[[Template core/front/global/utilitiesMenu does not exist. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]
Sign in to follow this  
impcon

1958 Imperial Scrap Body & Misc Parts

I picked up this '58 Imperial hardtop kit and a convertible on the weekend at the first model car swap meet that I have attended in over two decades. Sadly, it is the only one on the West Coast of B.C. for the year. . Unfortunately, the hardtop has taken a hit by someone with a butcher tool of some sort and the rear fins have been amputated. So, I am hoping to find a donor body that I can remove the fins from and adapt to fit this body as opposed to trying to find a good body. It's such a shame because the body is so clean and normally, I'd not paint it as it is so nice, but the needed surgery, if it is successful, will mean the car will need to be painted. Even just the back half of a body with cruiser skirt rash would do for me to try to salvage the fins to save this otherwise pristine body...

Also need a grille, wheels ( need five wheel covers as I have the tires and axles ), axles and hubcaps or any extra chrome, stock parts. Also need a convertible windshield for the convertible. Will happily purchase and pay shipping costs. I'd offer to trade, but  it depends if I have what you need. Please PM me if you can help. Thanks. Gary

DSC00039.JPG

DSC00038.JPG

Edited by impcon

Looks like somebody severed the fins off a shark and left it to die on the beach. Such a shame.

Hope you find your parts and can save it. It deserves a better fate.

Hi Gary, I think I can help

First of all, are you certain that it's a '58?

The side trim looks more like a '59 to me.

Second, I don't think it's quite as pristine as you might think at first glance.

The door handles have been removed and it looks like the chrome spear on the front fender has been sanded off as well.

Likewise, the "Imperial" script has also been sanded off of the front fender.

It also looks like the trunk handle & script has been removed from the trunk lid.

A give away that this is a '59 & not a '58 is the trim on the rear fender behind the rear wheel.

The '59 had a chrome panel in that location.

The '58 did not.

Steve

image.png.09cf9798445d907f01da8c9b55640e7f.png

image.png.a056a8aa5fcd4a0eb1b94385364c5ca2.png

Does it have the Imperial "Eagle" on the hood? If not, it could be a 59 like Steve wrote. 58's are ultra rare. Maybe a derelict 59 will give you the fins you need.  I wish you good luck on your search..

After doing a bit more research, I'm pretty certain that your example is a '59 Gary.

But if you do want a '58 body, there is a guy on ebay selling a pair of true, 1958, damaged convertible bodies for $18.00.

Steve

Thanks guys,

It seems that what I actually have is a '58 convertible and the hardtop amputee is in fact a '59 with, as you pointed out Steve, the scripts, door handles, hood and fender front ornamentation sanded off.  When I bought the cars at the swap meet,  the seller and I agreed on a $20.00 price on the convertible and after I paid him for it he produced the hardtop and for just $5.00 more, I owned both cars. He said that he had bought the hardtop for the rear bumper thinking that the hardtop was also a '58. After I made this post, I noticed that the hardtop bumpers says 1959 and not 1958. But it's all good as no matter what, I am tickled half to death with my purchases.

I'll try to repair the hardtop rather than gut it as it has a nice,clean unpainted interior and good glass and restore it as best I can. All else failing, I'll wait for another body to show up on Ebay. i know there is a much newer release of the hardtop but I just have a thing for these old annuals and if this one can be saved, then so much the better. Grafting those fins on may be a bit above my pay grade and abilities but I am going to try.. Aside from the windshield, the convertible only needs tail lights, the center for the deck lid "spare tire" and one wheel and hub cap.

I'm wondering if the Model King reissue parts would fit the hardtop - does anyone know? Again, I'd prefer the proper old parts and they'll likely show up on Ebay sooner or later I suppose. Ron, you mentioned that the '59's are kinda scarce - I had no idea and to me, it doesn't matter although that is an interesting fact. I bought the models because I liked them and could afford them and while rarity is nice and interesting, I like the oldies and to me, that is what matters. Thank you guys for pointing things out and I'll post pictures once I get the pieces gathered and get started on this. By the way, the two bodies on Ebay are gone. *sighs* Just my luck. I looked at them but funds are low right now, so I passed. Guess maybe I shouldn't have.

DSC00040.JPG

I have a 1958 Imperial convertible promo I am going to part out.

I bought it for the tail lights and steering wheel.

The Model King reissue is just that.

A reissue, & the parts from the newer release will be the exact same parts as the original annual.

If it were mine, I would scrap out the '59.

With the Model King re-releases some years ago, the '59 is not all that rare.

I'll bet that if you look closely, you will find that the '59 hard top could be built as a hard top or convertible.

The kit came with a top boot, and an optional hard top.

My guess is the '58 had the same option.

I believe that you misinterpreted Ron's statement.

The '58 is the rare one, and it looks as if you've found a pretty nice one at a very good price.

If they were mine, I would concentrate my efforts on the '58 & use the '59 for parts.

I don't think it's worth the effort of trying to restore the body.

Steve

AMT-MK-21850-2.jpgamt-amt-21567p-1959-chrysler-imperial-12

I have both these kits. Indeed, they can be built as hardtop, or convertible.

Thanks guys,

I checked the hardtop closely Steve and yes, the hard top was an add on, It isn't noticeable unless you are really looking for it. I'm not inclined to throw old models away even if they are butchered so that hardtop may still have a future. I'm going to try my hand at replacing the fins and if the project is a flop, then I'm not out anything really because it has a super clean interior, a good chassis and glass. I understand that sometimes, a project just ain't worth it, and saving the hardtop is not exactly a matter of life and death. But I am going to step out of the box here and try to see if I can make something out of that old car one day. I'll just keep trying to gather parts - just in case... :<)))

By the way, it was my fat fingers that typed "59" and not "58" like I meant to. My apologies. *blushes*

6 minutes ago, impcon said:

Thanks guys,

I checked the hardtop closely Steve and yes, the hard top was an add on, It isn't noticeable unless you are really looking for it. I'm not inclined to throw old models away even if they are butchered so that hardtop may still have a future. I'm going to try my hand at replacing the fins and if the project is a flop, then I'm not out anything really because it has a super clean interior, a good chassis and glass. I understand that sometimes, a project just ain't worth it, and saving the hardtop is not exactly a matter of life and death. But I am going to step out of the box here and try to see if I can make something out of that old car one day. I'll just keep trying to gather parts - just in case... :<)))

By the way, it was my fat fingers that typed "59" and not "58" like I meant to. My apologies. *blushes*

By all means Gary, it's your kit & you can do with it what you like.

I was just trying to point out that it would most likely be much easier just to find a better '59 body & use the rest of the parts that you have to replicate a nice '59.

It's merely my personal opinion that I wouldn't mess with the '59 body as it is.

Not only because of the fin situation, but all of the other issues as well.

At this point, you would almost have to do some sort of custom with it, and of course, that is not beyond the realm of possibility.

Steve

Thanks Steve.. Time alone will tell what the 59's fate will be. I appreciate and respect your opinions.