Model Cars Magazine Forum

VW GOLF GTi mk1 - stanced yob racer

geetee66

I had a yellow '77 Golf mk1, years ago. It wasn't a GTi, but it was a great car.

As a little break from '50's chrome, I've changed tack and given this a go.

My plan is to slam it, widen the track and flare the arches. Paint will be old and a bit faded, like mine was and I'll stickerbomb it in a couple of places.

Got the engine done today. It built up really well. Nice to build a kit with modern tooling.

I added a basic fuel injection system and weathered it a bit.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

So, a quick build turned into a longer one after I deliberated over wheels. 

I ended up buying two sets from some dudes in Japan and one set from a matey in Ukraine. 

I can't decide whether to modify these Aoshima flared arches, or cut n wedge the body arches and blend them with filler.

I'm using 14" wheels, as my research shows these are a popular choice with the Dub crowd.

the Chrome rims are Aoshima and the resin ones are Scale Productions. Both have asymmetrical stance tyres.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, CabDriver said:

Nice building Guy!  Looks great so far - the detail and weathering on that engine bay is GREAT!  Where did you get the decals for the battery?

Thanks!

the battery decal is in the kit. Amazing detail. Top marks to Revell (Germany) for excellent printing. If you look close enough, you can even make out the tiny warning symbols.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/04/2018 at 7:46 PM, CabDriver said:

Nice building Guy!  Looks great so far - the detail and weathering on that engine bay is GREAT!  Where did you get the decals for the battery?

Thanks!

the battery decal is in the kit. Amazing detail. Top marks to Revell (Germany) for excellent printing. If you look close enough, you can even make out the tiny warning symbols.

I don't know. Maybe the Klear wasn't thick enough to protect the colour? Or maybe the surface needs a better key for the primer?

It appears that the water got in through tiny pinholes, then bubbled up. 

I use a spot of detergent, when I wet sand, to lift the garbage away from the surface. Maybe anionic surfactants disagree with acrylics?

I don't think I'll use acrylics for exteriors or anything which needs polishing, again.

I only use Vallejo acrylic paint for interior fabric or leather - it has poor adhesion and strength, even over another acrylic.  I've had good results with Model Master acrylics.  Very good work on those flares.

Edited by GerN

Thanks chaps!

I'm glad you approve, especially those of you who have inside knowledge of the scene.

I saved the paint disaster on the roof, with a stickerbomb decal. I'm pleased with the way it looks. It went down well, too. Got it from a geezer in Germany. The kit stripe decals were very good and a lot stronger than some I've used.

IMG_2334.JPG