 4 and 6 cylinder Franklin and Lycoming engines generally in the 335-435 cid range.

The most common kits are later H-13H models which would have had a 6 cylinder Lycoming VO-435. There are some boxed as the earlier H-13D model which should have a 6 cylinder Franklin O-335, but I don't know if they are really different or just the same kit re-boxed.

When you factor in the scale difference it might get you close enough for a decent starting point. I've seen some of these kits built with detailed engines, but not sure how much work was required from the builder to get there.

On 4/11/2018 at 4:19 PM, Impalow said:

Would a Corvair engine be a good starting point? (Yes, I know you'd have to cut two cylinders off it.) 

28 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Would a Corvair engine be a good starting point? (Yes, I know you'd have to cut two cylinders off it.) 

Size matters here.

The 200 Franklin is 200 cubic inches. The biggest Corvair is only 164 cubes.

Cut two jugs off it, it would only be 108 cu.in, and it would look tiny compared to the 4-cylinder Franklin.

NOTE: The Porsche-powered Mooneys weren't that great 'cause the relatively small, high-revving engine required a reduction gearbox to spin a conventional prop big enough to drag a fairly large airplane around. High revs wear any engine out sooner, and the reduction box added weight that negated the Porsche engine's lightness.

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

10 hours ago, Snake45 said:

I was actually thinking that at first.... if I can procure some nice finned jugs of the right size, the rest doesn't seem to challenging to scratchbuild.... 

10 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Size matters here.

The 200 Franklin is 200 cubic inches. The biggest Corvair is only 164 cubes.

Cut two jugs off it, it would only be 108 cu.in, and it would look tiny compared to the 4-cylinder Franklin.

NOTE: The Porsche-powered Mooneys weren't that great 'cause the relatively small, high-revving engine required a reduction gearbox to spin a conventional prop big enough to drag a fairly large airplane around. High revs wear any engine out sooner, and the reduction box added weight that negated the Porsche engine's lightness.

Yeah.. I pulled out one of my parts pack engines over the weekend... and it seemed a bit small...  I'm thinking this may be a 3d model and Shapeways print situation.... which will still be fun.    I also am not sure how much of the engine will really be visible in the final vehicle, I can probably cut a few corners...  mainly want the upper cover and valve train covers.... 

Sorry for the sporadic thoughts...I'm kind of thinking out loud.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...

If your into turbo prop jet engines from a helicopter try this:

Nichimo 1:20 Scale Hughes H-500

hughs500.jpg.28053b50464a70053616d316ff7dc040.jpg

Monogram 1/24 Bell 'Huey' engine

monohuey.jpg.5749589a09b79f5c803c480355ad0162.jpg

If you are really 'radical' The Napier Sabre 24 cylinder engine from the Airfix 1/24 Typhoon

A19002_Typhoon_Step67.jpg.cda2e493196b1cbb84ce630e03dc2658.jpg

greg

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Interesting thread, there is also the old Red Baron by Monogram.  Personally I am looking for a 1/24 scale GE J79 afterburner exhaust for a proposed Spirit of America Sonic 1. I've seen some really detailed F104 afterburners 3D printed in 1/32 or 48th but get no reply  to inquiries. Hang in there. Pic for those Allison fans.

Quad Allison.jpg

3 hours ago, Big John said:

...there is also the old Red Baron by Monogram ...

Somebody with better memory than me might be able to chime in on this, but I know I read somewhere that while the Red Baron kit is 1:24 scale, the World War I Mercedes-Benz aircraft engine in it is actually significantly undersized in relation to what a 24th scale replica would be.

On 3/10/2018 at 7:49 PM, Matt Bacon said:

The Meteor is a Merlin adapted for powering tanks... ie only at ground level. Most “Merlin” powered mad cars you hear about are actually Meteors..

Though come to think of it, a two stage Merlin would have made for a heck of a Pike’s Peak contender, if you could carry enough fuel!

best,

M.