Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Chevy Biscayne 4dr

DEL

Hello Modelers!

"Submitted for your approval" .. ( I feel like Rod Serling. Next I'll be seeing strange creatures out my window monkeying with my CVPI!)  The start of a 67 Chevy Biscayne 4dr.

This takes a bit of doing in that whilst the donor kit is readily available in the 67 Impala SS, it is a fastback and only a 2door to boot.  The basic wheelbases are the same between 2-4drs but there is different sheet metal work and termination points on the door tops. The original kit had a very long sloped roof out to the end of the trunk.  A conventional "C" pillar had to constructed along with lowering the trunk deck height to sedan like levels.   More pics to come but this is the start..

The first pic is from the kit box showing the car's SS (SuperSloping) fastback roofline.  That had to go and a  new sedan conventional C-pillar built. Yes, it was a PITA.:blink:

1967 chevrolet impala ss 2dr MODEL Graphic - Copy - Copy.jpg

180227 - 67 Chevy Biscayne Conv (3).JPG

180227 - 67 Chevy Biscayne Conv (2).JPG

Notice the tops of the doors had to be raised up level to match a new flatter upper roof dripline.  A lot of conversions I have seen have left that precipitous drop in door level of the 2dr and just moved on. One was on a STATION WAGON.  Anyway, you can see the styrene addition below in white at door tops.

180227 - 67 Chevy Biscayne Conv (6).JPG

Filling it in..

180303 - 67 Biscayne - PR (1).JPG

180303 - 67 Biscayne - PR (2).JPG

Mor pics to come soon as I am currently building in the solid door window frame uppers. Thanks for looking!  Oh, and as I put a notice on the "Parts Wanted' forum, I'm looking for anyone who might have a set of +69 Chevy Nova COPO poverty caps they're willing to part with. In the end, I'll buy a whole kit just to get 'em if I have to but I have to part out kits that way. At any rate, this model will need those one or two years only caps to be accurate.  Thanks!!

Edited by DEL

50 minutes ago, DEL said:

Hello Modelers!

"Submitted for your approval" .. ( I feel like Rod Serling. Next I'll be seeing strange creatures out my window monkeying with my CVPI!)  The start of a 67 Chevy Biscayne 4dr.

This takes a bit of doing in that whilst the donor kit is readily available in the 67 Impala SS, it is a fastback and only a 2door to boot.  The basic wheelbases are the same between 2-4drs but there is different sheet metal work and termination points on the door tops. The original kit had a very long sloped roof out to the end of the trunk.  A conventional "C" pillar had to constructed along with lowering the trunk deck height to sedan like levels.   More pics to come but this is the start..

The first pic is from the kit box showing the car's SS (SuperSloping) fastback roofline.  That had to go and a  new sedan conventional C-pillar built. Yes, it was a PITA.:blink:

1967 chevrolet impala ss 2dr MODEL Graphic - Copy - Copy.jpg

180227 - 67 Chevy Biscayne Conv (3).JPG

180227 - 67 Chevy Biscayne Conv (2).JPG

Notice the tops of the doors had to be raised up level to match a new flatter upper roof dripline.  A lot of conversions I have seen have left that precipitous drop in door level of the 2dr and just moved on. One was on a STATION WAGON.  Anyway, you can see the styrene addition below in white at door tops.

180227 - 67 Chevy Biscayne Conv (6).JPG

Filling it in..

180303 - 67 Biscayne - PR (1).JPG

180303 - 67 Biscayne - PR (2).JPG

Mor pics to come soon as I am currently building in the solid door window frame uppers. Thanks for looking!  Oh, and as I put a notice on the "Parts Wanted' forum, I'm looking for anyone who might have a set of +69 Chevy Nova COPO poverty caps they're willing to part with. In the end, I'll buy a whole kit just to get 'em if I have to but I have to part out kits that way. At any rate, this model will need those one or two years only caps to be accurate.  Thanks!!

The accurate caps for the 67 Police Spec are rally wheels without trim rings or centers from the AMT 70 Corvette LT1, and most MOC 70's corvettes, with a set of Parts by parks baby moons, with a set of photoetch bow ties in a circular emblem from one of the MCG '65 Chevrolet sets.

Wow, DEL, you are doing GREAT work. It looks better than the one resin '67 2DS body I've seen. 

I'm planning to try one of these myself, using the top from a backbirth Monogram 1/24 '69 Camaro. I saw someone do this once to make a Supernatural 4-door, and it looked pretty good. If the top doesn't look "right enough" to suit me when I've got it on, I'll just drive on and call it a phantom '67 Impala "formal top." 

Oh, BTW, do you know that there's a diecast 1/24 Supernatural Impala available? It's pretty darn nice, too--all except the top, where there's something funky going on. Yours already looks better. 

Drive on! B)

http://spencer1984.com/my_models/supernatural-1.php

He's also a member here on the fourm. spencer1984. He builds some of the coolest movie car builds I've ever seen.

