Model Cars Magazine Forum

Still slicing and dicing

Psychographic

20 hours ago, Pat Minarick said:

Very cool , Dave 

Did you finish the Corvair van?

No, I could never figure out how to do the cooling vents in the coves. I know where the body and parts are, but I have no clue as to where I put the molds for the lights, grille, grillebar, and bumpers.

19 hours ago, disconovaman said:

I want one! Can we trade brains Dave?

While my brain might be somewhat OK at coming up with ideas, the rest of it is very broken. I doubt you would want it.

47 minutes ago, Psychographic said:

While not very ambitious as far as restyling, I thought I would throw this one up. I was very nervous about narrowing the nose the 3/8" to fit the grille. So far it seems to be looking OK.

P3180122.JPG.bda75f82ab8bc7650c9b5612ac7b915b.JPGP3180123.JPG.5323c7325ede1582e934fc25332b7064.JPG

That's just not right, but it does look cool.

How about a 50 Chevy P.U. crossed with a 58 T-Bird? This one stalled after I kept breaking the A pillars while trying to hinge the doors. I made the mistake of using too thin of brass rod to make the hinges. I so wanted to throw it against the wall, but I love the look of it and managed to restrain myself and put it in the box.

L1.JPG.423f0d1ae3b650854950d47ba49cbb35.JPG5aae801536a12_L1(1).JPG.d07d507c3453ecd26b5013e71fb555e3.JPG5aae81217bc79_L1Side.jpg.268b81d37e6dd5d00aa92c0f28f1cd88.jpg

Edited by Psychographic

You do have some very interesting and outrageous ideas.  I love it.  I hope you don't mind if I share my most ambitious custom project.  '50 Chevy p.u., '53 'vette front, stretch cab, '53 Belair ¼ panels, parts box roof chopped up for rear of bed and 1:72 scale airplane wings for bedsides.

15214853265882085088054.jpg

1521485391473802439910.jpg

35 minutes ago, rsxse240 said:

You do have some very interesting and outrageous ideas.  I love it.  I hope you don't mind if I share my most ambitious custom project.  '50 Chevy p.u., '53 'vette front, stretch cab, '53 Belair ¼ panels, parts box roof chopped up for rear of bed and 1:72 scale airplane wings for bedsides.

I like that a lot. Have you finished it, if not I have a suggestion for you. Look at the nice gentle curve on the tops of your front fenders, now look at how the top of the back fenders are somewhat flat. The whole truck is rounded, the cab, hood, fenders, and the back of the bed, the only flat part is the top of the bed. I think if you added a curve to the tops of the back fenders it would improve the overall look of your truck quite a bit.

Viper Sedan Delivery. The roof is from a PT Cruiser that I filled the windows, narrowed it, and added a wedge to the back to make it flow better. I started this one last night.

I have another roof coming, so I'm going to make a Plymouth Prowler SD.

P3190134.JPG.1f22daafd65be2a1f9a2526bbfcfe7d1.JPGP3190136.JPG.d2e04d68c84ff7d242662c06362166f2.JPGP3190133.JPG.d165bf5b2c23b7dcee6c48470ca0e96b.JPGP3190135.JPG.3b814337ed3e33f5ec61abd4fe173005.JPG

Edited by Psychographic

3 hours ago, Psychographic said:

I like that a lot. Have you finished it, if not I have a suggestion for you. Look at the nice gentle curve on the tops of your front fenders, now look at how the top of the back fenders are somewhat flat. The whole truck is rounded, the cab, hood, fenders, and the back of the bed, the only flat part is the top of the bed. I think if you added a curve to the tops of the back fenders it would improve the overall look of your truck quite a bit.

Thanks for the tip.  I'll be sure to see if I can do something about it.  The top edges of the bed sides are pretty much stuck, unless I rebuild the whole thing but the fenders are fair game.

And, no, it isn't yet finished.  I kinda lost motivation on it because my imagination was hurting, so I put it up for a while.

22 hours ago, Psychographic said:

I might have tilted the rear fenders up in back so their top edges parallel the bed top.  And remove some of the bottom of the rear of the bed.  This could also give a bit of a wedge look, lightening the rear.  I'd probably open the rear wheel cutouts to match the fronts.  It is great to see so many radical ideas!

I want to see the Viper delivery in primer - at least the roof.  Outrageous, but it seems to work.  In the U.K., it would be a shooting brake.  BTW, in the three or four (I think) custom versions of the Viper I've STARTED, I've eliminated the side exhausts - just too café racer for me.

Here is one of my most radical builds:

Edited by GerN