Model Cars Magazine Forum

68 Olds 442 promo makeover

pack rat

Another one finished.

I picked up this damaged promo a few years ago.  If you don't mind simple curbside builds these things are a great way to fill holes in the collection without breaking the bank. 

This one had damage to the roof and drip rails on both sides.  After performing the required body work, I modified the chassis to improve the stance, swapped the skinny tires for some old AMT Polyglas, then the rest was just painting/detailing.        

z1Johan 68 Olds 442 aqua.JPG

z2DSCN4479.JPG

z3DSCN4480.JPG

z4DSCN4980.JPG

z5DSCN4981.JPG

z6DSCN4986.JPG

z7DSCN4988.JPG

7 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

It's missing one thing that sets the '68 apart though.

The iconic vertical fender stripe!! ;)

Steve

I tossed the idea around, but I really think the car looks much better without it.

I have another light blue one on the to-do pile that will get black stripes to match a 1:1 that I remember admiring years ago....if I ever get around to it.  

5 hours ago, pack rat said:

I tossed the idea around, but I really think the car looks much better without it.

I have another light blue one on the to-do pile that will get black stripes to match a 1:1 that I remember admiring years ago....if I ever get around to it.  

To each his own I guess.

The '68 looks too much like the '69 without the stripe in my opinion, & the '69 is just generally a better looking car to my eye, so if I had a choice between a '68 without the stripe & a '69, I'd take the '69.

That stripe is one of the bolder design cues that Olds did on the 442's, & it's very different.

That's probably why I really like the stripe so much......just different.

Steve