Model Cars Magazine Forum

Our Michael's is a joke

Since our LHS Hobbytown USA closed last year, we have been dependent on the local Michael's store.

The last few times I was forced to go there, Model kits have been diminishing and the stock of Testor's paint (the only brand they sell) was dwindling.

It's like they are trying to get out of the model business to make more room for frufru stuff like wreaths and fake flowers.

Our alternatives are to buy totally online or drive 20 miles to a Hobbytown. 

Anyone have a similar predicament?

Every Michaels in NYC is the same as yours. Then again, it's an arts & crafts store, not a hobby shop. Customers who buy picture frames for their macaroni-on-velvet artwork don't care about the less than pathetic plastic kit and supplies section. Get in step with the 21st Century and purchase online. You'll save money too.

Edited by SfanGoch

11 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

Every Michaels in NYC is the same as yours. Then again, it's an arts & crafts store, not a hobby shop. Customers who by picture frames for their macaroni-on-velvet artwork don't care about the less than pathetic plastic kit and supplies section. Get in step with the 21st Century and purchase online. You'll save money too.

I was in the middle of typing that same thing ......

Our Micheal's opened 5, 6 yrs ago 2 miles from my house,..with the 50% off coupon, I will peruse the newly released,...other than that, on-line only.

...unless of course I'm anywhere near a brick and mortar....:wub: the smell of  hobby paint and styrene...mmmm

Edited by Belugawrx

The only B&M shop around here Is Jan's Hobby Shop, which I mentioned in another thread. The prices are more than double suggested retail. The main source of revenue comes from commision custom, scratch built large scale ship and aircraft models for high end/celebrity clients by the owner's son. He's a pro at what he does and charges accordingly.

5482469_YUXUtdbwmljw845ZZ1szNrq75wh_Ds1Blutv0eHm4Rc.jpg

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

All Michaels are a joke,  the one by me hasnt restock the basic Testor's jar paints since last year, it waste my time to even think about going there for even the basic modeling supplies.

Yup. High prices. Poor selection. Annoying store overall...

2 hours ago, Lizard Racing said:

Since our LHS Hobbytown USA closed last year, we have been dependent on the local Michael's store.

The last few times I was forced to go there, Model kits have been diminishing and the stock of Testor's paint (the only brand they sell) was dwindling.

It's like they are trying to get out of the model business to make more room for frufru stuff like wreaths and fake flowers.

Our alternatives are to buy totally online or drive 20 miles to a Hobbytown. 

Anyone have a similar predicament?

20 miles is great. the closest LHS of the Ma and Pa style is 150 miles. Full blown shops, 500 miles. So 20 miles is good....

Hmmmmm...Michaels...ribbon for seatbelts, beading wire for plug wires, rubber beading line for small hoses, brushes, acrylic paints, X-Acto stuff, miniature chain, MANY kinds of markers and glues, general art supplies, sometimes jewels for lights or dress snaps for seat swivels. That's all I can think of. Did I leave anything out? Maybe balsa, or embossed dollhouse floors and brick for diorama work.

But like the man said, if you're big into "macaroni-on-velvet artwork", or papier-mache-and-popcorn replicas of the Pieta, they got you covered.

For most of the items you mentioned, I go to Blick Art Materials/Utrecht Art Supplies. Better prices than Michaels; plus, I get a student discount. I tell the cashier that I'm a student at Pratt Institute. They never ask for proof. It must be that I'm such a great schmoozer and engage in so much meaningless small talk at the register that they forget to ask. :D 

2 hours ago, abelaxe said:

I cant wait for our Hobby Lobby to open up next month!

What a coincidence!  A HL is opening near me next month too.  And I notice we're on opposite sides of the country.  I can't wait either.  It's a 30-mile drive for me to HL right now.  Or Michael's, to get back on-topic.  The HL and the Michael's are only a couple of miles from each other, and there's an Ollie's in the same area.

Michael's did help me out a few months ago.  My old Aztek airbrush finally died (after several re-builds).  Michael's had the airbrush I wanted, and I used a 50% off coupon to get the price down.

I haven't been in a Michaels since I can't remember when. I have never thought that they were serious about our hobby for ever and their pricing seems as though they're quite proud of the out dated kits that they have to offer. They over price what they have and even with the discount coupons they are still higher than the local hobby shop. So you can guess were most of my money is spent.   

I miss K-B Toys. They stocked a great selection of model kits. Every year, right after Thanksgiving, they leased large spaces for their Toy Liquidator stores. I picked up heaps o'kits for bargain basement prices. I paid 8 bucks each for about a dozen different Tamiya 1/12 motorcycle kits. Great deals on slot car and train sets, too.

I feel for ya'al. There is a HobbyTown USA in New Milford that is a real supermarket of hobby stuff. The owner also builds models and really knows his stuff.

I've been a customer for some years and he is a wealth of information. Anybody in Western Connecticut should stop in.

Robert

14 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

The only B&M shop around here Is Jan's Hobby Shop, which I mentioned in another thread. The prices are more than double suggested retail. The main source of revenue comes from commision custom, scratch built large scale ship and aircraft models for high end/celebrity clients by the owner's son. He's a pro at what he does and charges accordingly.

5482469_YUXUtdbwmljw845ZZ1szNrq75wh_Ds1Blutv0eHm4Rc.jpg

What about Rudy's?  A MUCH better store if you're a car guy

13 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

For most of the items you mentioned, I go to Blick Art Materials/Utrecht Art Supplies. Better prices than Michaels; plus, I get a student discount. I tell the cashier that I'm a student at Pratt Institute. They never ask for proof. It must be that I'm such a great schmoozer and engage in so much meaningless small talk at the register that they forget to ask. :D 

And they have the BEST range of airbrush paints at sensible prices too!

14 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Hmmmmm...Michaels...ribbon for seatbelts, beading wire for plug wires, rubber beading line for small hoses, brushes, acrylic paints, X-Acto stuff, miniature chain, MANY kinds of markers and glues, general art supplies, sometimes jewels for lights or dress snaps for seat swivels. That's all I can think of. Did I leave anything out? Maybe balsa, or embossed dollhouse floors and brick for diorama work.

But like the man said, if you're big into "macaroni-on-velvet artwork", or papier-mache-and-popcorn replicas of the Pieta, they got you covered.

...and the embossing powder for carpet and resin casting supplies!!!  I'm thankful to have several Michaels and Hobby Lobby's in my world.  If you spend a little time perusing the store it's really a pretty cool place to shop for supplies, maybe not so much for kits.  Online you can get some amazing deals on kits from Spotlight Hobbies and fast, too!!!

2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

What about Rudy's?  A MUCH better store if you're a car guy

Yeah, Rudy's in Astoria. Thanks for reminding me .I used to get Dragon armor kits at Rudy's. He does have a good selection of just about every kind of models and the train stuff is cool. Nice guy, he is. Always enjoyed conversing with him.