Model Cars Magazine Forum

I don't see the point of watching a Buy It Now/Or Best Offer ebay listing.

LDO

The only reason I can think is to see what it sells for, but even that doesn't make much sense. A search for completed auctions would give the same info. There will be no bidding. It can be bought by someone else in an instant with no counter bids. Why add it to the watch list?

22 minutes ago, TarheelRick said:

The only benefit I can think of is that if the item does not sell, the seller may relist at a lower price.  If you have been watching it, Ebay will notify you of the relisting.

9 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

I watch buy it now items so I remember what I want when I go on there with some money.

Bingo bingo.

I watch 20-30 items all the time, sort of a way to keep a list of items I may want to purchase, and they are often relisted if they sell (these are usually new items, so the seller may have many).   Mostly die cast and resin parts. 

Edited by Rob Hall

30 minutes ago, vintagerpm said:

I'll watch a "buy it now" item if I'm bidding on another listing of the same thing. Obviously, trying to get a lower price than the "buy it now". If my bid fails, I can go back to the "buy iy now" item and buy it.

That's a rationale--I can see your thinking there. Personally, if I think a Buy It Now price is reasonable, I buy it now, especially if it's somewhat rare or hard to find (which is pretty much all I buy on eBay). I don't want to risk losing an item versus saving $2 or $5 or some trivial sum. 

Isn't there a risk, when the item is scarce, one-of-a-kind, low production, that you will not get the chance to buy it in the future?  I'm looking at a resin body that I didn't know existed, it's up for bid, but nobody has yet.

On the other hand, after looking at a set of real wheels several times, eBay sent an email saying the seller would consider an offer, I did, he accepted, so I got ripped off for less (long story).

I've been watching one item for more than 3 years now.  Yes, that long! It keeps getting relisted while identical items often sell for $15-$30.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/291025513310

AMERICAN GRAFFITI 1978 FORD THUNDERBIRD 1:64 MotorMax VHTF Green _73600_MOMC NEW

Couple of years (when there were couple of other identical models listed for fraction of the $130 this seller wants) I contacted the seller asking what makes their model worth $130. Never got a reply. Waiting for a sucker he is.

I'm not the only one curious - there are currently 13 watchers.

On 3/18/2018 at 5:40 AM, Fat Brian said:

I watch buy it now items so I remember what I want when I go on there with some money.

This and also sometimes just as a place holder while I shop around.

Sometimes I don't really even want the actual item but want to come back and save some photos for reference but don't have the time or inclination to do so right then.  

Lots of reasons......

BIN does not sell but relisted at lower price....ebay e-mails you if it happens.

BIN price higher than you want to pay.....so you watch, see if another is listed cheaper. But buy this one if not.

BIN price to high.....watch in hope seller lowers price...seen it and bought.

etc..etc

Perfect example is there's an auction right now I'm watching that the seller has had on eBay for at least two weeks now. It's the diecast Danbury Mint 1/12 scale 1964 1/2 Mustang convertible. IIRC, the original BIN price was around $1000 with the model having a few issues. No one's biting, but now the price is down to $730 as of today. Naturally, there's a bunch of other folks watching (17 to be exact at this moment) as they'll jump at the chance if/when the price hits their "point".

I'm not interested in this one particularly as I have one, but it is neat to watch as the seller obviously wants to sell, but is lowering it day by day a little at a time, and at some point someone will buy it.