Model Cars Magazine Forum

CA glue/Zap A Gap alternate containers

Hi,

I love my ZapAGap but the container sucks.  I apply just a tad to very small pitch fork looking tool which works wonderfully in precise application.

But in doing so, drops run down the side of the bottle and eventually sort of ruin it.

Also the little needle sized tip they provide is not easily capped shut.

Does any one have a source on better containers or simply how to better manage this?

14 minutes ago, Dave Ambrose said:

I stopped using that stuff altogether. Could never get it capped tightly enough. I switched to the Gorilla Glue CA in the little tubes. They seal up tight and the glue stays good until the glue runs out, assuming I don't leave the cap off. 

Hi and thanks for the reply.

The nice thing about ZapAGap is that it comes in a few viscosities.

Do you find Gorilla Glue to be a total or just good enough replacement?

There is something about the ZapAGap, its dry time seems different, more user friendly.  Or is it just me? 

I keep a glass olive jar (it's short and wide) on my workbench...about half-full of acetone. If a CA tip gets clogged, won't seal properly, etc. I toss it in the jar,  replacing it with a tip from a used-up bottle (I'm a pack rat) that has been sitting in the sealed jar.

The jar also contains those cute little extensions that clog up quickly, so I don't have to keep buying them.

Edited by BigTallDad

I've been using these CA gluing tips for about 30 yrs, never have a problem with too much CA coming out,  I can manage the smallest drops imaginable!   This is a Walmart online ad, but a lot of hobby shops carry them, as does Tower Hobbies.  When the tip clogs, I simply use my Xacto knife to cut the tip back to get rid of the clog, and go forward.  They really are not that expensive either!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Extra-Fine-Extender-Tips-for-the-BSI-CA-Glue-Bag-of-6-Extra-Fine-Extender-Tips-By-Bob-Smith-Ind-Glue/722037928?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=16076&adid=22222222227127534412&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=235414247755&wl4=pla-386436820310&wl5=9016721&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=120801945&wl11=online&wl12=722037928&wl13=&veh=sem

Art

Instead of trying to apply CA straight from the bottle, put a few drops in a medicine/aspirin bottle lid. A lot neater and you have more control over how much and where it goes. Just wipe off the excess on the applicator tip and you're good to go.

Tip:

Contrary to what the rocket scientists swear by, storing opened bottles in the fridge is a bad idea. Cyanoacrylate polymerizes in the presence of water. The opened bottle contains air, which contains moisture. The humidity of air already brings a sufficient amount of water for cyanoacrylate to polymerize.  When cooled, the moisture condenses and contaminates the CA, drastically shortening its shelf life. Store your opened bottles in a glass (preferably a mason jar with a rubber gasketed screw cap) or metal container with a screw on lid. Place a couple silica gel bags inside and place the CA in the container. The silica will absorb the moisture and keep the CA from deteriorating. I have 6+ year old bottles of CA stored this way and they are still good. Every month or so, take the silica bags and toss them into the oven, heating them at 225° for 15 minutes to remove the absorbed moisture.

Edited by SfanGoch

On 3/14/2018 at 2:04 AM, BigTallDad said:

I keep a glass olive jar (it's short and wide) on my workbench...about half-full of acetone. If a CA tip gets clogged, won't seal properly, etc. I toss it in the jar,  replacing it with a tip from a used-up bottle (I'm a pack rat) that has been sitting in the sealed jar.

The jar also contains those cute little extensions that clog up quickly, so I don't have to keep buying them.

I am going to try this, I use Loctite Super Glue and I can waste sooooooooooooooooooooooo many tubes of it because the tip clogs up , I am going to try this .

On 3/15/2018 at 2:51 PM, Art Anderson said:

I've been using these CA gluing tips for about 30 yrs, never have a problem with too much CA coming out,  I can manage the smallest drops imaginable!   This is a Walmart online ad, but a lot of hobby shops carry them, as does Tower Hobbies.  When the tip clogs, I simply use my Xacto knife to cut the tip back to get rid of the clog, and go forward.  They really are not that expensive either!

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Extra-Fine-Extender-Tips-for-the-BSI-CA-Glue-Bag-of-6-Extra-Fine-Extender-Tips-By-Bob-Smith-Ind-Glue/722037928?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=16076&adid=22222222227127534412&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=235414247755&wl4=pla-386436820310&wl5=9016721&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=120801945&wl11=online&wl12=722037928&wl13=&veh=sem

Art

Hi and thank you sir.

Based on your info, I found these, $6 for 24, bayam.

zap.jpg

On 3/16/2018 at 11:26 AM, SfanGoch said:

Instead of trying to apply CA straight from the bottle, put a few drops in a medicine/aspirin bottle lid. A lot neater and you have more control over how much and where it goes. Just wipe off the excess on the applicator tip and you're good to go.

Tip:

Contrary to what the rocket scientists swear by, storing opened bottles in the fridge is a bad idea. Cyanoacrylate polymerizes in the presence of water. The opened bottle contains air, which contains moisture. The humidity of air already brings a sufficient amount of water for cyanoacrylate to polymerize.  When cooled, the moisture condenses and contaminates the CA, drastically shortening its shelf life. Store your opened bottles in a glass (preferably a mason jar with a rubber gasketed screw cap) or metal container with a screw on lid. Place a couple silica gel bags inside and place the CA in the container. The silica will absorb the moisture and keep the CA from deteriorating. I have 6+ year old bottles of CA stored this way and they are still good. Every month or so, take the silica bags and toss them into the oven, heating them at 225° for 15 minutes to remove the absorbed moisture.

Hi and thank you sir.  I'm doing both of these since your post.

Thanks again.

6 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I am going to try this, I use Loctite Super Glue and I can waste sooooooooooooooooooooooo many tubes of it because the tip clogs up , I am going to try this .

I think you'll like it.

In a similar fashion, I keep a small jar that contains lacquer thinner. It's great for cleaning paint brushes, and I also have several spray heads from rattle cans in there...a couple of Tamiya, Testors, Krylon, etc. Just before spraying, I'll put a fresh head on the can to ensure a nice clean spray pattern.

5 hours ago, BigTallDad said:

I think you'll like it.

In a similar fashion, I keep a small jar that contains lacquer thinner. It's great for cleaning paint brushes, and I also have several spray heads from rattle cans in there...a couple of Tamiya, Testors, Krylon, etc. Just before spraying, I'll put a fresh head on the can to ensure a nice clean spray pattern.

Yes sir, I use old Tamiya jar's and put lacquer thinner in them and use that to clean brushes, I do something close with spray heads,  I keep a few clean one's on hand for those times when you need a clean head.

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Yes sir, I use old Tamiya jar's and put lacquer thinner in them and use that to clean brushes, I do something close with spray heads,  I keep a few clean one's on hand for those times when you need a clean head.

GMTA