Model Cars Magazine Forum

Good Old Days at the gas pump

Greetings lads & lassies,

######'n Blaque here postin up some pix for Eshaver. Here's a couple cool old timey gas pumps he made. The one is just a 5 gallon pumper--shoot, tha's only about $20? aint hardly worth the drive off :lol:

efpumpand1925Beacon5gallonpump-vi.jpg

fer more ifno on these here, ask Eshaver. I'm also posting pics of a way cool old timey

Pure Oil gas station diorama he built in the 'Dioramas' forum. 1920's era I believe. I remember pumpin Amoco gas at 29.9 back in 1970---can't even imagine what it was fitty years before that :lol:

:lol: Ed, them are some awful neet lookin gas pumps!What scale are they? Too bad we can't buy the real stuff for the prices that they sold for back then!They was havein a gas war here when I graduated in 70, and I filled my Novas gas tank at 18.9 cents per. It only cost me 3.80 to fill the tank! :lol:

The earliest gas price I can remember was around 29.9, back in the 70s.

And in those days THEY pumped your gas for you, AND gave you a nice set of dishes, or glasses, or whatever on top of it. And they offered to check the oil and tires. Low prices, great service...and somehow the oil companies did just fine.

Boy, how things have changed. :lol:

Georgge , Harry, John, The pumps are all 1-24th scale. First a little history on the red pump or the 5 gallon Beacon manufactured pump. Beacon manufacturing or known as the Beacon Visible Pump company was founded in Louisville Kentucky. In Jack Sim's book ,Illustrated Guide to Gas Pumps, (copy righted 2002 ) he states that the company probably didn't produce it's first model until 1922. Now prior to 1922, Beacon Visible was selling pumps for a competitor, Western Pumps of Saint Louis Mo. The book further states that Beacon Visible went out of business in 1927. There was also a Beacon Equipment co. in Hamilton Ohio these were two different companies. The globe on top is a White Eagle Oil company globe. White Eagle became a subsidiary of Vacum oil which marketed Mobil Products in the day. To further explain the "Globe" , it is a carved Bondo piece that is a representative of a "Blunt-Nose " White eagle. There were two versions of the "Molded " White Eagle Globes. First there were the "Blunt Nose". They came out in 1924 and were made until 1932 . The second version was the "SLIT-THROAT' version , they came out in 1924 and were made until 1932. Then there were some "refined " one piece White Eagles, they are referred to as the Pointed nose Eagles. They're very rare as they were only manufactured between 1930 and 1932. Expect the prices to run anywhere between $800.00- 2500.00 for a White Eagle globe today. The other pump is far more common. It is a model of a Tokiem Model-#620 " Taper-Shell" ten gallon dispenser with no extras . Yes gasoline pumps had optional parts avalible. Tokiem built this peticular pump between 1927- 1940. Meanwhile the VERY RARE FIRE CHIEF ONE PIECE GLOBE WAS ONLY USED IN 1932. These exceptional globes were used to advertise the new Ethyl-Grade Fire Chief Premium gasoline for 1932. Now years later Texaco would re brand their Premium fuel Sky Chief after W W 2. The last time I heard of one of these globes for sale, it went for around 5000.00 dollars and that folks was 1983. Ya'all might Google Jeff Spainer in Oaklahoma city, he was at the auction then. Now if there are any other questons concerning gasoline pumps, Ill be happy to answer each and every one of them. SEE YA ON THE ROAD FOLKS!!!!!!!!!! Ed Shaver

Great job Ed! I love gas stations and first starting working in one when I was 10 and owned my first station at the age of 15! I sure miss those good ol' days...I remember gas was 65 cents in '74 or so and real gas stations offered full service only!

I'am working on 2 gas station dioramas ( early '70s) now.

