Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint booth fan

Get yourself a 6" inline hydroponics vent fan. These work great and can handle anything you spray, I use lacquers, basecoats, 2k clear and no smell or overspray enters the room.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/NEW-6-Inch-Inline-Hydroponic-Duct-Fan-Exhaust-Blower/272259787678?hash=item3f63f2ab9e:m:mzc3V6j4fyRmNmvQ4MBGdNQ

Edited by Mike Chernecki

• 2 weeks later...

Something to consider here, and seriously so (it was the subject of a very long thread several years ago!) is that any blower or fan that is in the airstream of paint fumes, particularly rattle can or airbrush, NEEDS to be a brushless, spark-proof unit, and if possible, even that outside of the air flow.  I dunno if Pace is still in business (they were not at the IPMS show in Indianapolis IN last month, which was where I hooked up with them back in 2010, though),  but Granger, the nationwide retailer of HVAC equipment does carry small "squirrel cage" blowers, meant to be mounted OUTSIDE of the air flow they generate (most if not all gas water heaters use the same size unit that my Pace Spraybooth is equipped with.

Bear in mind, that while the risk of explosion or fire from flammable spray paint fumes might seem miniscule, I for one consider it an unacceptable risk.  In addition, living in an apartment in a subdivided older house, which shares its HVAC system with two other apartments, I am very sensitive about causing any fumes or odors that could upset my neighbors,  and in many ways those can upset a spouse or other housemate(s) as well--not to mention the overspray "dust" that is inevitable.

Food for thought here?

Art

On 3/19/2018 at 12:20 AM, porschercr said:

I've read the thread about paint booths in the Tips Tricks and Tutorials.

Can't seem to find what I need. So, asking for a bit of help on fan selection.

Here are the specs on the booth, 20" x 20" x 20".

Trevor

My Pace spray booth has a "squirrel cage" blower, very small one, virtually identical to what is used on modern gas water heaters--whisper quiet, super effective, and the motor is brushless, completely out of the air stream.

Art

Art's right. I got a used 180 cfm fan from a industrial printer. Toner can be highly flammable and as such a good fan to use. Going on 25 years of use now. Making sure a used fan is suitable can be a trick so deal with someone you trust. 

an old professional paint shop calculation:

booth opening area in sq feet X 100 = cfm

so for a booth with a 20" by 20" opening the area would be about 2.75 sq feet, so you'd want a fan rated at 275 cfm.

That may seem a bit extreme, but that's what's recommended for professional paint installations, so you could get away with a bit less.

I cheated a bit and am using a modified 12 volt power supply to run a shrouded car radiator fan pulling about 900 cmf :D