Model Cars Magazine Forum

Best Way to Store Molotow Pens?

Point up, point down, or flat? I haven't had very good luck with the type of tip used on the Molotow pens. They're good for a use or two but put them away for a couple months and they've gone bad. Don't want this to happen to my new $12 Molotow. (I just started a 2mm one, if the tip size makes any difference.)

My beloved Silver Sharpies, on the other hand, work fine after months and months if stored point down. Even if not stored point down, I can usually get one working again with a "thermometer shake" or two if there's anything at all left in it. 

BTW, I noticed yesterday that they're now packaging the metallic Sharpies point down on the display card. B)

Edited by Snake45

30 minutes ago, JollySipper said:

I store mine tip up........ the ink will run back down from the tip and it will kinda dry out if not used much, but a pump or two of the tip and a shake gets the ink back flowing.........

I had that happen with a nice finepoint white Sharpie, and then I shook it and pumped it and now the ink (or whatever it is) will come out around the pump, but not through the tip at all. :angry:

17 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

I had that happen with a nice finepoint white Sharpie, and then I shook it and pumped it and now the ink (or whatever it is) will come out around the pump, but not through the tip at all. :angry:

You may could get the Sharpie working again with a quick dip of the tip in some rubbing alcohol? 

1 hour ago, RAT-T said:

I HAVEN'T USED ONE OF THESE YET, HOW MANY SIZES ARE THERE?

The ones that I have found at Hobby Lobby come in 1MM, 2MM, and 4MM sizes, and they also have refills for the pens that can be sprayed through an airbrush and eliminates the need for the pens. 

6 minutes ago, highway said:

The ones that I have found at Hobby Lobby come in 1MM, 2MM, and 4MM sizes, and they also have refills for the pens that can be sprayed through an airbrush and eliminates the need for the pens. 

THANKS HIGHWAY

3 hours ago, JollySipper said:

You may could get the Sharpie working again with a quick dip of the tip in some rubbing alcohol? 

I tried that with a 1mm Molotow pen that had a stuck tip (wouldn't move up or down).  Dipped the tip in alcohol, then pressed it down on a piece of scrap paper.  A LOT of liquid came out at first, after the dip.  Then it went back to working fine again, with just a "dot" of liquid coming out when the tip is pressed. 

It's still working fine and that was a few months ago.  I didn't waste the liquid that came out.  I dipped a fine brush in it and applied it like regular paint.  I know Molotow is an alcohol-based ink, but it seems to thin and clean up OK with Tamiya X-20A regular acrylic thinner.

To answer the question in the OP, I store the Molotows tip up.  The same way I store Micron pens and similar markers.

Edited by Mike999

Tip-up , as to avoid flooding the business-end ( opposite with the Sharpies ; those I store tip-down ) .

Another key component to the Molotow Pens : c-a-r-e-f-u-l-l-y twist the cap off by holding the tip's base (see attached image) , as to not disturb its position , and subsequently its contents (the ink) .

MolotowPenGrasp.jpg.5081f07e09bff78a19c9f47475fca746.jpg

https://shop.molotow.com/marker-refills.html

They have a 5mm coming out . They also sell a refill and new tips. After looking around I see they sell empty markers with different size tips. Someone else needs to go look around about storage I found nothing. Not sure if the empty markers are good for the chrome markers.