Fantastic work on the gas pumps! ;)

~ Jeff

Guest zebm1

When I started driving @16, $1.00 would buy 4 gallons of gas and I'd get 4 cents change back. 23.9 cents/gal...enough spare change to go to Clearwater Beach and oogle tha chicks in bikinis...... ;):D in my D/gas street racer.....'55 Chubby with a '57 301 fuelie motor, 3/4 race solid lifter cam and a Gawdawful huge Holley 4 bbl carbenator an 4:11 gear.....oh yeah, that was for Sunoco 260 gas.......racing fuel. Regular gas was..like 18.9 cents ;)

Maybe I should build me some models of mah cars I never photographed.....hmmmmm

Edited by zebm1

As the song goes, "Those were the days, my friend, I thought they'd never end". When I started driving in 1971 I was paying 23.9 for 100 octane premium. When gas started going up in 1973 I swore I'd quit driving if prices ever went over 60 cents a gallon, thinking they could never go that high. I'd be happy with $3.00 a gallon now. ;)

Back in the early 60's in Southern California, they were always having gas wars, from station to station.

"62-'64 when I was in college you could fill your tank for $2.50 or less. $.12 to $.15 cents a gallon, and drive all week.

In the very late 60's though, things changed down there, and Gas became scarce and there were gas lines and rationing , and odd and even days when you could buy gas.

There were long lines at all the pumps, and the stations would run out of gas when there was long lines, and there were a lot of angry people and fist fights when the out of gas sign would come out. :unsure:

Glad those days are gone, and at least I can still buy gas.

Thats a good one Zeb! I can't remember if thats the same Boone guy thats now pushing for windmill power? Y'all see those TV ads lately? Some rich oil guy is now wanting us to spend billions for windmills and Gore supports the idea too. Seems kinda weird for a guy that got rich off of oil to be pushing for green power windmills huh? I wonder if theres $omething in that for him.... <_<

~ Jeff

Guest zebm1

Yuppers, it's tha same guy, T. Boone Pickens, and yah....he's put together a company out in tha Texass Panhandle that IS going to build a Windfarm that is projected to put out 4,000 megawatts of electricity by 2011, to wit, lifted from

http://www.boonepickens.com/helping/default.asp

"Further, since a booming Texas population is demanding that the state find some far-reaching power and water demand solutions, in August 2007 a Pickens-led coalition of Texas Panhandle landowners filed documents with a state agency that details plan for the world's largest wind farm, projected for completion in late 2011. The project will add 4,000 megawatts of wind-generated electricity to the power grid in Texas."

Boone also has a "Better Idea" for getting us out from under "Big Oil" and their political Lackeys......

"While chairman of the National Natural Gas Vehicle Coalition for almost three years, Pickens traveled the country advocating the merits of natural gas. When he left Mesa Petroleum and its management wanted to divest of the natural gas fueling concerns, he purchased them and in 1997 formed Pickens Fuel Corp. He touted natural gas as the best alternative vehicular fuel because it’s a domestic resource that reduces our foreign oil consumption, and enhances America’s energy security; clean (NGV vehicles emit up to 95 percent less pollution than gasoline or diesel vehicles); less expensive than petroleum and hydrogen; and safe (lighter-than-air compressed natural gas is nontoxic and disperses quickly, and has a higher ignition temperature than gasoline and diesel fuel, which reduces the chances of accidental ignition)."

Further, as a measure of his success --

"Reincorporated as Clean Energy in 2001 and taken public in 2007, the company is the largest provider of vehicular natural gas (CNG and LNG) in North America with a broad customer base in the refuse, transit, shuttle, taxi, intrastate and interstate trucking, airport and municipal fleet markets. Tens of thousands of vehicles fuel at strategic locations in the United States and Canada. Customers include Los Angeles International Airport, Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport, SuperShuttle, Foothill Transit, Waste Management, Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport, SYSCO Foods, Ft. Worth Transportation Agency, Denver International Airport, Denver RTD, MTDB of San Diego and the US Navy."

And finally, if yall realy want to know what Mr. Pickens Plan is, go to the website I listed above, scroll down to the "Pickens Plan", this is the only guy I've found that has a Plan that will really work.....Check It Out. :angry:

Edited by zebm1