Model Cars Magazine Forum

Regarding my New Compressor

I went to Michaels to pick up a Badger Aspire compressor, found out they're out and wont be stocking them anymore.They did have a AS180-12 on clearance. So I picked it up. Opened it up, expecting an air regulator to be attached and saw there was none. I'm thinking I can pick one up at one of the local stores and and I'll be good to go? Am i right or am I wrong. only other compressor I've had experience with was my old CH. That had it's own built in regulator.

Also, Does anyone have experience with this compressor? Did I waste my money? I was going to get another CH but they're loud, especially at night. And living in an apartment building I didn't want to be disturbing anyone when I get my usual bouts of insomnia and paint at 3AM.

Thanks, Mike

I would get a small regulator/moisture trap combo for it. I would also get an airline with 1/4" fittings on both ends. hook that airline from the compressor to the input of the regulator/trap then hook your airbrush hose to the the output of the it. This will allow the hot air to cool and let the water condensate and be caught by the trap. If you mount it right to the output of the compressor  the moisture will stay in the air and come out further down the line or in the airbrush itself. Also if you have a dedicated place you paint, you can have the regulator mounted within reach.

https://www.amazon.com/airbrush-regulator-moisture-trap/s?ie=UTF8&page=1&rh=i%3Aaps%2Ck%3Aairbrush regulator moisture trap

I'm not sure about your model compressor, but my older badger has a plastic "plug"with a foam filter. I removed the foam and made a larger filter/ muffler with some PVC, a plastic sour cream container and some cotton balls.  It quieted the compressor a little more than just the foam plug. If you are interested, I can get some pics to show you how I made it.

Edited by Psychographic

2 hours ago, crazyjim said:

Use quick disconnect fittings.  Does the unit have a storage tank?  If not, take it back for a refund.

I agree with this 100%

24 minutes ago, Psychographic said:

You don't need a storage tank for an airbrush.

You don't need one but it helps stop pressure spikes when starting and stopping. Along with this, a friend of mine lives in a condo and he has a compressor from home depot with a 15 gallon tank. Bought during a fathers day sale it was $150.

He runs it until it is full during the day/afternoon and then he can paint whenever he wants to. He just unplugs it so it wont fire up at 3 am and piss off his neighbors. A 15 gallon tank with the air stored at 120 psi will paint one and maybe even 2 model cars depending on scale and complexity. 15 gallons of air stored at 120 psi lasts a long time when you are only using it at 10-15 psi.

Just to give you another option to think over.

42 minutes ago, Psychographic said:

You don't need a storage tank for an airbrush.

"Need" might be true.  But when my dad got my compressor (when I was just starting out), he rigged up a fire extinguisher for a tank, and a pressure regulator.  I find it handy when all I need is a quick use, or cleaning the airbrush.

As a signpainter/custom painter for over 40 years, I've used Badgers, Paasches, Devilbiss,  Iwatas, and a few no name airbrushes. I've never had a problem with pulsing. I've done airbrushed letters as larges as 24" with the brush running wide open with no problems. The compressor the OP is looking at is on demand so there is always pressure in the line,  that kills the idea of it spiking. What is the difference if the air is on hold in a tank or in an airline?

If you are having problems with your compressor pulsing, you either have a junk or worn out compressor, or possibly the reed valve or diaphragm is dirty or worn out, or possibly you have a leak somewhere.

I see absolutely no need for a tank other than if the compressor kicking on and off as you use it annoys you.

Edited by Psychographic

6 hours ago, MikeRousseau said:

I went to Michaels to pick up a Badger Aspire compressor, found out they're out and wont be stocking them anymore.They did have a AS180-12 on clearance. So I picked it up. Opened it up, expecting an air regulator to be attached and saw there was none. I'm thinking I can pick one up at one of the local stores and and I'll be good to go? Am i right or am I wrong. only other compressor I've had experience with was my old CH. That had it's own built in regulator.

Also, Does anyone have experience with this compressor? Did I waste my money? I was going to get another CH but they're loud, especially at night. And living in an apartment building I didn't want to be disturbing anyone when I get my usual bouts of insomnia and paint at 3AM.

Thanks, Mike

Did you check AC Moore. I got the Aspire there with a 50% off coupon. I love it. It is the quietest compressor I have had. I have noticed a difference with a tank when running the airbrush wide open for  long period. A compressor without a tank is OK but one with a tank is better.

Edited by 935k3

• 2 weeks later...

As mentioned above, the until was pulsing a little, so i brought it back,. My only option locally was another CH from Canadian Tire, so I decided to order a Master with a tank from TCP Global. Should be here this week. Hope it works fine because we all hate packing up defective item and returning! Thanks for the  posts guys, much appreciated.

I worked for years with a compressor without a tank, and since 2002 I've worked with a compressor with a tank. The latter is infinitely preferable and I would never willingly go back to tankless. 

Among the tank's advantages is that you can fill it at the beginning of a session (takes maybe 3-5 minutes), then turn the compressor off and airbrush for a good long time silently. My tank is only 2-3 gallons and will get me through most of my normal airbrushing sessions. (Initial fill is @ 125 psi.) 

I've said many times, the day I bought my Walmart C-H compressor and hooked it up in 2002 was the single happiest day of my adult modeling life. 

On 4/1/2018 at 9:00 AM, Snake45 said:

I've said many times, the day I bought my Walmart C-H compressor and hooked it up in 2002 was the single happiest day of my adult modeling life. 

Ya, thats pretty much how I felt when I got my Pace Paint booth! :)

As I've said in another post, last year i had to sell everything. 500+ models, tools...everything, thousands of dollars worth of stuff. Including my Pace. Well the guy I sold it all to..cheap, was so happy, when i go back to buy a kit here and there he GIVES them to me, plus 5 or 6 more. I told Him i was saving for a new booth, and what did he do? He GAVE it back to me...no charge. 24inch Super mini! Would have cost me over $500 to buy a new one! Anyway, nothing to do with my original post...but..

Me so happy!