Model Cars Magazine Forum

Seventies Land Yachts?

Merc-57

4 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

"Submitted for your approval ..." How about the "Land Barge" police models ??? The 1974-1977 Dodge Monaco (and Royal Monaco)  and Plymouth Fury were the last of the big-sized police cars ( Ford and GM having downsized their full-size lines by '76 , '77 ) .

I'm still holing out hope for a 1993-1996 Caprice 9C1 ---- a full-detail version , of course .

Yes yes yes, this this this , so much this and yes.

15 hours ago, Luc Janssens said:

I'm with you, love them big Amercan cars of the '70s, but the question is are there enough of us in the world to support kits of those subjects.

I think so , but it would have to be the right subjects , just my opinion of course, and should not be mistaken for me speaking for the entire hobby world wide.

Edited by martinfan5

12 hours ago, martinfan5 said:

I think so , but it would have to be the right subjects , just my opinion of course, and should not be mistaken for me speaking for the entire hobby world wide.

I'm a child from the '70s (born in '68) and from another continent, so I remember these from growing up, watching TV shows and movies, Big Lincolns and Cadillacs were driven by the mafia, police cars were mostly Mopar, except on the streets of San Fransisco, and moms drove their kids to school in '76 Ford LTD's Country Squires...going on memory and generalising here, but the pics of cars that pop up in my head of what looked pleasing to the eye, when I was a kid, still please me now.

That's my story and I'm sticking with it.

I can't tell anything about lack of build quality, lack of power, to me the're just images of good times flown by, growing up...

:D

Edited by Luc Janssens

The 500 was introduced on the '70 Eldorado.  It was the only engine available on the Eldorado from 1970-1976, followed by the 425 for 1977 and 1978.  It became standard on the other large Cadillacs for 1975 and 1976 only.  It was never an optional engine on the other Cadillacs.  There is a tune-up or emissions label on the cars with the 500 engine with a '501' printed on it.  It does not refer to the engine displacement, but I don't know what it signifies.

former owner of a '71 Eldorado, current owner of a '68 and '77 Eldorado

Born in '68 and from an early age I was artificially nostalgic for the cars of my father's youth; his '57 Chevy, my uncle's '59 Fury and the '58 Buicks and Chevys due to the two assembled kits I had acquired from him. My recollections of 70s iron revolved around our family '73 Dart that developed rust at an alarmingly early point in it's life; I though it was inferior to my grandfather's '69 Impala in so many ways.

In any event, from the marketing standpoint and independent of my own lack of interest in the subject, I could only recommend freshly tooled Camaros, Firebirds and pick-ups. At the same time I'd snap up a Continental Mark IV, curb side or full-engine.

I was born in '70, so I remember a lot of big 70s cars from childhood (my folks drove Fords, Mercurys and Lincolns) and TV shows of the era.    70s cars are a sweet spot of old cars for me...have a bunch in resin and kits in my stash.   I especially like the '70s full sizers, personal luxury coupes and convertibles...I like a lot of '60s cars also, but can't really get into 50s and earlier cars much because they were too far before my time. 

Born a year after Sputnik, so there were plenty of chrome rockets on the streets when I was growing up, but I never got this idea that you should limit your interests to the span of your lifetime.  I love the prewar classics, and the machines from the dawn of the automotive age have always been fascinating.  Yes, the 70s were not a great time for cars, or for anything else, but even the biggest mountain of dross will yield a few flecks of gold, and you would get the occaisional flash of brilliance, or at least, competence.

2 minutes ago, SfanGoch said:

How about a '71 Lincoln Mark III or a '72 Mark IV? If they were good enough for Frank Cannon to stuff his obese carcass in, they're good enough to build.

I like those, along with the crisp '77-79 Mark V...  my Dad liked the Marks, but always bought Continentals and Town Cars for the family cars in the '70s-80s.   I like the '77-78 Toronado XS with the wrap around rear glass also...

On 3/19/2018 at 7:04 PM, Can-Con said:

You said it yourself Mike, and I've seen a lot of other people say it when the subject of '70s cars comes up. ,,,

Image result for 72 riviera rear

Make mine a '72, just because my 1/1 was a '72 but a '71 wouldn't be bad. 

