Model Cars Magazine Forum

3 D parts

It looks like no one makes them. Would anyone  purchase them if made available? I am gonna retire in the next year and looking for something to that would keep me busy and pay for itself. 3D printing mirrors is one possibility.

First I would have to do a cost analysis and see if there is a market for this product. Second learn how to use CAD drawing software to design the mirrors. Third buy a 3D printer and all the necessary supplies.

Any comments or advice would be appreciated.

Mike      

4 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

It looks like no one makes them. Would anyone  purchase them if made available? I am gonna retire in the next year and looking for something to that would keep me busy and pay for itself. 3D printing mirrors is one possibility.

First I would have to do a cost analysis and see if there is a market for this product. Second learn how to use CAD drawing software to design the mirrors. Third buy a 3D printer and all the necessary supplies.

Mike      

Instead of buying a 3-D printer you could go Shapeways, at least to start. 

4 hours ago, Mike 1017 said:

Mike      

I'm sure Matt who has Scale Motorsport thought that, but with decals.  He grew into a heck of a business, and apparently is wanting to retire from it, and wants to sell it.  I know it would do well for you, depending on your drive to succeed.

Michael:  I've modified several mirrors, can think of 3 models that got the treatment.  Would be nice to have a line of what is available for the aftermarket.

1 hour ago, MeatMan said:

Instead of buying a 3-D printer you could go Shapeways, at least to start. 

I looked at Shapesways and I could not find any 1:24 or 1:25 mirrors. The only thing that will hold me back is CAD. 

Edited by Mike 1017
wrong word

having worked with 3d printed items....caution!    to get them smooth enough for any finish would be tedious at best...something that small would be difficult to prep for paint or chrome.  Suggestion:   Buy a cheap plastic for sale sign from any place that sells them and make your own.  Its not too hard, still requires patience and is tedious but cheap and doable. I made these with glueing  wire for the ribs, wire for frames, bmf for reflection, and just paint.  affordable 3d printers typically will give you an object that is layered and requires sanding to get the item remotely smooth.  If making your own is not an option, maybe some photo etch or do your photo etching.  Just suggestions!  

IMG_1408.JPG

I have no doubt that I could create and print side mirrors. I have the correct printer to make it happen and at $600, I feel it is affordable. The printer isn't the problem, it's knowledge. It is a 3 step learning curve. First, you have to learn CAD to make anything happen. Second you have to learn about the different desktop printers and choose the one that will do what you want. Third, you have to learn how to use the printer and how to achieve the setting, proper placement of the file on the build plate and more to get the desired result. It is far from plug and play.