Model Cars Magazine Forum

unauthorized credit card sales

Cedward

Reminds me of a few years ago, when they sent something out to subscribers (hat pin?) and tried billing everyone for it later.  Nobody had to pay for whatever it was, because it had been sent without approval or authorization.  Maybe they're in a financial bind again?

It's a shame that what was once Petersen Publications, the gold standard of enthusiast magazines, and the originator of Hot Rod as well as many other titles including Car Craft and Motor Trend, has sunk to lowlife billing tactics.

Robert E. Petersen, who started Hot Rod himself on a shoestring in 1947, sold out in 1996. Since then, apparently 'unethical slimeball' has been adopted as the new business model.

"In 1996, Petersen sold his company Petersen Publishing Company to a private equity fund for $450 million which, in 1999, sold it for $2 billion to publisher EMAP. In 2001 it was sold to Primedia. In 2007 Primedia's enthusiast publications, including all the once-Petersen titles, were again sold to Source Interlink, controlled by Ron Burkle."  *

*source for quotation above:  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Robert_E._Petersen

Petersen was an example of American entrepreneurship at its finest.

https://books.google.com/books?id=ae7nAAAAIAAJ&pg=PA218&lpg=PA218&dq=car+and+driver+petersen+publications&source=bl&ots=P-lNHSGrLg&sig=yuWzPsQVQJVQWxMvppykjV7HE60&hl=en&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjuptHDxuTZAhWK2VMKHTgtDa8Q6AEIeTAH#v=onepage&q=car and driver petersen publications&f=false

Edited by Ace-Garageguy

When buying anything online, you need to go slow and look at what is on the screen. Need to read the "fine print" and make sure there are not any boxes checked that should not be checked. Online merchants can automatically check boxes to sign you up, for who knows what, and it is your responsibility to opt-out before you click the last purchase button.

• Cedward changed the title to unauthorized credit card sales
5 hours ago, Xingu said:

When buying anything online, you need to go slow and look at what is on the screen. Need to read the "fine print" and make sure there are not any boxes checked that should not be checked. Online merchants can automatically check boxes to sign you up, for who knows what, and it is your responsibility to opt-out before you click the last purchase button.

At 78 I am still learning ,but its hurts when it cost me money!

On 3/10/2018 at 9:41 PM, Cedward said:

I renewed my subscription to hot rod deluxe with a debit card & was also charged for a subscription to hot rod mag & motor trend on line without my permission. My bank came to my rescue .  

Assuming you did not leave boxes checked, the practice of selling items to you that you did not want is illegal in a lot of states.  If you of a mind to, you can file a complaint with your state's Attorney General's office and ask them to investigate.