Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chrome paint?

Hi everyone, I've been scratch building some bumpers and dog dish hubcaps for my most recent build, and I'd quite like to finish them in chrome. I know it is pretty much impossible to get a good chrome finish with paint, so if anyone has any suggestions on how to get a chrome finish on scratch built parts then that would be great! 

Thanks

Chris

Do some online searches for a product called Molotow chrome paint pens. They come in 1, 2 and 4 mm tip widths and you can also get a refill container that can be sprayed through an airbrush. One of the most realistic-looking chrome paint products that I have ever seen.

The dictionary definition of chrome is a metallic plated finish, so paint will never be exactly the same. You can send out parts to have them chrome plated if you do not mind waiting and paying. For real chrome, this is the way.

In the past year, many people have been using the Molotow Chrome pen, which is an ultra bright silver ink. It looks good but it has downsides, such as, do not touch it, do not polish it, do not clear coat it, without being aware that you may damage the finish. Even Molotow, the manufacturer, warns against touching or coating it. The pens come in 3 sizes and can be found at many hobby stores or online. I find the pen works well for small touch ups, dashboard knows and dials, inside door handles, gauge faces, etc. 

Bob Downie just did an article comparing Molotow, Spastix and Alclad. He also used different clear coats over each one. He used Spastix' Ultimate Clear, Alclad's Aqua Gloss and good old Pledge Floor Care with Future Shine. The best overall result was Molotow sprayed with an airbrush and coated with Spastix' Ultimate Clear. The pictures are very convincing. Not quite as bright a the parts sent to a plating service, but less expensive and you don't have to wait. I'm very impressed with my Molotow pens and as long as the parts aren't handled for a couple of days, they do hold up OK.

Molotow is so good I'll never use Alclad or Spaz Stix chromes ever again; Alclad black chrome is excellent though. Molotow airbrushed in wet coats, allowed to dry for a day or two, coated by Spaz Stix ultimate clear coat is pretty awesome. It's not as "perfect" as plated chrome, but still a huge improvement over the old standards. And plated chrome often looks too shiny. 

See for yourself; Molotow sprayed w/o clear, and Molotow sprayed w/a protective coat of Spaz Stix Ultimate Clear:

2v2uM4a1WxvKa6.jpg

I'd stick with Spaz Stix, not only is it easy to spray, there is no klean up, can be sprayed over gloss blacks from; Tamiya, Testors, Duplicolor, and Krylon. It is also VERY tough, can be masked-over with Tamiya masking tape, and has been proven. Alclad is nice looking, but is exactly the opposite of this, and as for the "wonder pen", Motolow is WAAAAY too fussy to me, and i'm not willing to spend all my time, money, and kits on something that will most likely fade over time.....ink is VERY suseptable to light. I don't work that hard for it to go to BLAH_BLAH_BLAH_BLAH later. Our dear late mentor, Harry P, was also a huge advocate for Spaz Stix, and boy did he do ALOT of chrome!!!......check out his work!!!!