Model Cars Magazine Forum

Model T Truck Kit...?

So guys I'd like to replicate the Model TT shown in this pic. The camera store/lab I work at has been in business since 1892 and some time in the mid teens this photo was taken. What kit, if any, should I get to start this project? Thanks!

ztkg2cK.jpg

41 minutes ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

This'll get you in the ballpark...

Image result for AMT model T truck

And you just missed them for $8 apiece at Ollie's, just a couple months ago. Well, that means there are a lot of them floating around, anyway. 

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

This'll get you in the ballpark...

Image result for AMT model T truck

Looks like a great start. I should be able to mod the body a bit. $8 a piece, WOW! I do have 6 local hobby stores here in St. Louis and I bet one of them has it. 

Thanks guys!!  

2 hours ago, Craig Irwin said:

Is that kit a true TT, or just a delivery body on the car chassis?

I just thought about that....isn't the TT just a stronger frame and rear axle? Also I think the Schiller's van is a Model T as the TT came out in 1917? I think the photo I showed is from 1914?

On 3/17/2018 at 12:38 PM, Craig Irwin said:

Is that kit a true TT, or just a delivery body on the car chassis?

No, it's not a TT truck, but a commercial body on the standard Model T passenger car chassis (Ford sold Model T's as just the bare frame, with fenders, hood, firewall and cowling, for just such a conversion--back in the 'teens and 'twenties (of the 20th Century, of course) there were hundreds, if not thousands of fairly small, local  shops (even small factories) that built such commercial bodies on special order.

Art

On 3/17/2018 at 3:39 PM, webestang said:

I just thought about that....isn't the TT just a stronger frame and rear axle? Also I think the Schiller's van is a Model T as the TT came out in 1917? I think the photo I showed is from 1914?

The TT has a longer, much heavier frame, along with a heavy, worm-drive rear axle, and a rear transverse spring that dwarf's the standard Model T 

Ford TT Truck chassis.jpg

On 3/21/2018 at 5:14 PM, wku88 said:

Don't forget the TT also had a conventional manual transmission as well.

Conventional only in that all Fords from about 1907 until the end of Model T production in June 1927 used Ford's standard 2-speed planetary transmission with foot pedal controls--not exactly your "conventional manual transmission" that most think of--sliding gears, with a separate foot-pedal clutch, and a gear shift lever.  And this includes EVERY Ford Model TT truck as well--those even had the same 176cid 22-bhp  flathead four cylinder as mounted in every Model T.

Art

Edited by Art Anderson

Well, I have seen them with shift levers, so it must have been this, according to Wikipedia:

" It was often equipped with an accessory gearbox, such as the Ruckstell or Jumbo gearboxes, which allowed the truck to have intermediate gears between low and high, useful for hill climbing.

52 minutes ago, wku88 said:

Well, I have seen them with shift levers, so it must have been this, according to Wikipedia:

" It was often equipped with an accessory gearbox, such as the Ruckstell or Jumbo gearboxes, which allowed the truck to have intermediate gears between low and high, useful for hill climbing.

I'm pretty sure that if it had a shifting lever it either had a 2 speed rear, or an aftermarket trans like a Warford. My fathers old 25 TT had a 2 speed Ruckstell rear, Warford trans, Rocky Mountain brakes and a Waukesha head. They made lots of accessories for the Model T but if it doesn't have Ford script on the part it didn't come with it.