Model Cars Magazine Forum

BJ & the Bear modern trailer - Fender work

I'm doing an updated trailer to go with my BJ & the Bear XXL Kenworth. It's Moebius of course, and it'll be a reefer to keep with the spirit of the original. I've spread the axle and I have some parts off being chromed. I bought the trailer from the Chrome Tech guys at a recent show so naturally that's where the chroming's being done. The paint will be the biggest challenge, mainly keeping the lines as straight as possible but I think it'll be fine. Kinda tough to photograph as the whole unit is 39-1/2"-long! :D

20180317_213012.jpg

20180317_213023.jpg

Edited by Mike77

Thanks guys, I appreciate the encouragement. When I did the Kenworth I didn't want "all red" or "all chrome" hanging off the frame, so I did a mix of both. The trailer will be the same, red single-hump fenders with a chromed 48" tool box between the axles on both sides.

• 2 weeks later...

Still working 6 days a week so progress is a little slow on this one. Originally I was going to go with regular single-hump fenders but then I had an idea. I had a set of slightly blemished triple humps so I got creative with them. I cut out the center hump and extended the remaining humps to fit the 10' axle spread. I'll fill in the center section to match the rest of the fender mold, and the open area between will be where the 48" tool box will be.

20180331_124911.jpg

Here's where I'm headed with the trailer fenders. I got the basic trim match on the existing resin fender humps, now it'll be a lot of filling and sanding to get everything as seamless as possible before paint.

20180406_122113.jpg

20180406_122202.jpg

Slow-going on the fenders right now...I haven't had time to work on the other one lately. I'm hoping to get it done soon so I can get them both painted.

I've been tossing the idea around in my head about making some type of air deflector to go in front of the front trailer axle. I don't want the full side skirts as those have too much of a "fleet" look, so I'm considering just a small air foil of some kind. Then again, a cabover has all the aerodynamic qualities of a brick so I'm not sure how much difference an air deflector would make! :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

The fenders are all done and painted. My parts are on their way back from Chrome Tech so I'm getting close to the finish line on this one. I think having a chrome 48" tool box between the humps will look nice.

20180420_121755.jpg