Model Cars Magazine Forum

Bucky Hess 68 Hemi Super Stock Cuda

1320wayne

Finally finished another project. Bucky Hess 68 Hemi Super Stock Cuda using an AMT/MPC 69 kit with a 68 resin conversion kit. The chassis is a tubbed resin piece with the front suspension from a Lindberg 64 Dodge. Interior has a scratchbuilt rollcage, parts box seat, photo etch 5 point harness and 3d printed shifter. Engine is a fully detailed combination of kit based and resin pieces. Headers are scratched from solder and aluminum tubing. Driveshaft is also aluminum tubing. Rear suspension is a mixture of resin pieces. Front and rear wheels are also resin and painted with a Molotow chrome pen. The decals are a mixture of homemade and Slixx. It's not my greatest work in recent years but still looks good sitting on the shelf. 

2018031010_10_14-vi.jpg

2018031010_09_52-vi.jpg

2018031010_09_32-vi.jpg

2018031010_09_11-vi.jpg

2018031010_08_50-vi.jpg

2018031010_08_30-vi.jpg

2018031010_08_10-vi.jpg

2018031010_07_49-vi.jpg

2018031010_07_28-vi.jpg

2018031010_07_08-vi.jpg

Edited by 1320wayne

Very nice model.
I hate to be picky but Holley 4500 Dominators are not allowed in Superstock, the 68 Hemi Barracuda and Dart had 2 Holley 4160 style 770 cfm carburetors and I think you have to use the OEM style carbs and intake manifold configuration in SS/AH.

Edited by Force

18 hours ago, Force said:

Very nice model.
I hate to be picky but Holley 4500 Dominators are not allowed in Superstock, the 68 Hemi Barracuda and Dart had 2 Holley 4160 style 770 cfm carburetors and I think you have to use the OEM style carbs and intake manifold configuration in SS/AH.

I'm aware of the carbs inaccuracy. Most of the modern era teams are running Holley 4236 carbs today but there are no good representatives in 1/25 scale that I could find so I went with what I thought looked better even though not correct. The intake rule was changed over 10 years ago allowing these teams to run their own hand fabricated intakes. 

12 hours ago, 1320wayne said:

I'm aware of the carbs inaccuracy. Most of the modern era teams are running Holley 4236 carbs today but there are no good representatives in 1/25 scale that I could find so I went with what I thought looked better even though not correct. The intake rule was changed over 10 years ago allowing these teams to run their own hand fabricated intakes. 

Well it's only a model so it really doesn't matter, but if you want to do it correct by the book it does.
Have you looked at Fireball Modelworks carburetors, they are great, the FMR-091 RESIN HOLLEY 3116 CARBS (TWO PAIRS), 1/25 are perfect for this, he calls them 3116 and they are correct 4160 style carburetors for the 64-65 Race Hemi and 68 Superstock Hemi application and lots of others too.

For the intake manifold, yes you can have hand made sheet metal intake manifolds built but the manifolds have to follow the OEM configuration, if the car originally has inline carbs they still have to be inline, and if it has cross ram it still has to be cross ram according to my NHRA rule book, so for a cross ram only 2 ports ports in each carburetor can be in line, the other ports can't be, and the 68 Hemi Barracuda and 68 Hemi Dart was not available with anything else than cross ram.

Here is a relatively modern 68 Barracuda owned by a friend of mine, the engine is built by Joe Allread and was raced by Rick Houser and owned by Jim DeFrank, after Joe died Jim DeFrank quit racing Hemi's and sold all Hemi stuff except the car itself to my friend, he owns Hemi One and Hemi Three and this is Hemi Three.

IMG_0284.thumb.JPG.0fe818644e5378247c7fa7081f14bd16.JPG 

Edited by Force

11 hours ago, Force said:

Well it's only a model so it really doesn't matter, but if you want to do it correct by the book it does.
Have you looked at Fireball Modelworks carburetors, they are great, the FMR-091 RESIN HOLLEY 3116 CARBS (TWO PAIRS), 1/25 are perfect for this, he calls them 3116 and they are correct 4160 style carburetors for the 64-65 Race Hemi and 68 Superstock Hemi application and lots of others too.

For the intake manifold, yes you can have hand made sheet metal intake manifolds built but the manifolds have to follow the OEM configuration, if the car originally has inline carbs they still have to be inline, and if it has cross ram it still has to be cross ram according to my NHRA rule book, so for a cross ram only 2 ports ports in each carburetor can be in line, the other ports can't be, and the 68 Hemi Barracuda and 68 Hemi Dart was not available with anything else than cross ram.

Here is a relatively modern 68 Barracuda owned by a friend of mine, the engine is built by Joe Allread and was raced by Rick Houser and owned by Jim DeFrank, after Joe died Jim DeFrank quit racing Hemi's and sold all Hemi stuff except the car itself to my friend, he owns Hemi One and Hemi Three and this is Hemi Three.

Thanks for the technical data. I always want my builds to be as accurate as possible, if possible and this information helps for the future. After reading your response I went back and looked at the library of research photos of modern super stock hemi engines and noticed the slight offset on all the carb setups that I never saw before. And, since I have at least 10 more of these Darts and Cudas to build I will look into what Fireball offers for more accurate carbs. Thanks.

11 hours ago, Force said:

Cool,

I call shotgun

16 hours ago, 1320wayne said:

Thanks for the technical data. I always want my builds to be as accurate as possible, if possible and this information helps for the future. After reading your response I went back and looked at the library of research photos of modern super stock hemi engines and noticed the slight offset on all the carb setups that I never saw before. And, since I have at least 10 more of these Darts and Cudas to build I will look into what Fireball offers for more accurate carbs. Thanks.

As my friend has a SS/AH car I have picked up a thing or two from him, his car is one of only four SS/AH cars in Europe, there are two here in Sweden and two in Finland.
You should check out the Fireball carbs, I have bought several of his carbs and they are really great.

15 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

Just curious,

Whats the purpose or advantage of running the dist off the pulleys instead of the normal Mopar

You get a steadier timing as it's driven directly from the timing drive instead of from the camshaft as original, the camshaft can torsionally flex under heavy load and high valve spring pressures and that can cause a variable timing.

Edited by Force

12 hours ago, Force said:

As my friend has a SS/AH car I have picked up a thing or two from him, his car is one of only four SS/AH cars in Europe, there are two here in Sweden and two in Finland.
You should check out the Fireball carbs, I have bought several of his carbs and they are really great.

Ordered a few sets last night. Thanks.