[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Greg Myers

Toyota in NASCAR. Toyota NASCAR in plastic ?

Recommended Posts

Do  any of the Japanese kit makers offer NASCAR ( Toyota ) kits ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Revell wanted to do the current Toyota Cup Camry, Toyota would not grant Revell the rights and permission, Toyota will only allow a Japanese model kit company the rights.

There are few resin options right now,

Starting with this

http://stores.smhracing.com/2017-18-camry-nose-hood-conversion/

Or this

http://stores.smhracing.com/2018-camry-nascar/

And coming soon from here, a Mike's Decals Resin Camry body

https://www.mikesdecals.com/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

Revell wanted to do the current Toyota Cup Camry, Toyota would not grant Revell the rights and permission, Toyota will only allow a Japanese model kit company the rights.

There are few resin options right now,

Starting with this

http://stores.smhracing.com/2017-18-camry-nose-hood-conversion/

Or this

http://stores.smhracing.com/2018-camry-nascar/

And coming soon from here, a Mike's Decals Resin Camry body

https://www.mikesdecals.com/

Maybe if some of us build some resin Toyotas, it will spur some interest in the Japanese companies,  to offer a plastic kit. I thought the camry was built in the u. s.  I guess that has no bearing on corporate Toyota  and their decisions on granting permission.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The Japanese tend to favor their own and if we were to ever see a NASCAR kit, it would either be from Japan or in collaboration with a US kit company. The Camry has the highest domestic content of any car sold in the US, and most of it's components come from Japanese companies' US factories.

The company I work for is partially owned by Toyota and we sponsor Brett Moffitt in the NCWTS as his team runs a Tundra and is owned by a Japanese businessman, thus the favoritism. There are other examples of where a Japanese company is involved in motorsports due to either a driver or owner being Japanese. They are proud of their countrymen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You would think they would want to create good will with people in this country who would like to build a Toyota nascar model. That person might actually buy a real Toyota in the future.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont understand Toyota's philosophy on this subject either. I get wanting their products produced by a Japanese company, however the Camry is built in the US to target sales in the US (Canada too) not in Japan. Since NASCAR is also an American product,  targeted at the American economy it makes no sense to me from blocking Revell from producing the Camry NASCAR kit. 

Also, they've given Revell the rights to produce the FnF Supra already, so why the hold up with the NASCAR kit. TBH they're just cutting their noses off in spite of their own face. If it was a Le Mans prototype or a JGTC car I'd completely understand wanting Tamiya to do the kit, but outside of NA, NASCAR is nowhere near as popular as other forms of racing. Please someone have an in with someone at Toyota that can let them know its time to let this go and give people what they want. 

Edited by Jhedir6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Japanese companies are very incestuous.  There are a few exceptions, but they tend to only want to do business with other Japanese companies.  They have always been this way and likely always will be.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Jim N said:

Japanese companies are very incestuous.  There are a few exceptions, but they tend to only want to do business with other Japanese companies.  They have always been this way and likely always will be.

Very accurate statement, and I will leave it there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Jhedir6 said:

I dont understand Toyota's philosophy on this subject either. I get wanting their products produced by a Japanese company, however the Camry is built in the US to target sales in the US (Canada too) not in Japan. Since NASCAR is also an American product,  targeted at the American economy it makes no sense to me from blocking Revell from producing the Camry NASCAR kit. 

Also, they've given Revell the rights to produce the FnF Supra already, so why the hold up with the NASCAR kit. 

That was a diecast about 15 years ago; no correlation to current product licensing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

That was a diecast about 15 years ago; no correlation to current product licensing. 

My mistake, it was the AMT Supra I was thinking of, the orange one from FnF series. For some reason I thought Revell had done it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

My mistake, it was the AMT Supra I was thinking of, the orange one from FnF series. For some reason I thought Revell had done it.

Yes, RC2/AMT did the kit, IIRC Revell did a die cast one.  

Edited by Rob Hall

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Rob Hall said:

Yes, RC2/AMT did the kit, IIRC Revell did a die cast one.  

That might be why I was confusing the two then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tamiya does a Supra too so they already had Japanese licensing so selling the same car to AMT was not undercutting the home market.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now