Model Cars Magazine Forum

1967 Chevy Biscayne 4dr

DEL

Thanks to all for the kind words on the work.  I truly mean that. 

Foxer: You're doing some beautiful work here ... I don't want to think how many repairs I'd need to make those sharp door lines.

It takes a while I promise youLike all modelers, I try and get it just right and so the first time but my knife jumps the channel and scratches or digs deep in one spot and barely scratches another and then the borders are uneven.  For every decent door-line you see there was a good going over, rework and primer, putty, fill and sand and redo more times than I can say.  Super magnification head glasses are essential too, for me anyway.

After doing some more investigation on the blocked car in the pic I am fairly certain now that it was a 68 Skylark, not a Wildcat.  Google images is great for that comparison thing.  The front bumper with the side marker light right behind it along with the downward swooping body-line all seems to fit. Plus I was able to find examples with solid door window frames in the 4dr. versions.  That and that also noted elsewhere the Wildcat was a more upscale marque while the Skylark would send to lend itself to the lower cost bracket levels. I just wonder whether it was an actual police package vehicle at the time. The state has always bought true police packages since they were offered. But I could find no other Skylark pics in police livery not even historically.  Still, the LSP did from time to time every few years throw a curveball and buy not so readily seen (IE: less than full size) vehicles in a variety of street colors both with and without external lighting just to sneak up on folks.  The following are screenshots from Live & Let Die and while they are all movie cars it does fairly accurately depict the fleet at the time.  One of the cars is a medium blue Malibu with graphics but no overhead lights, just like the Grand Tarpon pic.

L&LD - Screenshots (BR) 4 (2).JPG

L&LD - Screenshots (BR) 4 (8).JPG

L&LD - Screenshots (BR) 4   (8a).jpg

Are you talking about this 67 Biscayne, or my 73 Bel Air?

Greg Wann is my caster on the 1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria, and after that is off the ground we will be doing either my 77 LeMans Enforcer or the 73 Bel Air.  After that I will have the 67 Biscayne, 78 Nova and hopefully, a 72 Dodge Polara done to choose from for next direction. All 4drs. I may change my name to Mr. 4dr.

Anyway, we may have to have some kind of vote or something to see what garners most interest.  I don't want to kill Greg, he still has a day job as most of us do.  Eventually if this works out as he and I have discussed all these will be offered and ready to go on standby ordering basis.  The modeling world could use some 4drs . We aim to please!

1 hour ago, DEL said:

Are you talking about this 67 Biscayne, or my 73 Bel Air?

Greg Wann is my caster on the 1991 Ford LTD Crown Victoria, and after that is off the ground we will be doing either my 77 LeMans Enforcer or the 73 Bel Air.  After that I will have the 67 Biscayne, 78 Nova and hopefully, a 72 Dodge Polara done to choose from for next direction. All 4drs. I may change my name to Mr. 4dr.

Anyway, we may have to have some kind of vote or something to see what garners most interest.  I don't want to kill Greg, he still has a day job as most of us do.  Eventually if this works out as he and I have discussed all these will be offered and ready to go on standby ordering basis.  The modeling world could use some 4drs . We aim to please!

Good choices! And they look good too, I've seen your work. Do you think any of those could be offered as wagons too? You're half way there with the 4 doors already in place. 

I am warming to the subject of station wagons. God knows I was hauled around in many different ones as a kid.  But to answer you yes, I think I stated somewhere that I wanted to do a few station wagons as well.

My first one might be a 71 Buick Estate Wagon, though.  That one has fond memories for me.  But if I manage to remain around and on the scene long enuff as they said in Fargo, You Betcha!

• 4 weeks later...

He Del, it occurred to me the Starsky and Hutch Torino wouldn't be too tough to convert to a 4 door!! Used to see a lot of them back in the 70s, even though the Nova was much more popular. Just what you need, right, more suggestions to create more work, LOL!!

14 hours ago, rkeel said:

He Del, it occurred to me the Starsky and Hutch Torino wouldn't be too tough to convert to a 4 door!! Used to see a lot of them back in the 70s, even though the Nova was much more popular. Just what you need, right, more suggestions to create more work, LOL!!

Oh yea,a four door Torino would be great.My first car as a teenager,was my fathers 74 four door,brown Gran Torino.It was a great car.I mean it only had the 302,with a single carburetor.I would love to make a replica of that car.

