Model Cars Magazine Forum

Callaway Corvette

On March 13, 2018 at 5:48 AM, Psychographic said:

It's pretty ugly if you ask me, but then again I think aerodynamics make most cars ugly.

It's getting to where the old farts (like me) think today's cars are ugly.  But on the other hand, I think it's brutally cool looking.  The McLaren Senna also falls into the love/hate category.

20 minutes ago, 89AKurt said:

It's getting to where the old farts (like me) think today's cars are ugly.  But on the other hand, I think it's brutally cool looking.  The McLaren Senna also falls into the love/hate category.

I agree. It does look mean and like it means business but it is just too cartoonish. The body lines are too exaggerated.

I prefer more elegant lines. Something that looks fast and still pleasing to the eye. Something like this car from the '60s.

799px-1967_Maserati_Ghibli_ORC3.jpg

Heck I'll even take a Lambo Countach from the same era.

17 minutes ago, peteski said:

... I prefer more elegant lines. Something that looks fast and still pleasing to the eye. ...

Heck I'll even take a Lambo Countach from the same era.

We think alike!  Twist my arm for any of the red ones here.

6866875334_9be6e948ef_k.jpg

Don't get me wrong, I'm not an old fuddy duddy (I'm just old!) who thinks anything modern sucks. I love the new Corvette, it's that widebody kit that doesn't look like it was designed for the Vette. It doesn't do anything to follow the lines of it or enhance the looks, but I'm sure it is very aerodynamic. The back half of the wheel arches ruin the look of the car. This is why I said aero makes just about any new race car ugly to me.

Edited by Psychographic

While I appreciate the majority of current race cars, the term that comes up most is the "brutalism" of them.  I so much prefer the smooth and organic lines of the 50's and 60's cars.   I'll even go so far as to say I like the lines of the Ferrari F40 (Enzo's last effort) far more than the F50 and follow-ons.  Yes, I am old.  And yes, I'd buy a kit of the Callaway (most likely it will be a resin conversion when/if offered).  It will go with my C5R/C6R/C7R kits along with my upcoming purchase of the Ford GT Le Mans edition when it comes out.