Model Cars Magazine Forum

Miami Vice "Daytona"

Jonathan

My Brother-in-Law gave me this kit for Christmas.  So far, it's coming along nicely.  The wheels in this kit, I think, are pretty nice.  As most of you know, it's a model of the TV car, which was in itself a clone of the Daytona running on (I think) a Corvette C3 chassis.  The kit reflects that with it's Chevy engine and chassis.  Still, a fun kit.

Needs polishing, small details, etc.  I think I'm going to go with the top down.  Anywho, thanks for looking!IMG_1794.thumb.jpg.613749138e40052a81396b9f5cb1b5a6.jpg

IMG_1788.thumb.jpg.cff90504661e8537c9c51604d6217353.jpg

IMG_1792.thumb.jpg.64624adddab3891989ff42ed71afded7.jpg

Very nice build! I’m almost done this same kit but... I built it exactly the way you see it on the MV show which is a McBurnie Daytona. Fender flares, Corvette interior, Borrani wire wheels, cut out headlights so they have the correct bucket look. Be on the lookout for this build here & Under the Glass. Again, nice clean work!

Those wheels look decent!  Look forward to seeing it completed!

I've always wondered if Ferrari, knowing they do not like reproductions, sued to get that destroyed, so they made it part of a plot.  That was a great episode, when Sonny got the drug dealer's Testarossa at the end.

Thanks!  I'm getting close to finishing.  I did have to cut the front bumper into three pieces in order to make it fit.  Otherwise, it's been fairly smooth sailing.  Keeping in mind that it's an older kit, it's been fun to build.   Hopefully, I'll get some more pictures up soon!

Well, I may be nearing the completion of this build.   Still need to attach the mirrors and (hopefully), paint the black "rubber" trim on the bumperettes, and do a final bit of polishing.  I'm a little mixed on my thoughts about the wing windows (whatever they would be called).  I considered mounting them as if they would be opened a bit.  I was thinking of painting the top to match the interior, but settled on black.  It's a kit of a kit-car, so I figure anything goes. 

That said, I have a lot of respect for guys like Jay who actually build the kit to look like a specific McBurnie car from the show.  Hat tip

mvdaytona-1_orig.jpg

mvdaytona-3_orig.jpg

mvdaytona-4_orig.jpg

Those were some really nice molded wire wheels!! who says you cant get realistic ones unless you thread them yourself, or use photo-etch( whats realistic about flat metal spokes?....NOTHING. I don't care how many times you "layer" them)...Anyway,  GREAT job on this kit!!! its actually a really decent kit.