I think he used the roofline from the 68 camaro AMT car... he also has a youtube channel and current threads on here. The resin 67 four door sedan excists as well as the Supernatural  diecast. I wouldn't put it past Revell to aquire the rights to the diecast molds and do a plastic version (in the future) like they did with the Starsky and Hutch Torino (Also originally a diecast car.) Most Police cars are sedans... I would track down the resin sedan version to do a service car. I wish a model company would take a chance on a 4door sedan of some kind. Here are some resin 67 Caprice wagon examples too.

m262a.jpg

Screenshot_20180317-102831.jpg

Screenshot_20180317-103120.jpg

Edited by disconovaman

On 3/15/2018 at 4:37 PM, Ron Hamilton said:

The accurate caps for the 67 Police Spec are rally wheels without trim rings or centers from the AMT 70 Corvette LT1, and most MOC 70's corvettes, with a set of Parts by parks baby moons, with a set of photoetch bow ties in a circular emblem from one of the MCG '65 Chevrolet sets.

Thanks for that Ron.  I'm a-lookin!! :wacko:

Snake45 Said:

Wow, DEL, you are doing GREAT work. It looks better than the one resin '67 2DS body I've seen.

Oh, BTW, do you know that there's a diecast 1/24 Supernatural Impala available? It's pretty darn nice, too--all except the top, where there's something funky going on. Yours already looks better. 

Snake,  Yes I am aware of the Supernatural Di-cast.  Don't want to offend DiCast aficionados but I don't care for them.  Too 'toy-like' in my estimation. I saw the pic of the LSP 67 above, chacked and saw a 67 Impala SS was available to the basics were there to start with so I decided to go for it.   Thanks for the good comments. 

Diconovaman Said:

Most Police cars are sedans... I would track down the resin sedan version to do a service car. I wish a model company would take a chance on a 4door sedan of some kind. Here are some resin 67 Caprice wagon examples too.

Preachin' to the choir and singin' my song. The world does not solely exist of pickups & sports cars.  The old big 4drs need attention too but the styrenegiants would rather give us each of their individual examples of the next newest years Camaro or something so we have four different versions to choose from.  Sheezz..  Oh, and the station wagons are pretty sharp.  Wasn't aware another resin caster has done a 67 chevy 4dr sedan.  Who is it? I'd like to see it now that mine is almost done.  Thanks again to all!!

almost-a dunn.

Since I am not too hot at captioning the pics as they go I will just say that the following pics show the progression as such: Grille modified from a 'SS 427" center badge to a plain Biscayne grille by carefully removing plastic and leaving to proper amounts in place to show the proper grille lines. The bare plastic was then covered with a small piece of BMF to get it match for the time being the rest of the chrome.  Then the hood had to be modified from the big SS bumped up one with louvers to a simple hood with a centerline crest.  And finally, I placed it all together for a look-see, and put it's feet on after I ground out the backs to open up the rally 5-slot wheels.  

Here we go.  Welcome to my world. Please keep your hands inside the car at all times. :P

180318 - 67 Biscayne - Grille Mod (5).JPG

67 Impala ss - Grille, Badge, Hood detail.jpg

1967 Chevy Impala SS - Grille Detail SS 427 badge.jpg

180318 - 67 Biscayne - Grille Mod (1).JPG

Great work on the 67. I remember MD having 2 door 67's with the Olive Drab /Black paint  scheme, with Red Rally Wheels That was one odd duck, but it was cool.. I have one of the MCW '66 Biscayne 2 door Sedans for a 1966 MD State Police Project. It is based from an old AMT tool that I bought well before the superior Revell kit came out. I may keep it, and use it as a pattern, as the roof is a little funky. I can correct it, as I did my 65 post sedan. I do not feel like chopping up a pristine 66 Impala SS kit.

Keep up the great work!

Thanks guys!  I just noticed I haven't installed the door handles.  I built them last night and they will install tonight.  also need a door RV Mirror.

Only three pics I ever found of these cars in use by the LSP in my state and they're some interesting pics in themselves.  The first one below was taken from the observation deck of the state capitol building (tallest Capitol building in the country) Ca. 1970 I think.  69 or 70. I see chevys and fords from 1965-67 at the very least.  The second was taken at a big offshore tarpon fishing tournament they hold each year and while the 67's were mostly blocked by personnel you can still see the units in the background.. (I think the one in the foreground is a Buick Wildcat, the one behind with a roof light is a 67 or 68 Biscayne.

LSP Units @ Capitol - Ca. 67-70 - cpy.jpg

Trp - C - Grand Isle Tarpon Fishing Rodeo - Ca. 1970 copy.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
6 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

It looks like a 68 or 69 Buick Skylark to me.

It's not a Skylark, it's full size, a 67 or 68 and the front side marker lights would seem to make it a 68.  Wildcat? That was the top trim level and I'd think would have chrome trim on the window pillars. Maybe the next level down. Was that LeSabre in 1968? I'd have to check....