Model Cars Magazine Forum

1957 Chevy Cameo - "Foosified and Flintstoned"

When Revell issued the "Foose F150 Pick'em Up Truck" I got to thinking'...that 1957 Chevy Cameo sitting in my cabinet for who knows how long needs some new shoes.!

So I picked up the Foose F150 at the Local Hobby Shop (yep we got one in Hollister). Not stopping there after a little browse thru Jimmy Flintstones Web Page I found and purchased a chopped '57 Chevy Pick up Cab.

I used the chassis, drivetrain, seat (narrowed to fit Chevy cab), wheels and tires from the Foose kit. 

Found a soft rear bed tonneau cover in my spare parts box (quartered it to fit the cameo bed).

Chassis needed to be lengthened by 1/8" and both axles narrowed by 1/4", plus added a front bed support to the chassis.

Paint is Spaz Stix Candy Apple Green(1)/Candy Yellow(1) and Rustoleum Metallic Black. Both were air brushed and then buried in multiple coats of Testors UltraGloss Clearcoat.

Ran some 1/64" chrome tape between the two colors to give it a little "pop".

The most challenging part of the build was grinding the normal sized glass (front/rear) to fit the chopped cab from Jimmy Flintstone.

DSC_7350-vi.jpg

DSC_7345-vi.jpg

DSC_7346-vi.jpg

DSC_7347-vi.jpg

DSC_7349-vi.jpg

I had initially built the truck without the visor, but I'm glad I added it after these photos were taken.

I used the decal from "Firebird Design" for the truck bed.

DSC_7322-vi.jpg

DSC_7324-vi.jpg

DSC_7323-vi.jpg

DSC_7326-vi.jpg

foosecameo-vi.jpg

thanx for lookin'

Edited by curt raitz

14 hours ago, majel said:

Beautiful truck, I've always loved the Cameo.  Very unique color combination, but they work well together.  Do you still have a model contest going up north?  (I'm in Oceano)

Thanx and yes we will be having a NNL type model car show in September.

FirstNNLHollister-vi.jpg

Great Model!  I built the Foose Ford and thought the chassis was pretty nice.  So I recently bought another kit with the thoughts of using the chassis under another body, and I do have my '55-57 Chevy pickup box on my work bench!   So thanks for showing how it fits.

• 2 weeks later...