Cool build! My Dad had a '67 Biscayne in the light blue with a straight six and three on the tree. I took my drivers test in it. A few years later I bought an identically equipped '67 off of a buddy of mine. He sold it because the plastic connector that held the column shift tubes together snapped. I put a couple sheet metal screws through the two tubes, drove it for a couple months and sold it back to him. Good memories!

Edited by NOBLNG

3 hours ago, NOBLNG said:

Cool build! My Dad had a '67 Biscayne in the light blue with a straight six and three on the tree. I took my drivers test in it. A few years later I bought an identically equipped '67 off of a buddy of mine. He sold it because the plastic connector that held the column shift tubes together snapped. I put a couple sheet metal screws through the two tubes, drove it for a couple months and sold it back to him. Good memories!

Around 1976 my buddy needed a cheap car and there was an ad in the paper for a 67 Chevy 4 door for $200.  We get there and it's an old taxi fleet and the guy wants to sell '67, '68 and '69 Biscayne 4 door sedans, with 6 cylinders and three on the tree.  Sad looking cars, not a straight panel between them, high unknown miles and filthy from sitting under trees for who knows how long.  No we didn't buy one!

• 3 months later...

Bill, Dirk, THANK YOU for the comments on the 67!  I really do appreciate the feedback.

"After your modifications, what are the widths of the front and rear doors."  

Thank You. Larry

I'd have to get back to you on that Larry, I don't have them with me but if I recall, both the 2dr and the 4dr share the same frame wheelbase so it's a matter of fitting them into that space properly. From the front door leading edge to the new rear door edge scribed in after the roof was built.

Paul: No, I have not found that perfect donor. Someone commented the 75 Torino hubcaps were pretty close but I have yet to look them over and see. I wish I could get Mr. Chief Joseph to do such things as this for me because as far as I can see his work is absolutely top shelf. And that is what I want!  It's nice when something is close and can be modified, far better if someone has the skill to make it exactly right from the get go.  Unfortunately, he seems to be quite busy, and chooses his projects based on his own criteria.  Not grinding or complaining mind you.  I am happy we have him and I am placing an order today for some wheel sets and already can't wait to get them.    Thanks for asking...

EDIT:  just had a closeup look at the Torino caps and the basic shape is very similar to what the 77 LeMans is. I can fill the slots, the graduating circles of smaller holes would be the trick.  If not done just right it would throw the whole thing off in appearance.  Still it's the closest suggestion I've had and much appreciated.

Edited by DEL

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 11/2/2019 at 12:44 PM, gator52 said:

I just discovered this project Dwayne, looks fantastic!  I hope copies are available in the future-

Chris

Dang, sorry Chris.  And thanks! That IS the PLAN. It's part of why I built it, I want a couple myself. 

When We do I will let you know..  Thanks again..

One thing you haven't addressed is the different A-pillar; both the angle and height are different on Chevy's sedans versus the hardtops. Sedans are a bit more "vertical" as opposed to laid back, and they are about an inch taller through the window openings. Look up replacement windshields for the real thing, and you'll see they are different parts altogether. Look closely at the side view of your model, and you'll see it looks slightly chopped. I just point this out because you are doing SUCH nice work to get this looking right. Keep it up!

14 hours ago, bisc63 said:

One thing you haven't addressed is the different A-pillar; both the angle and height are different on Chevy's sedans versus the hardtops. Sedans are a bit more "vertical" as opposed to laid back, and they are about an inch taller through the window openings. Look up replacement windshields for the real thing, and you'll see they are different parts altogether. Look closely at the side view of your model, and you'll see it looks slightly chopped. I just point this out because you are doing SUCH nice work to get this looking right. Keep it up!

I'll have a look at my reference materials.  If I can find those proper angles I'll see what I can do. I'm just going by the late 70's mentality in that 2dr or 4dr the front windshield and pillars were in most cases the same. I looked at Pics of a couple of 68 (?) Chevy Station wagon models posted on page one of this thread and I think I see what you speak of, the A pillar seems to stand a bit straighter but it makes me wonder: was there a 68 Chevy kit that was a donor for those and did they change the molds?  I dunno for sure but I'll look.

Edited by DEL

2 minutes ago, DEL said:

I'll have a look at my reference materials.  If I can find those proper angles I'll see what I can do. I'm just going by the late 70's mentality in that 2dr or 4dr the front windshield and pillars were in most cases the same.

I believe that to be true for 2dr and 4dr sedans in general going way back, but 2dr and 4dr hardtops in the 50s-60s were often different...

Edited by Rob Hall

• 1 year later...