Model Cars Magazine Forum

'32 Sedan Delivery Newstalgia Hot Rod: Updated 3/18/18

Dennis Lacy

4 hours ago, Rocking Rodney Rat said:

Any updates, ADL??? -RRR

No bench time today. Had to go to work this morning to have a progress show & tell with the Woody owner, came home and did front yard work while we had a break in rain (starting to look a little WT) and finished just in time to host my Sister In-Law's birthday dinner. 

Bench time definitely planned for tomorrow.  Gonna try and finish the engine set up and fit it to the frame.

UPDATE!

Didn't have a ton of time over the weekend so I did what I could.

Taking a step back, this is how I adapted the wheels to the axles. I circumcised the tip of the axle and inserted a length of .060" rod. The rod is also an exact fit through the center holes in the Revell '29 & '30 Ford kit finned brake drums that I'm using. The rear is the same procedure. 

DSCN5956-vi.jpg

And, as luck would have it the center holes of the Revell '40 & '48 Ford brake plates are the exact right size to fit over the large shoulder on the axle making them a direct fit. The rear is similar but requires filing a flat spot on the bottom of the larger shoulder making it a "D" shape.

DSCN5958-vi.jpg

Today I roughed-in the front motor mount brackets on the frame. They were made from .040" sheet and 3/32" tube for the round "cushions". I still need to clean them up a little and add triangle gussets to the bottoms. As luck would have it they ended up right in front of the steering box so I didn't have to relocate it. I did pin the steering box to the frame rail so it would stay in place.

DSCN5954-vi.jpg

2v2JfzJogxK4GA4.jpgHosted on Fotki

Mock ups! For the previous version of the project I had stripped all of the chassis chrome and was gonna go with the monochromatic look. I decided to start over fresh with chrome parts and also decided to ditch the modern 4-link bars for the retro hairpin bars. The axle mounting tab on top of the spring got the tried and true Tim Boyd modification to lower the front and the ends of the hairpins were drilled, had pins inserted and attach directly to the side of the frame rails. I also stuck the custom grill insert in from the AMT / Lindberg '34 Pickup to see how it would look.

DSCN5946-vi.jpg

DSCN5947-vi.jpg

DSCN5948-vi.jpg

DSCN5949-vi.jpg

DSCN5950-vi.jpg

DSCN5952-vi.jpg

Comments and opinions welcome!

Nice update! I approve of the chrome, haha. 

You've got a bit of a downward slope on the hood; the grille probably needs to come up just a tad. I kinda dig the grille insert; it's looking very show n' go, but I can't help but wonder if maybe a stock-ish grille would let the engine strut its stuff without distraction. How about blacking it out, but leaving a chrome bead around the perimeter and maybe a chrome bar in the center, like the Hollenbeck '32?

I don't know if you're into Alclad or Molotow, but with the level of bling going on here, might as well chrome the drums too!!

004-grand-national-roadster-show-1932-fo1931_ford_model_a_2016hroty_01-800x533.jpg

9 hours ago, Spex84 said:

Nice update! I approve of the chrome, haha. 

You've got a bit of a downward slope on the hood...

I did notice that. It's especially obvious in these new pics. It's weird because it's the same grill shell from the previous version. The bottom edge that sits on the frame has been slightly trimmed because I slightly trimmed the firewall feet to drop the cowl and everything used to line up. The factors that changed is I replaced the hood top and frame. Looks like I'll need to replace the shell with one that isn't trimmed, or trim the firewall feet a little more. Either way, it will get corrected.

I do really like the added center trim to the grill insert on the Hollenbeck AMBR car. (Truly beautiful car in person by the way!) I'll give that some thought.

You have a great eye Dennis and have forgotten more about hot rods than I'll ever know but I'm with RRR.  I think the rear wheels take away from an otherwise great build. 

Edited by afx

So is it the big center plate/cap on the rear wheels that's buggin' you guys? Maybe some kind of smaller add-on center cap detail could fix that. Funny, it only bothers me when I focus directly on it, otherwise I like the look.