Model Cars Magazine Forum

What's the One Part You Hoard?

A post regarding clear headlight lenses got me thinking about a specific type of part which everybody seems to need, but nobody wants to give up. I'll admit I hoard nicely molded, clear headlight lenses as they're rarely easy to find, difficult to make, and easily lost. When you find nice ones, you keep 'em. ^_^

1 hour ago, Ramfins59 said:

Mirrors, antennas, wipers, door handles, dummy spotlights, headlight lenses, red taillights, whitewall tires, chrome reversed wheels, spinner hubcaps...... Just to name a few...:rolleyes:

I'm gonna second this .......

1 hour ago, espo said:

I'm a hoarder and I throw away nothing. I have used parts that I have sometimes had for years, as soon as you throw anything away you're going to need it.   

I’m the same way. I don’t even throw away the parts trees.

2 hours ago, espo said:

I'm a hoarder and I throw away nothing. I have used parts that I have sometimes had for years, as soon as you throw anything away you're going to need it.   

Yup. Back in the late 1960s, I got a bunch of special tools for flathead engines in with a lot of other stuff. Nobody wanted anything to do with flatheads. They were considered boat anchors, and hundreds of tons of them, quite literally, were sold for scrap.

Fast forward to 2011. I went to work with a shop that built "traditional" rods, many of them flathead powered. I still had all the tools (and hadn't lost them the two times my shops were robbed, because they lived in cardboard boxes and not the big shiny red ones). B)

14 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

.......because they lived in cardboard boxes and not the big shiny red ones)

Hey Bill.....I wonder if that tactic would work with my hard earned money! .....& my wife???:lol:

American Torq-Thrusts. Keystone Klassic Kustomags. Thin Cragars (deep ones are common). Good open steel wheels. And good big and little (especially big) tires to fit them all. 

Hilborn injection for small block Chevy. The tubes in the AMT '55 Nomad are so long you can cut them into two sets, and use the extras on the tube-less intakes in the Double Dragster. 

Good headers for almost any V8, though they're a lot more common now than they used to be back in the '60s. 

Original AMT annual '63-'67 Corvette parts, stock or custom. Especially the hard tops in the '65-'67 roadsters. And I have two of the panel truck tops I have plans for. 

Like others, wheels and tires and for some reason, they are also what I tend to order from resin casters!

I also have about a dozen of the snow plows from Revell's GMC pickup kit. I plan to install them on various other trucks in due time. I probably would have been better off learning how to resin cast them but figured I could trade the trucks (which I did!) and use the plows.

I have also "collected" about 8 or 9 of the MPC Deserter pickup kits to use as donors for 4wd conversions of other trucks.