How bout a 71 with a separate trunk lid and grill. Include a 72 trunk lid and grill. This is the most neede car ever. To bad Johan isn’t still around. They were the only company capable of getting this Cars proportions right. Revell hasn’t a chance. 

49 minutes ago, yellowsportwagon said:

How bout a 71 with a separate trunk lid and grill. Include a 72 trunk lid and grill. This is the most neede car ever. To bad Johan isn’t still around. They were the only company capable of getting this Cars proportions right. Revell hasn’t a chance. 

True, only other thing different between the '71 and '72 is the tail light lenses. Even the sew pattern on the seats and door panels is the same.

I doubt they would put both sets of parts in one box but they could do one stock and one as a low rider with wire wheels. Similar to how they did the '64 and '65 Chevy pickups, one was a stepside for one year the the other year was a fleetside.

Then they could swap them around again and do the low rider stock and the other one with larger mag wheels pro touring style.

There's four versions right there. ;)

Funny you should mention Revell though since that's who I heard a rumour about doing it a few years ago.

20 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

True, only other thing different between the '71 and '72 is the tail light lenses. Even the sew pattern on the seats and door panels is the same.

I doubt they would put both sets of parts in one box but they could do one stock and one as a low rider with wire wheels. Similar to how they did the '64 and '65 Chevy pickups, one was a stepside for one year the the other year was a fleetside.

Then they could swap them around again and do the low rider stock and the other one with larger mag wheels pro touring style.

There's four versions right there. ;)

Funny you should mention Revell though since that's who I heard a rumour about doing it a few years ago.

Revell just seems to get everything a little off. Compare a Revell 74-76 Torino to a Johan car. The body doesn’t tuck under at the bottom like I should and the top of the windshield isnt right. Johan got it perfect. I’m a nut on body shape. An a boattail Riv is one of my top 5 cars. So if someone does it do it right. Or don’t.

On 3/19/2018 at 12:12 PM, Luc Janssens said:

I don't like it, but fear you're right;)

These threads always go like this, no market for truck models, no market for old cars, no market for small cars etc, usually followed by the hobby is dying, kids just want to play video games...   

Then the next thing you know one of the companies comes along with a Hudson Hornet, a 1950 Oldsmobile, a modern Ford F250, 1970s Ford pickups, a full detail Hummer, not one but 2 Citroen DS- kits...

Never say never, who would have put money on a kit of an Isuzu I-Mark being tooled up?   

The '69-'72 GP had a long hood, but I think the '71-'78 Eldorado and Toronado would win that contest! 

I think there is a strong market for some large 1970s cars.  1970 was the last year more than one make of full-size car was available to build as a kit or buy as a promo (Impala, Bonneville, Wildcat, Coupe deVille, LTD).  That's pretty sad as there were many cars from that period that should have been done. Most of the tooling is now done overseas at lower labor rates, and I think the naysayers on this board would be surprised at how well some of these would sell.  Those who want typical family sedans and wagons can probably forget it as there is really no market for those outside of the resin casters.  How about a '70 or '71 Sport Fury GT, '70 XL, '70 or '71 300, or a sharp convertible like the '71 Delta 88 Royale?  Going down a bit in size, how about the '72 Thunderbird, Mark III, Mark IV, and Mark V, and  '71-'73 Rivieras?  How about an Eldorado convertible?  For the intermediates, a '70-'73 Ranchero GT, or a '77-'79 Ranchero GT, along with early to mid-'70s El Caminos, would sell, as would a '73 442 and any Indy Pace Car.  How many Yenko or Baldwin Motion Camaros or other cars we never saw do we really want as a kit?  Wouldn't most of you rather see cars you remember from that time period?  

54 minutes ago, foxbat426 said:

I Would love to see a 70 or 71 Plymouth Fury I II or III or better yet how about a 70 or 71 Fury Sport!!  In my opinion, the 70 Fury Sport is a beautiful car!

Not only is the GT nice , but its less-expensive relative is , too : "S23" (as in PS23 ; the V.I.N. prefix) . I'd imagine that the 335hp 383 Super Commando would be sufficient to make that C-body move !